Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Throw away my sofa? Make my parents keep my puppy?

(8 posts)
  1. MiserableInNewOrleans

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 21:19:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So tonight I sat down to watch the game and 2 hours later my back is literally covered in dozens if not hundreds of bites. This is the first time that I've sat on my sofa for any length of time.

Complimenting matters is that my 11 month old puppy loves to hang out on the sofa - will sometimes spend hours each day on the sofa while I work upstairs in my office. I noticed the poor little bugger scratching like crazy all day and night today. It's been a rough day to say the least.

Questions -

1. Should I just throw the sleeper sofa and matching chair into the dumpster? They're both very nice - leather and cost over $5000 total 3 years ago. I hate to lose them but it seems hopeless to think that I could get this sleeper sofa clear with all the nooks and crannies that BB's could hide in. Further, the ottoman and matching lounge chair are probably infected as well.

2. My parents are retired and are about to be returning to their summer apartment in Wisconsin. Should I basically force them to bring my dog with them to keep for several months so I can get BB free? I don't see any way in the world that I can effectively fight these damn things when the little guy runs all over and probably transports them from room to room, which will undo any work the PCO does.

3. My mattress cover came today. Should I put it on my bed immediately, or should I wait until my stickies trap a few bb's and the PCO makes his first visit?

Thanks much - I am crying right now as I continue to grasp how awful this situation is. I just have no support system other than you guys.

2. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 21:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure that you have BBs and not Fleas? I would wait to be sure. Best of luck either way, both are a giant pain!

3. MiserableInNewOrleans

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 21:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy, I guess the short answer is "no, I'm not 100% sure". My puppy is very shaggy and picks up fleas like crazy. He takes a tablet called Sentinal which kills any flea on his body within 30 minutes and also serves as his heartworm pill. So fleas aren't a problem on him any longer.

I guess I should not entirely rule out fleas, BUT...

1. Wouldn't I have seen a flea by now if I'm getting bit dozens/hundreds of times? Wouldn't only BBs continue to elude my sight? When I was looking for apartments 6 months ago, I went into one that had a flea infestation. Dozens of huge, black fleas were visible on the walls. Several made it outside with me onto my pants. I wish this problem were THAT visible and easy!!!

2. Do flea bites match all the evidence of BB bites? By that I mean that my bites are tiny, have no blood spot in the center, come in "groups" or "patches", and generally are unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I've been bitten by his fleas before I discovered Sentinal and I was not allergic to flea bites. I am very allergic to these current bites.

3. I travel like crazy and always left my suitcase on the floor of the hotel rooms. I can easily see how I picked up BBs and invited them into my home this way.

I hope to God I have fleas, and because of my shaggy puppy and his past problems I suppose I can't rule them out. But I fear with great confidence that it is indeed BBs.

So I guess at this point my rational course of action is to wait for the stickies to catch something and have my first PCO visit BEFORE putting on my mattress cover and throwing out any more furniture?

Thanks much,

MiserableInNOLA

4. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 21:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

NOLA,

Have the PCO come ASAP before doing too much. I guess you can put a cover on, that can't hurt but don't move stuff around too much. I wish you all the luck in the world. NOLA has had lots of bad luck recently, and I hope that it turns around for you! Enjoy your cute, shaggy puppy and only give him to your parents if necessary to keep him out of the pesticides. I have kids I am sending to my folks all day tomorrow for my retreatment.

5. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 22:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Miserable,
    Don't throw out anything yet.At least give treatment of all infested items a chance.After trying to treat it if you and pco decide it should be chucked ,make sure it's wrapped properly and destroyed so no one takes it and has the same problem. I think most items are salvagable if you are willing to make the commitment of patience and persistance,only you know if you want to do this.

6. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 3:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know - I think the puppy storage idea sounds like a good one. One less variable in what is a very difficult battle. It's not like you're losing the dog forever - like you might some furniture and belongings. Also, the puppy will be much happier not being bit all the time.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 9:30:24
    #

Login to Send PM

MiserableInNewO,
    Get a professional to inspect. Also some of the professionals on this site have talked about flea traps, get some please.
    I do not know what is meant by not 100% sure. You need to to get off of this site and start to call around and interview some exterminators right now.

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 18:13:12
    #

Login to Send PM

not sure if new orleans has a bedbug dog, but if so it would be worth considering to have a canine inspection. then not only would you know whether or not you have them, but if you DO have them you would also be shown the "hot spots" where they are hiding. dog inspections can be expensive, but worth the peace of mind i think. if your flea trap (and i believe that there is a plug in variety of flea trap that is supposed to be good) doesn't come up with anything, a canine inspection might be a good logical next step. wishing you lots of luck and sending support your way!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie