(4 posts)
  1. BugInsaneIL

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 4 2013 0:12:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I live in an apartment. I discovered the BB's mid-October after suffering bites and thinking they were mosquitoes for a couple of weeks. The BB's were only on my comforter. I found a couple live bugs (captured for the exterminator, who confirmed them) and some eggs and nymphs. I've done the washing, bagging and encasements and have gone through three treatments spaced out two weeks apart. I'm still getting bitten, though the number of bites have greatly decreased. I've got new sheets that are lighter in color and I just found a live BB on the sheet full of my blood from the night before:( I have a platform bed with drawers underneath so the climb ups don't apply in my case. I CAN'T find where they are hiding/coming from. I've turned the bed upside down, the back of the headboard is free and clear, I've been all over it with a flash light. The exterminator is coming back Thursday but I feel like whatever he's doing isn't working?? He comes while I'm at work and we've mainly communicated through notes. He's put a white powdery silica looking substance everywhere. I'm at my wit's end. What else can I do? Are there questions I should be asking? Is there another route to take? I'm getting frustrated with how long this has gone on. Is more than three treatments the norm? My apartment office person said three treatments and they would be gone... any help or guidance or sympathy is appreciated! My Aunt went through this in Texas and they used DDT (she had a major infestation, mine seems minor) Can I ask for DDT???

2. bedbuginsanity

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 5 2013 12:11:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I should point out that I'm not a PCO, but based on my own experience and independent research into these little buggers, your next move with an exterminator might be fumigation. Personally, I am skeptical of any PCO treatment that doesn't go all the way (fumigation). The powder left behind is most likely food grade DE (make sure it's food grade DE, because the other stuff could be hazardous if airborne). The DE should kill BBs by tearing open their exoskeletons and drying them from outside. It is effective when used properly, but it takes time, and I'm not sure how well it would work with a really large infestation.

Even if you fumigate and kill every last one, though, you'd still need to make sure you're not bringing new ones in with you. In fact, it could be that your PCO has actually succeeded and you might still be bringing new ones in. They could easily be in your car, for instance, or in your briefcase or backpack, so you'd need to check these locations and items as well. I know it's horribly frustrating, but in dealing with bed bugs, a person needs a healthy combination of determination, patience, and at times, a sense of humor.

Good luck.

3. abcde12345

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 6 2013 12:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The OP said they live in an apartment, unless it's a really small building (like a three story detached townhouse) AND he/she gets buy in from ALL the tenants to vacate for a day to get the fumigation done, fumigation is not an option. There is commodity fumigation, where a service will move all your stuff offsite and fumigate in a truck, but that is really expensive because you are effectively paying for movers to move your stuff twice and for fumigation. I just had commodity fumigation done for a select number of items in my one bedroom apartment here in Manhattan (excluding most of my non-infested furniture, but including most of the small goods, drawer contents etc), and the charge was $3500.

To save, you could pack up a truck yourself and drop it off to get fumigated, but that also involves moving everything out and then back in.

DDT as far as I can tell, is illegal in the US. Although it might be legal in the Independent Republic of Texas

4. BreakingBug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 7 2013 0:25:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious about this fumigation, what is that exactly? We've had two treatments from a local exterminator and they seem to have sprayed along the baseboards, there is a white substance where they sprayed. We had to stay out of the house for four hours.
    However, I do want to say that if you have this kind of wood bed, please consider getting rid of it, it's a small price to pay to eliminate the stress. I finally relenquished my lovely wood bed with massive legs, frame, head and footboards. When we took it apart we were shocked at how many bugs and eggs were really there. Now we are sleeping on what I call our island, a metal bed frame, both mattresses encased, with DIY climb ups on all four legs, as well as each leg greased with petroleum jelly. We haven't seen a bug or signs of bugs, in our bed since we did this. We are still washing the bedding every night and heating or washing the pillows every day, as a precaution.
    We spread DE inside the plastic bags we wrapped up the bed frame in, and spread DE liberally over the wood floors in our bedroom, and as we've walked around the five room we inhabit on the ground floor, the DE has spread into the cracks. I sprinkled DE around my office chair too.
    Now that we are finally getting some sleep, we're starting to open up the plastic bags and sort stuff. As we move the bags, we're seeing dead, flat bugs in a few places, so we're hopeful that we are over the worst of the infestation and are just riding out their life cycle.
    But the BED was where the majority of the bugs were living.
    So long story short, please get rid of your bed. Spread plastic paint sheets all over, sprinkle with DE, cut three holes in a plastic bag, one for the neck, two for arms, and put it on over your clothing. Then proceed to take your bed apart and wrap in plastic drop cloths and plastic sheeting if you can get it, and tape all openings shut. Secure all areas that will touch the ground with duct tape, then get this thing out of your house.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,396 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson