Thought they were gone, but now two new possible bites

(2 posts)
  1. Lauren140california

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 21 2019 20:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

My story is long, I'll try to sum it up. Since about January I have been being bit. Husband and two kids have had no reaction whatsoever. Husband convinced me I was crazy and it had to be something else, but I just knew that bb was the answer. Fast forward to two and a half weeks ago and I found a dead one. Confirmed with photo ID to a family friend exterminator that I was right the whole time. We went the DIY route. Rented an industrial steamer and carpet cleaner. Multiple sprays for the baseboards, DE, and climbups. Got rid of the couch, and all box springs. Encased the mattresses. I neurotically vacuum and spray with rubbing alcohol. Sheets are cleaned every night. I'm the bait because no one else reacts so I thought we were doing ok, until tonight when I spotted two new very itchy spots. No sign of any live/dead/eggs. I ended up buying a steamer and literally have done every inch of everything possible. I'm so very embarrassed that calling a pest control company makes me want to vomit because I don't want my neighbors to see. Laundry was taken to the cleaners and husband ran on high heat multiple times. Clothes has stayed in bins or trash bags. Please, any other advice for the DIY is greatly appreciated. I'm going insane.

2. mobert

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 21 2019 23:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this really isn't the answer you're looking for, but since you're still getting bites, I really think you should call a professional. DIY methods have limited effectiveness. I know there's a lot of social stigma around having bed bugs because people are misinformed and think it's related to people being unclean when in reality anyone can get them, and having other people judge you for something that isn't even your fault is hard. But the best, most reliable way to handle the problem would be to let a professional do it. They have access to sprays that have lasting effects and can kill any survivors. The sprays you can go buy yourself at a regular store are ineffective.

And while I don't know your neighbors, and maybe they really are the really nosy, judgmental type, in my experience, most people don't really care all that much about what their neighbors are up to. And if they do ask, you could always lie. So long as you've not done anything to put them at risk, it's none of their business.

Really I think it comes down to the fact that while yes, calling a PCO can be embarrassing, that stressor is much shorter and more manageable than slowly going crazy trying to tackle the problem DIY style.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW