This is BS (getting pissed)

(17 posts)
  1. WhatTheEffIsBitingMe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 21:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a person who has always tried to meet his problems head on. I have to say that the bite syndrome I am dealing with for two years is the worst experience I have ever been through (and I am going in for a hip replacement after shattering my hip on a motorcycle). I have moved three times.
    Whatever is biting me is ruining my life. I read the stories on here, especially people with kids, and I am heartsick. An unseen enemy!
    Can human beings not outwit a bug? Honestly what is going on here? And I am not complaining, but this forum is very sparse with any information. Hell, a bedbug expert could build a business off this forum alone. There are some severely traumatized people here. If I were a bedbug expert, I would be all over this place. I rarely see a topic that offers any concrete advice. Are we helpless to this?
    I came home tonight and sat at my computer for two hours, and have bites on my back, my shoulders, and deep in my ears. This is craziness. I do all the normal stuff, but I feel I continually re-infect myself because I live in the city. A week at my parent's home in the country and the bites are gone. I have never seen a single BUG!
    I go to work with immaculately clean clothes and freshly showered, and by lunchtime the bites start on my arms. Am I spreading it? Now people seem consumed with sharing my chair at work. "Hey let me take your seat to fix your computer." I come in to work and someone has borrowed my chair and I am petrified. Am I infecting them to take it home to their kids and launch them on a personal nightmare of their own? I am going freaking crazy here. Am I supposed to go the manager of a 50-person office and explain my situation? Come on, that's insanity!!!!
    I am seriously considering shaving my body completely, getting rid of all my property. Leaving my home that I worked hard to get, and just going on a Zen quest. I have even had thoughts of ending it all because this is such a miserable thing to go through. Nobody understands.
    I have to think there is a reason for this. A reason I wake up every morning with an itchy body. A syndrome that has affected my every relationship. Something that has become a psychosis for me, questioning the value of life and playing mental games with myself that this can't be true. Making me think I will never be able to share a bed with a significant other, ever again. This is crazy.
    BTW- thanks EPA for making the chemicals illegal that kill these bugs. This is a national disaster- and NOBODY seems to have any solutions! The only good thing is that I will really appreciate being able to live a normal life when this is done. And it will end.
    Sorry for the rant- but all I have gotten out of this site is the feeling that others share my minute-by-minute obsession and misery. I feel I will never be the same. All because of a freaking stupid bug.
    I am going to win this somehow.

2. confusedaboutthis

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 22:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

You said the word yourself.. psychosis. Keep the mental aspect in the forefront.

Two years, and do evidence? No live bug? You are obviously educated on the matter, so you know the signs. I mean no offense, but perhaps you should seek other avenues of treatment.

First, hire a dog. A reputable one. No signal, no bugs. Assess it from there. If yes, you know you need to hire someone who knows what they are doing. If no proof positive, you know you need to take a step back, breath, realize it's a manifestation, and assess yourself from there.

Do not despair any more. Even if it is bugs, they are just bugs! They will be gone at some point! You can squash them like........ bugs! Keep that in mind. Best wishes.

3. WhatTheEffIsBitingMe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 22:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I truly thank you for you advice. My worries with bringing in experts is alerting my neighbors and my landlord.
    "hey, what's up with the PCO and dog I saw going in your apartment?"
    "Oh, nothing!"

Ironically the other day I was talking to my neighbor and saw some bites on him. It's kinda like a horror movie. Did he get them from me? Me from him? Nobody knowwwwwws. It's all a big mystery because modern man in the year 2011 can't outwit some bugs...wow.
    But thank you. It is just going to take a helluva lot of work and effort.

4. bedbugman

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 22:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but after 2 years your place would be over run with them. Have you visited a doctor it may be a simple allergic reaction.

Hope you get it sorted.

5. WhatTheEffIsBitingMe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 23:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

You're not making me feel better Bedbugman!

6. WhatTheEffIsBitingMe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 23:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops- hit "send" by mistake. I hope I am not overrun. Most people here seem to have seen bedbugs. I have never seen a single one. I had a tick infestation two years ago after I brought them in from outdoors.
    I have since moved three times- trashed all furniture. I follow a strict regimen of washing clothes, wearing them only once, intense cleaning and vacumming and spraying. Still bitten. I am not sure what else to do other then uproot my entire life and move on. I will start with distenfecting every inch of my body. It's a tough battle. Something, somewhere, is surviving and biting me. Never seen 'em.

7. novabedbug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 23:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

That sucks, honestly it might be something else but I can relate with you. Have you tried a k-9 yet? I can recommend some good ones if you are in the DC area.
    I am in the same exact boat as you. I was exposed a long time ago in London and have no evidence and have never seen a live bug, yet I have rust colored stains all over my mattress encasement, blood stains, and bites everywhere. I had two k-9 negatives and my wallet is empty (I'm a college student commuter).

Is it possible to use some sort of x-ray, heat machine to see where they are, WTF?!

8. WhatTheEffIsBitingMe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 23:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone tell me- do bedbugs crawl in your ears and in other...crevices... on the body and bite you? Last night I had the distinct sensation of a bug bite deep in my ear. Yes, I am going insane. I feel infected. But there must be a solution.

9. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 1:14:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to reiterate what bedbugman pointed out: after two years, you would have a giant infestation and there would be signs (including live bugs) everywhere. Whatever is causing the marks on your skin, it's not bed bugs so you would obviously be throwing money away on a K-9 inspection.

Is there possibly someone you could talk to about your anxiety, which seems to be the real issue? Whatever it is, best of luck getting it straightened out.

-rs1971

10. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 7:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If the situation is affecting your life this much, you need to call a competent PCO to inspect your apartment for bbs or other insects. One of the reasons the epidemic is so out of control is because people do not speak up about them. If only for the peace of mind of knowing one way or another, you need to do this. At least get yourself some good passive or active monitors to try to catch a bb. Then I'd suggest a trip to the doctor. No, they can't always tell the difference between a bb bite or another type of bite, but they may be able to offer answers. At the very least, please consider getting some counseling to deal with what you're going through. I know it's overwhelming; doing it alone and with no help is even worse.

These boards are a great place for information and commiseration, but they are no substitute for professional pest control and medical advice. And if you read the forum rules and "stickies," you'll see that while its participants can offer their support, we are (mostly) not qualified to offer professional counseling--especially if you mention suicide.

I hope things get better for you. Good luck.

11. lsdrg706

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 7:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 6 hours ago  » 
    Just to reiterate what bedbugman pointed out: after two years, you would have a giant infestation and there would be signs (including live bugs) everywhere.
    -rs1971

I have to question this statement.

Under normal circumstances, normal regimens, probably yes, you'd find more obvious signs. But in the case of someone who is already hypersensitive to the existence of bed bugs, someone who might be going above and beyond normal when it comes to cleaning, isn't it quite possible someone could be harboring them somewhere yet able to keep a population low enough to possibly miss seeing a live bug?

I have a similar situation sorta, though it's opposite; I have found 7 live bugs total, yet still have yet to find a single fecal stain or harborage.

I just have a problem saying that it is definitely not the problem, because dealing in matters of certainty is not logical when it comes to these bugs, in my opinion, especially when it is well known just how well these bugs can hide.

Now that having been said OP, is it possible you're being bitten at work? Have you checked for any signs there?

Barring that, I'd have to agree with getting a reputable dog and handler in your home. If he finds nothing, it will give you peace of mind, and if he does? You might feel a bit of relief in knowledge.

As far as the landlord, you should be informing them anyway, in my opinion. There are laws now in many states that protect tenants (whether yours is one of them, I do not know), and force landlords to cover the cost of treatment. And as well...the more some of us deal with these problems in secret, the more people can remain in the dark about them and unknowingly bring them home. I'm still amazed how many people I told thought bed bugs were just fairy tale.

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 10:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

But in the case of someone who is already hypersensitive to the existence of bed bugs, someone who might be going above and beyond normal when it comes to cleaning, isn't it quite possible someone could be harboring them somewhere yet able to keep a population low enough to possibly miss seeing a live bug?

It's statistically possible that I'll win the lottery, but it's less common than being struck by lightning to win a multi-million dollar jackpot.

I'm sure there are some very obscure scenarios in which this is possible, theoretically.

However, in practical terms, no, the scenario that you describe above, lsdrg706, doesn't practically happen.

One of the problems with bed bugs--in fact, the one behavior/physiological characteristic/aspect of bed bugs that, over time, I've become convinced is the *most* devastating to people--is the difficultly that anyone who isn't trained by a professional will have finding bed bugs.

The reason that aspect of bed bugs is so hard is that because the bugs often aren't easy to see, people who've been exposed to bed bugs and people who think they've been exposed to bed bugs often go through a period of fearing that bed bugs could be hiding absolutely anywhere.

It is true that many people on the boards post that they have a hard time finding the bugs.

But what you often don't get a sense of from those posts is how skilled that individual is in inspection. When a poster says that he or she tore the room/home apart looking for bugs, that phrase ("tore the home apart" means different things to different people.

Really experienced PCOs generally don't have to tear a room apart unless the bed bug sufferer did something like set off a fogger or tried to self-treat in ways that drove the bugs deeper.

And even in those cases, bed bugs reproduce exponentially in terms of numbers. If you have them for long enough, no matter what kinds of self-treatment you're doing--since almost every self-treatment method is far less effective than good quality professional treatment--eventually the numbers of bugs being reproduced will outstrip the methods used that might keep the population in check.

If bed bugs were easier to detect, none of us would expend so much energy fearing that bed bugs are lurking on every piece of public upholstery in the known universe, nor would we worry so much about statistically possible but realistically deeply improbable scenarios.

For that reason, educating ourselves about effective inspection techniques and using passive monitors even when we're clear are often a good idea. They make it easier for us to stay informed about what is and isn't living in our homes alongside us, our families, and our pets.

As to the original poster's comments, nothing in the original post suggests bed bugs to me. There are many, many other causes of bites or bite like responses. The best way to get to the bottom of this clearly stressful issue is to get a professional in to inspect your apartment. You need the expertise of someone who understands bed bugs through having seen thousands of infestations; the fact that your neighbors might see a pest control guy going into your place is not reason enough to avoid professional help if the possibility of a pest is stressing you out this much.

There are plenty of effective treatments for bed bugs using chemical pesticides--and plenty using other means too like mechanical or temperature-based methods--that are available to pest control operators. The EPA making DDT available again will not solve the bed bug problem; remember that DDT is still in use in other countries, and in those countries, the bed bugs have developed resistance to that chemical pesticide. Bed bugs are a complex pest to eradicate, but that doesn't mean that they cannot be eradicated.

Clearly, WhattheEffIsBitingMe, you're very stressed out by the fact that you're getting bitten. I don't like to see anybody be that stressed. However, if you want to get rid of the bugs, seeing your primary care medical professional to rule out allergies or pests like scabies or body lice is an important step. In addition, getting a good pest control professional who knows bed bugs and the pests that are commonly mistaken for bed bugs in to inspect your home is also vital. While you may not have control over what PCOs inspect the workplace, you can control whether or not you follow the protocols outlined in the FAQ that explains what to do if you've been exposed to bed bugs regarding movement between your workplace and your home if there is solid evidence that there are bed bugs at the workplace. And given how high your anxiety and stress level sounds, it might help you manage your anxieties about what's causing the bites if you talked to a professional like a therapist.

Bed bugs are a multi-dimensional pest, and figuring out whether it's a bed bug infestation or something else can take some time. During that time, the stress levels for people are extremely high, and many people on the boards have found that working with a therapist during that time has really helped with the stress and anxiety.

13. whbclaire

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 19:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi What the Eff. I understand why you're pissed at the EPA. I myself have cursed them, the Sierra Club and every other freaking liberal environmental group for the fact that I have to now suffer with this %$#+(&@ problem! However, DDT WAS causing a serious environmental problem. Birds, small mammals, and beneficial insects were also being wiped out by it. Who knows what effect it may have had on our pets and ourselves? There may be no way to definitely trace its impact on the cancer clusters that have mushroomed since DDT was used.

14. scaredpea

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 19:39:47
    #

Login to Send PM

this post reminds me of what a few people have hinted out here that there may be something else biting people. perhaps something new and unidentified. That isn't bedbugs but fits a lot of the bedbug profile (bites in your home from some unseen assailant).

WhatTheEffIsBitingMe, are you getting the pin prick bites or regular bug-looking bites? I ask as someone who's family (and now neighbours) has been showing pin prick bites for almost 9 months now with no concrete evidence of bedbugs but no damn other explanation. the not-knowing-what's-biting-my-family is enough to drive a completely normal stable person insane. I've truly exhausted every medical, pest control and academic resource and ruled out every bug/mite possibility I can, yet bites continue.

I'm lucky, I'm middle class and have the resources to attack this situation head on if I knew what I was dealing with. As do many of the people who are suffering unknown biting situations. my heart breaks for those in more vulnerable states.

I know that many good experts put a lot of time an energy here, but I also agree to an extent that there's a level of condensation that can sometimes come across, especially to people who's cases aren't cut and dry. Again, this is all a normal part of human nature when dealing with often frantic emotional individuals, but it can be hard on the people suffering. However perhaps this community needs the laymen folk to offer the emotional support and the experts to just focus on relaying knowledge and information.

no point to this really, just sharing some thoughts

15. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 22:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredpea - 2 hours ago  » 
    this post reminds me of what a few people have hinted out here that there may be something else biting people. perhaps something new and unidentified. That isn't bedbugs but fits a lot of the bedbug profile (bites in your home from some unseen assailant).
    WhatTheEffIsBitingMe, are you getting the pin prick bites or regular bug-looking bites? I ask as someone who's family (and now neighbours) has been showing pin prick bites for almost 9 months now with no concrete evidence of bedbugs but no damn other explanation. the not-knowing-what's-biting-my-family is enough to drive a completely normal stable person insane. I've truly exhausted every medical, pest control and academic resource and ruled out every bug/mite possibility I can, yet bites continue.
    I'm lucky, I'm middle class and have the resources to attack this situation head on if I knew what I was dealing with. As do many of the people who are suffering unknown biting situations. my heart breaks for those in more vulnerable states.
    I know that many good experts put a lot of time an energy here, but I also agree to an extent that there's a level of condensation that can sometimes come across, especially to people who's cases aren't cut and dry. Again, this is all a normal part of human nature when dealing with often frantic emotional individuals, but it can be hard on the people suffering. However perhaps this community needs the laymen folk to offer the emotional support and the experts to just focus on relaying knowledge and information.
    no point to this really, just sharing some thoughts

You keep calling them pin prick 'bites' but how do you know that they are bites? In fact, doesn't the fact that you've looked so hard and not found any pest suggest that they are likely caused by something non pest related? How do you know that your neighbors have them? Is this really something that they noticed and brought to your attention?

-rs1971

16. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 22:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

At our office, people have welts and pinpricks. It may be allergies, mites, BBs, etc. No one knows. And, I know first hand, when I get stressed it gets worse (the insomnia).

I've had pinpricks off and on for years, and it would drive me crazy if it were all the time! So sorry that is happening.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  17. scaredpea

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 5:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You keep calling them pin prick 'bites' but how do you know that they are bites? In fact, doesn't the fact that you've looked so hard and not found any pest suggest that they are likely caused by something non pest related? How do you know that your neighbors have them? Is this really something that they noticed and brought to your attention?
    -rs1971
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I certainly don't want to get hung up on semantics. if you'd prefer I call them pinprick or puncture marks that's fine.

I'm not convinced they're bites per se or even insect related, but they look like little tiny puncture marks and have the texture of a bite/wound, exactly like my kids legs look like after getting a vaccination (inoculation). so working with that notion I'm often brought back to the fact that something appears to be inserting itself into them to cause this wound. but I am not going to stand by that 100% since I don't know what, I'm just describing what I see and what occhams razor logic leads me to believe.

I never said I knew with confidence they were pest related. I can't rule them in or out. and I've clearly stated that I've looked into many possibilities and discussed the matter with our doctor, a dermatologist and an allergist, changed detergents and looked into outside sources. I can say with a fact that they didn't used to appear on my son, and then they started appearing regularly on him about 9 months ago and then about 6 months ago on my daughter within a few nights after we moved her into into my son's room out of ours. they do not share a bed or bedding. and I use baby laundry detergent which is hypo-allergenic.

as far as my neighbour, she and I are very close and I've known her family for 5 years. we live in a condominium building and her daughter's room shares a wall with my kid's room. we are friends and spend lots of time together. about 5 months ago I noticed the pin-prick puncture marks on her daughter's face for the first, and I asked her about them. she said she'd never seen them before until recently on her children either, though she is not worried since they don't itch. i've also since seen them on her face and her husband's... who up until now always had perfect skin (she's a former model so I notice this stuff).

trust me, I know how harsh people here can be if they think people are jumping to conclusions without proof or facts. i just discuss the perplexing unexplained facts in my case, I'm not making any claims.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail