(4 posts)
  1. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 11:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I know I'm posting a lot right now, so please forgive the frequency. Just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible early.

I am currently Washing all bedding per my PC's instructions, but I have a foam bed wedge that I use to elevate my head/prevent heartburn.

I think it's small enough to fit in the dryer, but I don't think it will fit in my mattress engagement (there's already a Tempur Pedic topper squeezing in there).

Does anyone have thoughts/experiences with proper cleaning and isolation of this type of thing?

Thank you!

2. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 11:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgive typos--my phone has an aggressive and faulty autocorrect!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 0:38:15
    #

Login to Send PM

There are two concerns with such an item:

1. Killing bed bugs/eggs in something.
    2. Removing bed bug fecal stains (if any).

If you’re worried about #1– this is likely your PMP’s concern. A dryer will kill bed bugs and the item can likely be safely dried on hot. We recommend 1/2 hour for most things but you might want to go a bit longer with something like that.

#2 (no pun intended) may or may not be an issue but if it is, if you can dry it, maybe you can also machine wash it (or at least the cover, if removable). If #2 isn’t an issue, then you don’t need to worry about washing the item. A hot dryer will kill bed bugs and eggs.

I’m not sure you can prevent it from being accessed by bed bugs later, but you can certainly dry it on hot regularly. That would kill any bed bugs introduced to it (& eggs). You may be able to buy a pillow encasement that is secure and fits the wedge.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 9:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if the foam would be bothered by heat -- dry it out. If the wedge is in a pillow-type case, you can wash the case and put it on the wedge again. Using a case is like using an encasement. An encasement doesn't protect you or keep you from being bitten. It serves to make it easier to spot bed bugs because you remove potential harborage points like seams and edges. You force bed bugs to go to other places where they can be seen.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172