Throwing away everything and moving strategy

(16 posts)
  1. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Jan 25 2018 15:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I have had bed bugs in a rented apartment for several months. The landlord has done several treatments but they haven't worked.

I am fortunate to be in a position where most of the contents in the apartment can be thrown away. I would like to keep some electronics like my tv, laptop, modem, router and a few other things like jewelry, passport, important documents. I can throw out all furniture, clothing.

I am also in a position where I would like to buy a house.

I have (very stupidly) bought a brand new car already. I had no choice because the previous one died completely. Perhaps I should have bought a beater till I was all moved but what is done is done.

Am I better off buying a house right away or would it be better for me to rent somewhere else for a little while to make sure I don't take bed bugs to a new place I will own?

What kind of strategy would you experienced folks recommend for me.

2. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Jan 27 2018 2:07:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If you move to a rented apartment? first and take bugs there, how would you be better off?
    If you do buy a house, can I assume you can afford treatment?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Jan 27 2018 16:14:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am just confused about what to do so thinking out loud. Maybe it is not a good strategy and that is what I am trying to figure out. My intent is not to spread them somewhere else even though that's what my idea may have come across as! My goal is to be totally sure that I don't take them to a place that I own.

I can afford treatment and had it done four times. It is just not working!

The stuff in the apartment is end of life fortunately except the few things I mentioned.. electronics mostly. Everything was bought new initially but I will not feel bad about throwing a lot of it away. I would probably do that even if I had no bed bugs and was just moving.

I am just very scared to buy a place and have that contaminated. I want to be very sure that doesn't happen. I want to do everything I can possibly do to make sure a property I own will not have this issue.

In the building all my neighbors are having the same problem. I don't travel much and doubt I was the original source. But.. if the treatment fixes my issue and bugs come in from the neighbors place it is pointless...but I have seen bed bugs three days after the treatments so I don't think they are actually working. They are certainly bed bugs. I have caught them, looked at pictures and shown them to several pest control guys who agreed.

4. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Jan 27 2018 18:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

To add: I have been getting bitten frequently and the bites are consistent with bed bug bites. So the fact that I have caught them, had them professionally id'ed and have bites leaves no question that I have a serious bed bug problem.

It's just the strategy to"break up" with them permanently I need some help with 😁

5. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 2:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't afford a house and I don't live in the US so I can only tell you hypothetically what I would do.
    I would buy the new house, throw out most of your stuff, treat the rest, live happily ever after.

6. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 13:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok.. thanks. So you think then that it is unnecessary to live somewhere else for a while to make sure that the bed bugs have not followed me.

I was kicked out of the place while the treatments were being done. What is the best way to treat these items? Tv for example? Is it necessary to treat paper documents. I will throw away all unnecessary stuff and keep only some documents that are important and I can't throw away.

7. jacksonsi

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 15:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

You can purchase Nuvan strips for the electronics and paper. They are sold on Amazon. Also, if you purchase a new home, you will want to set out active monitors before closing. I wish we would have thought of that. We purchased a home and it was infested with bed bugs. That's how we got them ;(

8. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 21:08:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I have read about nuvan strips. Do you guys have experience with them? Are they very reliable? One drawback from what I read is that you have to leave the items sealed for a really long time. I can make that a priority and live without a tv for a while as long as it is going to work really well!

Bed bugs really suck. They can leave you in a very desperate financial situation. It is unfortunate that you can't buy some sort of "insurance". For example, if I buy and furnish a house and have to throw everything out, that will be really really bad!

9. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 1:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I think nuvan works in a few days, google it.

I read somewhere that buying an infested house was grounds to sue.
    That may have only been in Canada and probably and coming from an infested apartment would probably weaken the case.

10. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 1:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I will in some more detail. I recall reading it needs about a month. I also tried to order it in the past... That and some heating device (packtite?) but like you I am in Canada and Amazon said there were legal issues shipping to me. It wasn't cheap for sure from what I remember! You may be able to reuse for different items.. but that is both annoying and possibly riskier.

Who brought bed bugs from where and when is not only difficult to prove but also difficult to figure out! I looked into it to try to buy some insurance when I buy a house.. but it just doesn't seem to exist! The reasoning seems to be that bed bugs are annoying but cause no damage.. so technically you don't have to write things off... I am sure that anyone who has been through this will wholeheartedly agree that that is bs!

It's getting pretty bad.. I just got completely chewed up in my bed.. I see skins and bloodstains everywhere. I washed my sheets a few days ago and it was ok last night. I just took a shower and am going to sleep on the couch (which also has them but it is not as bad tonight).

I am completely losing my mind!

11. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 10:09:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, do nuvan strips actually have to make contact with the bed bugs to kill them? Ie. If a bug crawls on it it dies? Or does it create some sort of 'toxic environment' for the bed bugs. If it is the latter, I would be more inclined to say it can work.

12. mp7ski

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 8:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I lived in a house with bed bugs for almost a year going through multiple treatments with little success... I ended up throwing away 90% of our stuff, heat treating the rest and using nuvan strips, then having it all fumigated with vikane... And I still took the bugs with us. I went above and beyond... Treated everything we took multiple times and thoroughly... And it didn't work. Moving from bed bugs is possible, my dad did it about 7 years ago, but he threw out everything, including his clothes.

Moving from bed bugs is extremely difficult but I had no choice but to try and in the end, even after everything I did, it didn't work.

About 10000 dollars down the drain. Honestly, I don't trust anything these days. Definitely not the nuvan pro strips. I had electronics bagged up with the strips for months with proper space in the bag and it seems that didn't work.

I'm not saying not to try to move from them, but keep in mind how difficult it is and that taking them with you is likely.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  13. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 10:44:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved out during an unresolved infestation a little over a year ago and were successful-- if you can call losing 99% of your belongings a "success".

All we took were clothes (treated in a hot dryer, bagged and moved immediately), and electronics (sealed in contractor trash bags with Nuvan strips for 2 weeks). The electronics probably weren't infested to begin with, but we didn't want to take any risks.

We have cats so the carriers were steamed just prior to moving the cats, and the cats were groomed with a flea comb just before going in the carriers.

14. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 13:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I also moved to escape bedbugs. We took only clothes which went directly from dryer to bag to car (thankfully our car was clear). Everything else went in storage for 3 years or thrown away. It's possible but I'd say it really depends on the level of infestation. If any bombs or foggers were used that lessens the chance of success in my opinion. I'm lucky that the BBs were localized to my bedroom specifically my bed and a small recliner that started the whole thing to begin with. It's not an easy choice to make, we easily spent around 6000 replacing what we needed.

15. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 20:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My God.. this is the most depressing thing ever.

I am sorry to hear your stories and they are making me sick to my stomach.

I am in a good position in the sense that stuff I own is end of life for the most part. But there are a few things you just can't throw away. Passport, jewelry for example (I just said the same thing in another post as well).

I think that throwing almost everything away and moving to a temporary place is my only real option. I don't want to give anyone else a bed bug problem but better a big real estate company than me. I really don't want to do this.. it doesn't feel right, but what choice is there? If I buy a house and have a problem there, I will be thoroughly ****'ed.

I have found the dryer works but only for thin clothing like a shirt. If you live in Canada, you are likely to have a down filled winter jacket. A dryer absolutely does not work on something like this. I left mine in for 3 cycles (2.5 hours!) at the highest heat possible and it was the only thing in there. I still saw bugs coming out of it.

I will never live in a building again.

16. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 14:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya, coats, duvets, blankets, etc. are hard to treat in a dryer.
    It's in tbe FAQ.
    Anything bulky.
    I'm also not convinced all the dryers in my laundry room are well maintained and properly heat.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,502 posts in 44,036 topics over 133 months by 19,282 of 19,911 members. Latest: trez1336, Aegis_, paulsinn