Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

This case is unbelievable, and I guess I am, too.

(20 posts)
  1. tp123

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 13:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard vikane works but you can still reinfest. The family thing you decribed is typical, and only time will tell how that pans out. We all may have to be bug families now. The thing that will be important is getting over the blame thing if families are to support each other in this, and realize its everyones problem

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 13:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. If you somehow research some old posts on this site you will see for yourself.
    I have come to realize that if a in-law thinks that you are crazy it is #1 because they do not understand about bed bugs and #2 they do not like you anyway. If you do not fight the war and it gets worse and your family is getting bit than are they not suffering anyway.
    This is the life of a bed bug warrior and only other warriors can understand.
    You sacrifice your life to help theirs but they do not realize it. If you were not around to fight than who would do the fighting? Would they live with multiplying bed bugs and get eaten alive and live that way? Move? Run? It appears that in many cases many tactics have to be implemented and much time to win the war and many people are not willing to commit to this. It is easier to say they are gone and it is just all in your head than to accept the fact that they are hard to kill and they may still be around alive and well.
    This is why stronger pesticides should be intergrated carefully back into the system.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 14:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep. The extra efforts to win the war make you seem crazy or paranoid but you must be vigilant.

"It is easier to say they are gone and it is just all in your head than to accept the fact that they are hard to kill and they may still be around alive and well."

My wife is convinced they are gone but I am not done shoring up all defenses and with only 2 hours a day to do any defensive tactics it is very frustrating. She will not wear any PPE and doesn't like me treating anything while she is around so I have a small window per day.

She keeps ranting about DE or "poison" and really works my nerves. WTF are you going to kill them with rocks? Willpower?

I'm resigned to the fact we are at some point going to get reinfested since she is cavalier with the idea all are gone. *sigh*

I'm putting together furniture in a defensive project which takes a long freaking time but I will not do it otherwise!

Jim

4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 14:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg,
    Sounds like we may be married to the same woman. My wife gave me sh_ _ about every move I made. If I steamed I can create mold, if I dusted with DE I can give HER cancer, if I vacuumed, oh no I want to wind down etc... I would have to wait until she went to sleep to be able to do what I needed to do downstairs and that would usually start at 11:30 until 2:00 or 3:00 AM and then try to get a little sleep before I had to wake up and go to work. Bedroom I worked on before she would go to sleep. She did the laundry though but in time ended bed bug battle protocol as well as other protocols. Her family travels and are clueless, they do not check their hotel rooms and I fear that they could cause me a re-infestation. She would complain to her parents and sisters about me to the point where I had hoped that they would get bed bugs so then I could have a silent laugh.
    No one ever offered any help!

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 15:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Just because you're "paranoid" doesn't mean that the bugs aren't out to get you.

No, really.

Even my totally bug phobic neighbors are convinced that they are gone 100% and I'm just being paranoid.

I won't believe they're gone until they've been gone for months and a bed bug dog comes out and inspects and finds nothing.

Also, remember this: if family or friends don't want to face the possibility of BB, one common defense mechanism is to go into denial and act as if nothing could possibly be wrong and code you as crazy so as not to have to look at the possibility that they have a problem.

Can you tell me a bit more about the nymph bites? This is the only post I've seen that addresses that (my apartment was treated with thermal about 5 weeks ago, and I figure that the bites will be nymph bites first if any eggs survived, but nobody else has really talked about whether a nymph bite would be different from a bite from a grown bug), and more info might help with my anxiety.

I'm sorry I can't offer more help or advice for dealing with the family. I can tell you that it sucks to have people acting like you're nuts on top of dealing with BB. Hang in there.

6. terrifiedtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 21:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have tiny bites that don't itch all over my back. I'm pretty sure they're bites because I have perfect skin and I can count the times on two hands I've ever really had a blemish.

Do nymph bites ever not itch? Mine don't typically appear in rows. they're all over and super tiny. Problem is there's very little bed bug activity anywhere on my bed.

Any ideas?

7. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 23:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

HM - You are right, your bedbug story is both very sad and unbelievable. The tension and difficulties with your husband and in-laws, however, are just the opposite - pretty common. Everything LtDan says is right. Having bedbugs is so stressful itself, and then to add to that, so many people who are supposed to support you instead blame you for being crazy and hysterical. I don't think the guys here can relate to this, but during my ordeal, I kept thinking I was in one of those old, fifties horror movies, where the men of the town cluck and pooh-pooh the "hysterical" heroine who tries to warn them that zombies or aliens are taking over the town, and then the male doctor gives her a shot of sedative to knock her out so she'll shut up.

> t seems like I have to choose between mending my relationship with my family, and getting rid of the bugs. That should be a very simple choice, right? Everyone knows your family comes first... but I just can't live with the bugs.

I don't think the answer to this question is so cut and dried. In fact, I think it is something that lots and lots of people struggle with. The bugs are a threat to the physical, mental and financial well-being of you and your family, so it is the right course to want to protect your family and yourself from that. Unfortunately, other family members might not be cooperative or supportive or understand at all that you are doing all this to help them! One opinion I do have, though, is that taking care of the bedbug problem in your home, etc., takes priority over mending relations with your in-laws. If the damage is already done, try to fix it later, when you'll be in a much better, less stressed frame of mind because you can finally start relaxing about the bug issue.

Just curious - what makes you think that none of the Vikane treatments worked, rather than that there is a source of reinfestation?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 1:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

HM-- when you say the vikane treatments each "failed", are you sure the vikane treatments failed? (... in which case you'd need to talk to the service provider.)

Or do you mean "we found bed bugs again after this point".

There's a big difference.

Vikane treatments CAN fail if not done properly. If every treatment was done by the same folks, I suppose this is possible.

OTOH getting reinfested from an unknown source is VERY common. It's my hunch this is what's happening. It would be unlikely for a company to make a mistake every time they treated you (though I suppose you might look into their record if this is a possibility...)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. sistabelle

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 7:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am fighting the battle alone. WE have them, I knew it, no one else believed me. Husband just sat around contaminating everything I had cleaned and treated. Told me to relax and sit down. You are over reacting. I told him to educate himself but you can guess what he did with that advise. Even when I found a DEAD ONE IN THE BED AND blood drops on his side of the bed he told me he wanted a professional to find one and tell him.

So now he has been getting bites and says maybe there is something here My daughter has them also, was infested the same tie as us. She is still in denial and my grand daughter has bites all over! When we finally get to treat because I finally found one to show them, I'll have to pay to have her house done too. I feel responsible and she cant afford. and I can't stand to see the bite o her, plus she would just reinfest us! Anyone know how much a standard discount is on 2 houses?

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 9:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the correct term to use is not paranoid but Delusional Parasitosis.
    In my opinion DP still is not a correct term because one may still have bed bugs even though you may not find the hard to find evidence and you may be the one who is more sensitive to the bites but not showing skin reactions but you may experience waking up scratching. These creatures are so stealth that in the dead of sleep they can bite and disappear before you spot one. I believe that they feel a vibration given off by you which tells them when to split only to come back later when you fall back into a sound sleep. Just a hunch. Also, people who refuse to battle hard (because they have you to do this) and not acknowledge the possibility that bed bugs may exist are using their defense mechanisms which is easier to do than to work with you on this. It is easier to deny bed bugs than to accept the possibility.
    Also they may use this as a vehicle to get back at you for something that you had said or done to them in the past and now torture you. As far as what comes first, family or bugs, I believe that battling the bbs is putting the family first because of concerns of what a bug infestation may do to the health and well being of family members due to the
    constant bites leading to interruption of sleep and the possibility of anemia and allergic reactions that can be caused by the constant biting.

11. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 11:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Dan,

DP is a serious psychiatric condition. Only a psychiatrist can diagnose it. Not an entomologist, not a pest control professional, not a layperson. Please don't conflate it with paranoia or the feelings that people who actually have bedbugs experience. This is harmful for everyone.

12. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 12:00:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey hopelessnomo, Glad to hear from you, hope you are well.

I agree with you but who is diagnosing what? Not me. But I can have an opinion on this, can't I? I feel as if I am somewhat qualified to at least give an opinion being that I have fought my bed bug war for a long time and I am still fighting.

I like to again state that I am not a doctor or an entomologist or PCO or any other bed bug professional but I have spent time and money and have been to doctors etc... over this bed bug sh_ _ that I do qualify as having bed bug knowledge. As I see it having bed bugs may cause symptoms or appear to others that you may have symptoms of paranoia or DP so in a way it is proper to bring this up in conversations about bed bugs.
    I guess the title fits "oldtimer." And what is your title? Oh yes, old timer. I am always open to comments but as the same with you I will comment back.
    I guess this makes us even. Your opinion is as valid as mine and mine is as valid as yours.
    My best.

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 14:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

LieutenantDan said...
    "Sounds like we may be married to the same woman. My wife gave me sh_ _ about every move I made. If I steamed I can create mold, if I dusted with DE I can give HER cancer, if I vacuumed, oh no I want to wind down etc... I would have to wait until she went to sleep to be able to do what I needed to do downstairs and that would usually start at 11:30 until 2:00 or 3:00 AM and then try to get a little sleep before I had to wake up and go to work."

I hear you man. Geez, what is that "wind down" thing she spoke of? I seem to remember that from somewhere in the distant past.

I'm dreaming of the day I just have the time to cook my own dinner.

Jim

14. Livingagain

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 15:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like that's a common thing, one spouse on board and the other not. Mine's thought if he got me on medication I'd leave him alone about this. It must be better than if both were ignoring the problem.

This thread's a little scary, though. I'm hoping to be able to get a vikane treatment. --A lot of expense if it's not sure.

15. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 23:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving -
    > Mine thought if he got me on medication I'd leave him alone about this.

Oh sorry, but this is hilarious! And a novel approach to bedbug control - if you get your partner on medication, your bedbugs will go away.

16. Livingagain

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 20:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, sucks for him, 'cause I stopped taking the medication, so they came back!

17. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 18:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a number of anxiety related conditions that can be associated with a bed bug infestation.

I think that hyper-vigilance may be a more accurate descriptor than paranoia for the behavior that you are discussing.

Hyper-vigilant behavior is not necessarily based an delusional beliefs, but rather a coping behavior that is a common reaction to anxiety & trauma.

Many victims may harbor some paranoid beliefs about bed bugs, but this usually falls short of the APA diagnostic criteria for Paranoia.

DoP involves a much more specific set of delusional beliefs and the complete absence of any actual parasites.

Interstingly, some people that had previously been labeled DoP were found to actually be hosting a parasite under their skin after scrapings were examined under a microscope in a study last year.

Nomo is correct, DoP is a serious psychiatric condition that should be diagnosed by a health professional.

You may sometimes see a stressed out bed bug victim be misdiagnosed as DoP, but it is an error to equate the anxious behaviors that are commonly associated with an actual bed bug infestation with DoP.

18. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 19:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Nomo gave me this link to an oldie but goodie when I really needed it. It came in very very helpful to me after our infestation. In fact I printed it out and gave it to my therapist as to help with where I was coming from in the whole scheme of things. Honestly it fit me to a T. I was hyper-vigilant to the max. The work and true accomplishment is getting as far away from this criteria and be who you once were as best as you can.It's good to be vigilant of course, but not to the point where it severely interferes with your everyday life. It takes time to find that happy medium in which you are comfortable with. (hope that makes sense) Well there's great info on this link, so I thought I would bring it up again if it can help anyone.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/paranoia-versus-hypervigilance

19. aballen

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 7:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Paula, this is unbelievable! I just scheduled Vikane yesterday to the tune of 12K. This makes me very nervous. Where do you live and who did your Vikane. Did you spend alot each time as I am preparing to do? We were 9 weeks with no bites after six months of conventional treatment, then started getting bitten again about twice weekly like clockwork.

20. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 8:48:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. We live in NJ. We had Western Fumigation on recommendation of Dow. I have spoken to BedBugs&Beyond and Royal Fumigation as well many times. They also seem like very reputable companies to use. We did our home last fall. I have had a few real scares, but as far as I know we are still bed bug free (God willing) Time will tell if we're not.
    We took EXTREME measures to expose EVERYTHING in the home and took EXTREME measures on leaving and returning to the home. Vikane, when done properly should be a one time shot. A good experienced fumigation company should take care of the problem. Before you decide to do such a treatment I HIGHLY suggest to make sure common places you visit such as work, a relatives house or such is free of bed bugs. Vikane leaves no residual at all so if you enter the home with a bed bug on you, you will get re infested.
    To fumigate our home cost about $8000. But that didn't include the precautions we took, just the fumigation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19