Thinking about moving

(13 posts)
  1. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 9:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I first noticed getting bit almost a month ago. We've treated our room with steam, hot shot stuff, mattress covers specifically for bb, and DE. We have NOT found any signs of bugs except my bites, and we've stripped our rooms... We're thinking about moving (not because of the bugs)... I don't want to take them with us though. We've talked about potentially getting a new bed frame and New couches. We've already cleaned all our clothes and have them stored in sealed containers. What is the likelihood of bringing them to the new place if we've not actually found any to know where they are living? I do know a PCO that can come and look if Necessary, but I'd rather get y'alls opinion first

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 19:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming you have bed bugs, which you don't know, the likelihood of taking them with you if you move is exceedingly high.

3. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 20:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I was worried about... But we have to move, so I guess we'll just have to take our chances

4. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 22:16:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It can be hard to catch your first bed bug...

I caught mine by luck at around the same time as you. I was getting itchy on the couch and getting bites. Decided to put a bed sheet on the couch in case I had developed an allergy to the couch material or something. Bbs have an anesthetic so you usually don't feel it right away. In one instance I did and it was crawling on the sheet trying to get into the couch again. Put it in a Ziploc bag and had it positively id'ed.

I have had many treatments but the building has a problem and they keep coming back (or the treatments are not very effective).

I get bitten very often but rarely see them (I do see them from time to time but it is rare).

I see blood and bb skins on my bed often.

I found my comforter was heavily infested. So a couple of days ago, since dryer only wasn't working, I filled the bathtub with hot water and fully immersed and soaked all bedding for over an hour in an attempt to drown the ba****s. Then I washed and dried it all. It has been better the last few days.

In your situation, I would either throw everything away and move (like I am planning to do but my stuff is all old anyway) or I would wait to see if you get a more serious problem. You don't want to take it to a new place, specially if you want to buy a place like I do.

I am also a newbie, but these are my thoughts for now.

5. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 22:21:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, we are in similar-ish situations I think. May be worth your while to have a look at some questions I posted as well here:

https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/throwing-away-everything-and-moving-strategy

6. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 22:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is... I seriously don't think we'll be taking them with us, as naive as this sounds (trust me I know how stupid it sounds). Our house that we rent is 67 years old with foundation problems. There are cracks all over from the settling, and our Windows have gaps that lead directly outside. We've got bb mattress covers on our mattress and our box spring and have not found any signs of them on our bed. Not their shell things or blood spots/fecal matter, etc. I sincerely think they're hiding in all the cracks in the house. We wash/dry all of our clothes and bedding daily and keep them in sealed containers straight from the dryer (on high for 80+ minutes per load). Anyway, I think we're just going to have to take our chances. At least if we have to treat at the new place, it'll be easier because we're downsizing both our square footage and our "stuff".

7. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 23:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You are the best judge of your situation. Even though I am new to this problem, I still say don't do it. The problem isn't bad yet, but these things multiply. That's why I suggested seeing if the problem gets worse. The last thing you want to do is move to your nice new place and have a problem in a few months. It takes time for it to develop and there is no way you can find every bug and every egg. I am afraid that if you do this, you may just delay a problem rather than solve it.

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh the way I wrote it. That's not my intent.. my intent is to encourage you to be extremely cautious. You don't seem to have a serious problem yet and if you haven't experienced it yet you have no idea how depressing it is.

8. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 23:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm getting devoured nearly every night or every other night. I've got about 10 new bites from last night... We don't have a choice but to move. We're very over extended finance wise, so we have to move and we have to do it within the week. We don't have enough money for the rent at the house, and the new place will save us nearly $400/month in expenses. I understand what you're saying... I just don't have the luxury of "giving it time" to get worse. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to multiply, but I know I don't have time to find out.

9. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 23:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm getting devoured nearly every night or every other night. I've got about 10 new bites from last night... We don't have a choice but to move. We're very over extended finance wise, so we have to move and we have to do it within the week. We don't have enough money for the rent at the house, and the new place will save us nearly $400/month in expenses. I understand what you're saying... I just don't have the luxury of "giving it time" to get worse. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to multiply, but I know I don't have time to find out.

10. Fallthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 23:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I didn't know that. We don't really know what to suggest then other than don't buy anything new unless it is food. The only way I can think of is to replace everything! And apparently even that didn't work for someone else!

I will let more experienced folks comment more. they may have better ideas than me!

11. Cheesecakes4charity

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 23:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the encouragement! I am pretty sure that's what we're going to have to do, and them deal after the move. It sucks :/

12. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Feb 3 2018 1:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm probably going to get yelled at but I would move.
    It is very hard to find bugs.
    As long as you're careful.
    I wouldn't have any problem moving 6 months ago even though I had bed bugs.
    I didn't know I had bugs then.
    You know so you can be careful.
    The concern I have for you is if you hire a moving company and don't tell them you have bed bugs.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  13. bitethebullet

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Feb 3 2018 13:50:15
    #

Login to Send PM

If you’re moving into an apartment you need to make sure you don’t bring them, because you’re not just affecting yourself—you’re putting other people at risk to get them.

The only thing I’d suggest is bring absolutely nothing with you, except clothes that have been washed and bagged. And don’t forget about your car. If you’ve had anything in there that may have had bed bugs in them, you’ll want to inspect that also. I believe Lou has some good, cheap suggestions in another thread. Maybe try the “car” tag.

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,416 posts in 46,573 topics over 141 months by 20,539 of 21,402 members. Latest: Crazyscared1978, rk990, Paranoid01270