Third time in three years

(6 posts)
  1. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 24 2018 21:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so I've read lots on the forum, but my first time posting. I've had two previous experiences with bb's. I live in a multi unit apartment building managed by a lax housing company, but I can't afford to move. Three years ago my neighbor had bed bugs and they found a couple in my apartment. I was not stressed about it at all.

Then two years ago we had a fair infestation that the landlord reluctantly dealt with, but it took four or five months before they were gone, and a lot of work on my part. I had a bad period of mental health due to the stress and paranoia, and it took a full year to relax to where I felt like I could be in public spaces without being paranoid. We believe that that infestation came from a houseguest who didn't tell us he was living in a house with bb problems.

Then earlier this evening I found a hungry adult bug in the outer ring of the climbup interceptor on my bed. I'm hoping against hope that it's just a single hitchhiker, but I'm dreading calling my landlord on Monday. I'm afraid they will evict me. My state has a law that says that landlords have to treat, and they can't charge tenants for treatment if they can't prove the infestation was caused by the tenant. My worry is that I work at a homeless shelter, and even though I take extreme precautions (separate work shoes that stay at work, change and bag work clothes on linoleum floor immediately after returning home, wash and dry all potentially exposed clothes on hot) it may *look* as though I've brought them home from work. I actually suspect this may have come from an adjoining apartment, as after many many months of having a clean climbup interceptor I found this bug and a silverfish--which says to me maybe bugs are being driven out by a bomb in another apartment.

Anyway, here I am. I had to take my anxiety medication after finding this bug, and I can't do anything until Monday when the rental office opens. Wish me luck, y'all. This is terrible.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 26 2018 11:08:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I work with bed bugs at a homeless shelter and take far less precautions than you unless in direct contact with a live infestation. I can see how your job may be suspect from an outside prospective, I hope it doesn't become an issue.

3. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 26 2018 17:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that. It's reassuring to hear. I really don't think I brought them home. I'm just so so careful because I never wanted to go through this again.

An update: I talked to my landlord this morning and she didn't ask where they came from, so maybe she knows of another active infestation in the building. Just waiting for inspection by PCO now.

4. bb0025

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 30 2018 16:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I made the grave mistake of speculating where I could have gotten them from in front of the maintenance guy for my apartment. Of course, went back to property management and they got off without paying. Don't be like me, just choose what you say carefully.

5. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 31 2018 12:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutely. That's excellent advice. I *don't* know where they came from, and that's my official line.

6. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 31 2018 13:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, no treatment scheduled yet, so the landlord is in violation of state law, which says that the landlord has four days to schedule an inspection. I'm documenting everything. And in the mean time I'm starting the treatment prep and doing a lot of steaming with my garment steamer. I might not be able to defeat the bugs completely on my own, but maybe I can keep the numbers down while I wait.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323