Ticks Ground United Airlines Flight

(9 posts)
  1. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 11:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

According to CNN "Flight 1178 from Denver to Des Moines was delayed for nearly six hours on Tuesday after a passenger informed a flight attendant that she found a tick in economy class during a flight from Washington, DC. "

The article states that another planes was flown into Denver to make the flight to Des Moines. Here is the link
    http://www.odt.co.nz/news/world/12776/ticks-a-plane-bug-delays-us-flight

"United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said between one and three ticks were discovered. Urbanski said the airline hasn't figured out how the ticks got on the plane or what type of ticks were found."

Anybody want to wager that these ticks actually have six legs & are properly described as bed bugs?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 11:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Good spotting Doug, I have had reports of people finding them on planes before now so would not be too surprised.

It all comes back to the fact that Bed Bugs are exposure pests , they move from location to location along with people, the only way to make sure an area remains BB free is not to have people or anything pass through it.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 17:56:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man. Yeah, if bed bugs are often spread by travelers, imagine how many of the damn things could be in the luggage hold crawling between someone else's bag and your own, or under your seat!!!!

Crap

I'm taking a flight next month. I'm going to be checking EVERYTHING - my seat, my bag when it comes out, and my hotel room.

4. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 4:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ack! Bedbugs? That didn't even occur to me until Doug Summers mentioned it.

But Denver has plenty of its own bedbugs. No need to import them from Washington, D.C. Unless they were Denver bedbugs returning from a lobbying trip to the Capitol.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 6:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Makes sense.

Probably lobbying Congress to defeat the passage of the pending bed bug bill.

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 9:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a story on a TV news program a week or so ago that a lady started a lawsuit against some airline because during the whole trip she was getting bit from what the report said was mites. I tried to find this story on the web but was not successful.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 11:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Good catch, Doug. It would not surprise me. I am disturbed that they found between one and three "ticks."

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 21:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

How the heck do they think "ticks" got in the plane? Were deer running around the runway and hopping into planes? Why don't they get someone who knows to tell them these things are actually BED BUGS! Maybe they think then they will really cut down on their customer base. Geeeeezzzz!

9. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 9:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

A good chance that they were bed bugs but an equal chance that they were indeed ticks.
    Ticks can hitch a ride on items such as backpacks or clothing very easily, they can also be on humans for a time and then wander off.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur