This type of site seems pretty useless

(40 posts)
  1. KaylaKaze

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 1:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously, what's the point? You spread information but at the same time you spread nothing but hopelessness. Screw your advice. I'm not going to live in a f-ing plastic bubble because of some stupid bugs. "All infestations are manageable"? What I'm reading here isn't management, it's insanity. I'm surprised I haven't seen "burn everything you own and burn the building down" as suggested advice.

2. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 1:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, come on, I thought of that already. But I love my little house and they do make you crazy. OK, your at dinner and everyone else is "normal" and you are acting normal but under your clothes, something very not normal is happening. So insanity, maybe a little. Determination, a lot. Hopelessness, this board and forum keeps me just inches away from there. Thanks to all who share. This is always the quick course for folks, i imagine, as it was for me. It's an F'd up situation, and I'll continue treatment rather than burning the building down.

food for thought

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 3:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

KaylaKraze

Let us know how that works out for you.

Good luck

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 5:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KaylaKaze,

A bold post for a first post but as we are from time to time reminded we all have opinions and an equal right to express them.

With forums like this you get out of them what you put in.

Yes bed bugs is a complex issue, there is no single quick solution and each case has its own issues and merits.

I would however suggest that you would get more out of the experience by sharing tips and advice as well as a little support for others.

I would like to remind people that there was a time when there were only 4 or 5 websites about bed bugs in the whole world and information was a lot more sketchy. As the problem increases more information becomes available.

I would have to say though that bedbugger.com is one of the most informative sites online and something that a lot of people put time into supporting and developing.

If you feel there is a better way of helping people please let us know I may even provide you with a domain name and hosted package to see how it develops.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 9:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I don't exactly enjoy living in a plastic bubble either. But I feel some responsibility to my neighbours and coworkers not to spread the BBs any further. Like Doug, I'd love to hear how it works for you, and what steps you will take to eradicate your BBs.

Best of luck,
    Kate

6. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 9:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered my 2000 sqft plastic bubble last week, should arrive soon. I did that right after I burned my possessions and my apartment. I didn't burn my kitty though cos he showed no signs of bbs. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

Of course I had to change my identity, quit my job, cash in my rrsps and flee under the cover of darkness. Now the cops are looking for me for the arson charge and I need to find a rural area to live in my big bubble - it's a two bedroom model, with a plastic deck even!

7. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 10:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

When I first found them, I thought "no big, I can handle this". Oddly enough there was a piece on the news about bbs & the woman was crying, practically hysterical, I thought: "What's up with her, they're bugs - kill 'em!" Two weeks later, I was hysterical & would've paid ANYTHING for a plastic bubble to live in (sounds energy efficient, I still might be down with it). I'm pretty sure it was this place that kept me from burning the building down -

Kayla - if you decide later that you need this place after all, know that we've all been through the angry phase & will still be here to help & if you find that "magic bullet" that makes it all better, please come back & share.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 11:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am actually testing a bubble based device that scrubs air clean of allergens at present. I think it could be my next big wow you have to have one of these products.

My bedroom no longer smells of smoke and an anti smoking friend of mine actually said that after 60 minutes of running it the air quality was so much better than the rest fo the flat (sorry apartment).

David

9. yech

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 12:00:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You think my new "bed clothes" of knee high socks, cycling tights, turtleneck and gloves are taking it too far??? I think not! But, yes, the sanctity of my home has been shattered, my peace of mind is gone, I can barely sleep (who would want to), I'm paranoid of finding any white-ish speck or due to any itch, yada, yada. This site is disturbing but it also gives me specific ways of dealing with the situation and provides me with the hope that I will prevail (with lots of diligence, a good PCO, and time). Besides, you think I can discuss this with someone who knows me? Of course not! It'll only spread fear - of me! Sign me -- just a week into this insanity.
    PS: Here's what I'm thankful for -- that I've only ever used a metal mattress frame (no bed, per se), that my ensuite laundry is 6' from my bedroom, that I don't pay directly for utilities, and I think I caught this problem in the early stages. (This morning I'm feeling hopeful; yesterday morning I was bawling like a baby in the shower.)

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 13:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

As bugbattler said, if you need us, we're here.

If you don't, that's fine too. But if all you see here is hopelessness, you haven't read much yet.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 14:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

We'll be here if you need us.

Lessee we have one of the foremost BB experts in the UK here, at least one Entomologist, I believe some of the other regulars are Entomologist also, several expert PCO's, and veterans of the BB war that no longer have these vampires all ready to assist with their knowledge.

Yep this forum sucks.

This place is the reality of BB combat. It isn't easy, pretty, cheap, or fun but they can be defeated. As Nobugs said if all you see is hopelessness you need to read more.

Much of the day to day posting is people new to the front lines or in the depths of the battle and are pretty damn distraught.

With diligence they win the war and move on.

Hopeless, no way. Is victory going to be as easy as putting out a roach bait, no way.

Jim

12. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 14:46:14
    #

Login to Send PM

KaylaKaze

Sadly I think you have much of the info on the forum mistaken. Does it sound nuts to most people who have not experienced it? yes it does.

But so does jungle or desert survival tactics becasue that is exactly what these methods are - survival tactics against a horrible and difficult enemy that will likley turn your life upside down

if you need our advice we will gladly give it to

otherwise good luck

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:01:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone, David Cain (bed-bugs.co.uk) had several posts above go into the spam filter. It can happen: if one gets in there (sometimes because something looks suspicious to the machine), subsequent posts often will go there too.

Since rescued spam unfortunately posts according to chronology of when they were written (not when they were rescued from spam), they appear as the fourth and eighth posts above. I am copying them below so they appear as "new" and get seen.

David, please accept my apologies-- you've had a run of false-spam alerts the last day or so and I hope the filter will catch on shortly that you are not doing anything wrong.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I am just going to go ahead and quote David's posts in full so they appear as new and get read:

bed-bugscouk - 19 hours ago  » 
    Hi KaylaKaze,
    A bold post for a first post but as we are from time to time reminded we all have opinions and an equal right to express them.
    With forums like this you get out of them what you put in.
    Yes bed bugs is a complex issue, there is no single quick solution and each case has its own issues and merits.
    I would however suggest that you would get more out of the experience by sharing tips and advice as well as a little support for others.
    I would like to remind people that there was a time when there were only 4 or 5 websites about bed bugs in the whole world and information was a lot more sketchy. As the problem increases more information becomes available.
    I would have to say though that bedbugger.com is one of the most informative sites online and something that a lot of people put time into supporting and developing.
    If you feel there is a better way of helping people please let us know I may even provide you with a domain name and hosted package to see how it develops.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

And again, David said:

bed-bugscouk - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    I am actually testing a bubble based device that scrubs air clean of allergens at present. I think it could be my next big wow you have to have one of these products.
    My bedroom no longer smells of smoke and an anti smoking friend of mine actually said that after 60 minutes of running it the air quality was so much better than the rest fo the flat (sorry apartment).
    David

16. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 minutes ago  » 

David, please accept my apologies-- you've had a run of false-spam alerts the last day or so and I hope the filter will catch on shortly that you are not doing anything wrong.

Maybe he needs to readjust his tinfoil hat.

Jim

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 37 minutes ago  » 

Jim

Yes, Jim. That could well be our problem.

18. madNalberta

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 19:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Kaylakaze, i absolutely hear your frustration. I dont know what your sitch is, but i can tell you, i have three kids and That Man works alot. Not much help (although he pitches in where he can). Its alot of damn work, but the alternative (to me) is simply unacceptable. Thank God for this site. This is a place where you can really tell what your going through, when you cant even tell your own family and friends. Thank you everyone for putting in their own two cents, even just to vent the frustration we all feel, its good for me to see that im not alone in this battle, that its not just me, the BBs are just that damn tenacious (ARGH) Good luck in your own battle

19. madNalberta

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 20:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

*quickly googles availability and cost of 2000ft plastic bubble*

20. search for security

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 20:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we all need to keep in mind that most people do get rid of them, this site is skewed to people who continue to have the problem. Most of the people who get rid of them don't post anymore. I remember wallowing in self pity and despair when reading about those of you who have had them for a year or more.

It would be wonderful if we could create a post bed bug forum for people who have been bit free for a year or more, and they continued to post like we do here. I dont know about you guys but that would really really help my mood and give the much needed hope it takes to win the war. The success stories category on here is unfortunately not as plentiful as the other stories.

21. dottie

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 21:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

" I'm surprised I haven't seen "burn everything you own and burn the building down" as suggested advice. "

No, because that would not be the entire solution. You'd have do it naked, too.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 2:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

search for security - 5 hours ago  » 
    I think we all need to keep in mind that most people do get rid of them, this site is skewed to people who continue to have the problem. Most of the people who get rid of them don't post anymore. I remember wallowing in self pity and despair when reading about those of you who have had them for a year or more.
    It would be wonderful if we could create a post bed bug forum for people who have been bit free for a year or more, and they continued to post like we do here. I dont know about you guys but that would really really help my mood and give the much needed hope it takes to win the war. The success stories category on here is unfortunately not as plentiful as the other stories.

People usually don't remain on the forums after they're bite-free for a year or even a month. I don't blame them-- most people want their lives back! Those who do remain are being generous with their time and knowledge.

I think there are very few people here who have had bed bugs for a year. You may be overestimating this.

Many if not most of the people sharing advice here no longer have bed bugs. They remain here to offer support and help to others.
    Many more may be cautious, as it often takes a while to be sure.

We can start a thread for those here for 6 or more months, and ask. It's a good question. Update:
    The brief poll for those here 6 months or more is here.
    I hope everyone who has been here that long will reply, pros and Bedbuggers alike!

23. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 2:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

dottie - 4 hours ago  » 
    " I'm surprised I haven't seen "burn everything you own and burn the building down" as suggested advice. "
    No, because that would not be the entire solution. You'd have do it naked, too.

Naked Infested Arsonists is my new band.

24. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 4:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 1 day ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 2 minutes ago  » 

Jim

Tried adjusting it this morning, no luck I am still spam. Maybe the good lady has the sarcasm filter turned to maximum or its just jealous having heard those lush vocals on the recent pod cast.

I am trying not to take it personally but it does make it hard to "feel" part of the conversation when you know its getting locked in a box for a while. Especially when I know the person is online to read the thread but its not visible.

Still at this rate I will have finished upgrading one of the websites by the end of the weekend.

David

25. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 10:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Naked Infested Arsonists Rock!

Check out my new business plan.

Scorched Earth Pest Control

Try our New Radical Thermal Eradication Program.

We heat the entire strucure up to more than 2,000 degrees F

Our Radical Thermal Treatment is fully warrentied to be 100% effective.

Our natural treatment approach utilizes your contents as fuel to furhter reduce our carbon footprint.

Our motto....It's always best to be sure.

26. BrooklynNurse

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 12:16:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey this site isn't useless. People come on here to express their methods of getting rid of them. It takes time and money to get rid of these pests. If people were more informed about bed bugs then we wouldn't have such a widespread epidemic of them. Unfortunately sometimes it's not in our control of how we acquired them, i.e. from hotels, apartments infested, or just spending a night at a friend's home(like myself :(). This blog will definitely open your eyes to different ways to defeat them. No one is saying to live in a bubble or never step outside your door, but some cases are potentially hopeless if everyone doesn't cooperate in your building/home or etc. The key to getting rid of them is extensive preparation and a very knowledgeable PCO.
    Take Care.

27. wonderer

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 25 2009 14:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Unlike KarlaKaze I actually find this site helpful.

My number #1 priority is to make sure I don't spread them to my friends/family in other households.

My #2 priority is to get rid of them ASAP. (at times, setting off a nuke in my basement sounds like a good idea.)

If I have to take extra precautions to prevent them from spreading then by all means I will.

28. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2009 21:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Doug,
    That post of your's is one of the funniest things I've read outside of Dave Barry! Hilarious! It's best to be sure,for sure:)

29. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2009 22:01:47
    #

Login to Send PM

THese boards are amazing and so important in todays society. Grow a brain and learn how to read!! Doesn't matter how horrible the infestation is, if I can't defeat even the worst of worst bedbug infestations with one initial per room and regualr check ups, I will personally purchase you a contract from any other pest control guy of your choice!! A little patience, hardwork, experience experience experience, and education, I"m sorry but no stupid little bug is gona out defeat me.... In any situation, in any size stucture, mabye a little cocky, but so be it, we need a little enthusiasm and confidance in exterminators now a days. The people need us!!

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 5:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS - 2 days ago  » 
    Naked Infested Arsonists Rock!
    Check out my new business plan.
    Scorched Earth Pest Control
    Try our New Radical Thermal Eradication Program.
    We heat the entire strucure up to more than 2,000 degrees F
    Our Radical Thermal Treatment is fully warrentied to be 100% effective.
    Our natural treatment approach utilizes your contents as fuel to furhter reduce our carbon footprint.
    Our motto....It's always best to be sure.

Sorry Doug someone beat you to this one. I have seen the historical archive where they documented the destruction of 2 city blocks worth of Victorian workers cottages in London in the 1950's. The crowning glory of the bonfire was an effigy of a bed bug.

Most tourists to London actually pass through this neighbourhood on the way to visit Camden lock and do not even realise that they walk past it other than to comment on the amazing contrast in architecture.

David

31. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 11:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

"burn everything you own and burn the building down" Do you live in Cincinnati?

32. hatesbedbugs

Banned

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 11:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Kayla, let me know if this suggestion helps. You do not need a self-contained breathing apparatus. However rubber boots, a tyvek suit duck tape and rubber gloves can be beneficial if getting bit. Once you have put everything on, tape the bottom of the tyvek suit legs around the rubber boots creating a seal. The bb's have difficulty traversing the suit and can not bite through it.

33. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 11:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

hbbs: 'However rubber boots, a tyvek suit duck tape and rubber gloves can be beneficial if getting bit. Once you have put everything on, tape the bottom of the tyvek suit legs around the rubber boots creating a seal.'

I can imagine the scene if, god-forbid, there's ever a fire or other emergency and you have to flee suddenly in the middle of the night. More than a few raised eyebrows from the neighbours I imagine:)

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 15:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 4 hours ago  » 
    "burn everything you own and burn the building down" Do you live in Cincinnati?

Winston!

35. goawaybugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 15:09:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My building actually had a fire in the midst of my worrying about all this last year. No Tyvek suit but there was one small silver lining to the protocols--turns out ziploc bags are good at protecting against smoke, too! While my neighbors had to deal with smoke-damaged clothing and pay for expensive ozone treatment, I was able to pop open my ziploc bags and pull out clean, smoke-free clothing every day!

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 16:25:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess every cloud ziploc bag has a silver lining.

37. IveBeenBugged

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 20:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like someone was hoping to find a quick fix. I can understand the frustration I remember it well.

Some did leave all their things behind just to get away from them but there are ways to do it and keep your things and finally not live in a bubble any more.

I'm an example. I was able to get rid of them but not without this website or some of the people on it.

38. karrieg

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 2:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

wow you are all helping each other and i think that is what people need in these situations...i know im new here but when i cant sleep untill 5am and have to get up by 7 this site helps keep me a little mor sane. im not sure how to use the whole site yet as i would like to share my story too but not sure where to post it. one suggestion i have and am testing out curently is double sided tape around every bed leg and blow up mattresses insted of regular ones, i even found one to fit my futon. the problem i am having is i never showed any bite marks nor my baby and we have slept in the bed where i found the bed bugs. my oldest daughter on the other hand slept in my bed just one night and was covered from head to toe from bites. so im thinking i have to use her as bait to test out what bed they are going for?? that sound mean but no one eles shows signs, what eles can i do? oh i also have every thing in bags,alot of wich are vacume sucked.all my stuff is in individual bubbles.

39. Bites44

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2009 12:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

A response to the initial question and how useless is this site.

Well that is an easy easy answer. This site is an absolute wonderful, useful, place.

Didn't have a clue about bed bugs 18 months ago. But I sure found out in a hurry, and only by visiting this forum daily.

Using all the information on this site, am now free of the blighters (about 7 - 8 months now). So thanks to Bedbugger; hooray and another hooray!!!!!!

40. vacationer

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2009 20:25:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, there is ANOTHER use for this forum. Even if you don't have bedbugs and never have.

It's a good site to send friends to who don't believe BB are a serious problem or could ever affect them (which still seems to be nearly everybody). Once they read the details, they are a bit more likely to look in the bed the next time they go to a motel, and maybe not bring bugs back with them to YOU.

Seeing your friends' reactions is also a good way to identify those who are stupid, irresponsible, or in total denial (I don't mean you), so that you can avoid them. *sigh*.

-v.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,337 posts in 50,176 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14