Three years, no signs ... only bites.

(16 posts)
  1. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 31 2012 19:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

This isn't my first message. Everyone who has responded in the past has told me the possibility of having bedbugs is pretty slim. But I can't resist... especially now, as my mother just called and mentioned that she has welts on our arms, legs, elbows, armpit, and other places. (This was after my daughter spent the night with her last weekend). Anways, I'm back in freak-out mode because for three years, I've thought we've had bedbugs ... and to think that we passed our misery onto family members makes me sick. Anyhow, here's our scenario: (it's long, but please read!)

1) We live in a log cabin. We're also in the woods, surrounded by a lot of standing water and tall grass. We have a very small patch of "lawn". The rest of our property is all woods. We're working on clearing out some areas, but the majority of it is real brushy, swampy, poison ivy ridden, deep woodsy areas ....

2) I live in central Michigan. The bites only show up when the weather gets warm. Our bite fiasco for 2012 started about 3 weeks ago, after a week long 'bout of 80-90 degree humid weather.

3) Bites (three in a row) started three years ago. Again, it's only during the warmer months. We never get bites during the winter. So many PCO's have told me that if we had bedbugs, we would have them year round because temperatures don't change much in homes; however, ours does. We burn wood during the winter, so our house temperature is not greatly regulated. Some mornings, our house is 50 degrees ... by afternoon, it could be 90. As for summer, we don't have central air -- so house temperature could be a hot and humid 90 degrees during the hot summer, but back down to a comfortable 65 by morning. Our house temperatures really are all over the place ..... if that makes any difference at all.

4) We have no pets, but I've often wondered if we have fleas. My daughter's friend comes over often and I was told their dog has had fleas in the past. Do they travel on people? Also, I've never seen a flea. I don't even know what they look like ... but I can't recall seeing things jump on and off me. Ever.

5) Mostly my husband and I get bit. My husband's bites are always on his ankles and forearms. I get them on my arms and torso/oblique area. We often get the "breakfast lunch dinner" pattern. My daughter has most recently gotten some bites on her this week. They're on her legs, behind her knees, some on her neck, and two on her face. They look like pimples on her. My husband -- more like large mosquito bites. Me? Like pimples.

6) I've never found blood marks, fecal stains, cast skins, or any bug that resembles a bedbug. What I thought was a bedbug three years ago has been confirmed by many that it is 100% not. It's a European grain beetle. Now those suckers end up in our bed ... which is why I always thought they were a bedbug. I guess they don't bite though. I wish they did ... then the mystery would be solved!

7) Chiggers? Is it a possibility? All of us spend a lot of time outdoors and as sickening as it is, I often don't take showers until the morning ... even if I've been outside working. I heard that's not a good idea if you have chiggers around. I don't even know if they are around. I've never seen a chigger. Also, do they infest your home? And do they travel? Only reason I ask if because of my mom's bites. Could she have picked them up here?

Is there any other possibility? I want to seriously believe there's no possibility of bedbugs, but as I sit here and stare at all the cracks in the wall ... I can't help but think they're just really good hiders. Obviously, there's thousands of places for them to hide. The reason I worry is because I spend a ridiculous amount of time at thrift stores, garage sales, auctions, etc. I've been really reconsidering my love for antiquing/thrifting lately (actually the idea of buying anything!) I may just become a hermit from here on out as the idea of bedbugs has already put me in such a tizzy that some days I only function as a crazy person. I constantly check my bed with a flashlight at all hours of the night. Not one sighting ..... yet.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 31 2012 20:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

You could be reacting to some other irritant(s), there are many or you are getting occasional bed bug bites, but outside the home. "Breakfast-lunch-dinner" is not universal with BB bites and it's also not exclusive to BB bites.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 13:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response. What are your thoughts on chiggers? Something is obviously biting us. Can you have chigger "infestations" in your house?

4. ShelaghDB

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 18:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but I can't imagine from the information above how anyone could determine what it is you are dealing with.
    I might seem easy for you to do but the possibilities are endless for you don't offer any photos of bugs found or any other sort of "proof".
    Have you considered paying to get a dog in that can smell for them?

That said I personally would not be second hand shopping these days.

5. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 18:11:35
    #

Login to Send PM

1) It is a virtual impossibility to have bed bugs for three years and have no signs. The population would be massive by this point.

2) You mentioned it is a log cabin in the woods. Is there an attic? Have you had it checked for bats or birds? It is possible for there to be "bat bugs" or "bird bugs" in the attic and on occasion a few venture in to the living spaces. This might account for you not seeing evidence.

3) You mention living in the woods. This is prime time for black flies ("noseeums") and they can bite without you knowing. The often produce many bites clustered together.

4) Chiggers? Maybe, but unlikely. Chiggers don't actually bite ... they inject an enzyme that eats away at the skin cells. This usually causes intense itching and swelling.

Sean

6. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Noseeums! I have to tell you that this is the first thing that actually makes sense to me. You would think after three years, I would have exhausted all my assumptions ... but I had never looked up these suckers. I just read several blogs with people's experiences with noseeums and so many of them were like our situation. I actually feel relieved in knowing that's it's probably these black flies. We often leave our windows open at night and I just read that they are small enough to fly through your screen. I also often see teeny tiny black flies on our windowsills. I wonder if those are it. Actually, I just vacuumed up several of them this morning. They're always there! Never in a million years would I have made the connection. I've just always thought bedbugs ... for three freaking years!

Also checked out noseeum bites and they're exactly what our bites look like. We have a lot of flies around here. I know two years ago was just horrible. We spent many days indoors because the bugs were so bad. I imagine all the swampy areas around our home doesn't help that. Bugs are a nuisance .... but as long as they're not bed bugs, I can live with it.

Thanks for bringing up this information! It seriously gave me an "ah ha!" moment. I really think the mystery is solved; however, I'm gonna scoop up a few of our little windowsill flies and show the PCO just for confirmation. Thanks so much!

thebedbugresource - 3 hours ago  » 
    3) You mention living in the woods. This is prime time for black flies ("noseeums") and they can bite without you knowing. The often produce many bites clustered together.

7. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Even if the ones in your window sills are not black flies I would not rule them out. Windows attract all sorts of bugs when they are trapped inside because they see the light outside and want to get there. They try for hours/days and often die, thus falling to the window sill. So you could have any number of insects collecting there.

If you have a decent camera take some pictures of the flies and post them here.

Sean
    Entomologist

8. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

There's some in my kitchen windowsill right now. I'm going to try to take a photo and post it shortly. I don't know how that will turn out though. They are so tiny ... almost like a black speck. I will try though.

I do have a question though -- we're on an annual pest control program here. Wouldn't that take care of these things? They only sprayed outdoors this year, but past years, they've done both indoors and outdoors.

thebedbugresource - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Even if the ones in your window sills are not black flies I would not rule them out. Windows attract all sorts of bugs when they are trapped inside because they see the light outside and want to get there. They try for hours/days and often die, thus falling to the window sill. So you could have any number of insects collecting there.
    Sean
    Entomologist

9. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Nevermind. Those things are just way too small. My camera won't focus. They just look like teeny tiny black specks with wings. They're all over the place here. What temperatures do these black flies thrive in? I read somewhere that it's unlikely they would still be around in June. Is that true? I can't remember in past years, if we were bitten all summer long. It seems like we were. We absolutely never get bites in the colder months though. Never.

thebedbugresource - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Sean
    Entomologist

10. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 22:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Does your camera have a Macro setting?
    just a thought, as I did not know that mine had one till I looked
    good luck

11. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 0:14:41
    #

Login to Send PM

thebedbugresource - 6 hours ago  » 
    1) It is a virtual impossibility to have bed bugs for three years and have no signs. The population would be massive by this point.
    2) You mentioned it is a log cabin in the woods. Is there an attic? Have you had it checked for bats or birds? It is possible for there to be "bat bugs" or "bird bugs" in the attic and on occasion a few venture in to the living spaces. This might account for you not seeing evidence.
    4) Chiggers? Maybe, but unlikely. Chiggers don't actually bite ... they inject an enzyme that eats away at the skin cells. This usually causes intense itching and swelling.
    Sean

I agree with Sean completely. He covered all likely possibilities (and in order too!)

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 0:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have an annual plan, you should call the company to ask them if it covers this. Hopefully they can come in and have a look and treat if necessary.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Black flies live and breed outside. Even if you have a pest control program it is VERY unlikely that it covers black flies.

They are worst between mid-May and the end of June. This can vary from year to year based on temperature, rain, amount of sun, etc.

Sean

14. buggy_eyed_fool

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 18:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, that time frame would make sense as we started getting bit again just a few weeks ago. Is there anything that repels them? I don't really want to drown myself in bug spray before I go to bed. Honestly, I'm not even concerned for myself ... it's more my daughter. She's two and she's been getting bit up the most as of lately. I'm just thrilled it's not bed bugs. As long as we can keep it that way, I'm pretty sure I can live with anything! Thanks for your help!

thebedbugresource - 1 hour ago  » 
    Black flies live and breed outside. Even if you have a pest control program it is VERY unlikely that it covers black flies.
    They are worst between mid-May and the end of June. This can vary from year to year based on temperature, rain, amount of sun, etc.
    Sean

15. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 9:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Pimple-looking bites, also consider mites of rodents or birds.

16. tiredofbites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 18 2012 20:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I found your post tonight and your bites sound a lot like mine. This is also my third year being bitten and this year they started about 3-4 weeks ago. In fact, I have the same bites from 3-4 weeks ago. They last for almost a month. I know mine are not bed bugs. (I used to freak out too, but last year, I quit going outside and had no bites.) I live in Virginia though. In a neighborhood with a wood line. I have a damp area behind my patio, so I am guessing some kind of mosquito, but I never see them. I heard noseeums also, but not sure. I'm even bitten during the day. Last night I sat outside for several hours, wearing a jacket and capris and woke up this morning with about 9 bites. All on my torso and a few on my upper thigh! So frustrating! I was even wearing an off fan and burning multiple citronella torches. Anyway, if you figure out what is biting you, please let me know. I love being outside, but I'm miserable with these crazy itchy bites. Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,274 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl