Think twice about putting books in a Packtite

(9 posts)
  1. casey

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 17:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a general warning not to Packtite art books, graphic novels, and comic books. I put in two small stacks of books and every one came out warped in a slight bowl shape. The treatment took 6 hours because it took that long for the centre of the books to reach 120c. They were quite hot and droopy when I opened the bag. I shouldn't have taken the chance, but I had read mostly positive things about treating books in a Packtite.

The books can still be read, but it's not pleasant to do so because the covers and pages now "snap" around when opening or closing the book and turning pages. It seemed like the perimeter of the pages had shrunk. In short, if you collect books and you care about their condition at all, DO NOT put them in the Packtite. I ruined about $500 worth of books yesterday!

I realize that the Packtite is not specifically meant for treating books. I did this at my own risk, with bad results. What the Packtite does well is treat clothing, shoes, and suitcases. The version I bought is the large Packtite closet ($800).

I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my books now besides seal them up for 18 months. Vacuum? Examine and flip through each page of every book? We have gone through treatment (six sprays so far) and are still seeing bugs. We're moving in four weeks. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 18:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've just been using my Packtite Closet for "regular books" and haven't had a problem.

I know one poster from NY who no longer posts much (miss you BBUptown) did some of her canvases and was happy.

My own experience is with regular (not really expensive) clothes, books, shoes, etc. My Ryn sandals had some separation of the sole (it's plastic and glued on) but I took it to the cobbler to fix (shoe repair, whatever they are called).

Sorry to hear about your experience!

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 18:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Duplicate post

4. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 19:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi just like TAOT, last year I treated my fairly big entire collection of books with my closet packtite, I had hard covers, soft covers, art books, a few expensive ones, lots of valuable (to me anyhow) Artforum issues the thick ones.

I had no issues whatsoever, I put my books on a wooden dish holder type thing in the center of the closet, once I was done I stacked them in bunches really hard wrapped in plastic

Only thing I had was a DVD case (the ones that are like a book you open) the glue melted and the plastic part came undone, but that was easy to fix

Maybe if you try pressing them with something heavy the will go back to their shape??

I think in your case best option would be to store them 18 months, when I look at my book collection, I'd say maybe 10 to 20% I opened in the last year.... I mean they do tend to sit there for a long time when you have lots, so why not have them in storage...

In retrospect I may have done that instead, only to save on the manpower and labor and time

I did all my electronics in the packtite also, with no issues (I do not recommend this, do at your own risk!) that was more than a year ago and everything works

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  5. casey

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 1:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm, the dish rack idea is genius--it would keep the books separated and reduce treatment time.

I know that stacking the books didn't help the air to circulate, and the outside edges of the books got much hotter than the middle. Maybe that caused this warping, who knows. I just didn't have any ideas at the time on how to separate them. I'll definitely try to flatten them later after I have moved.

I actually do plan to do some electronics in the Packtite as long as there are no batteries involved. Here's hoping I don't wreck something else.

6. casey

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 1:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT, I had the soles fall off one pair of shoes as well! Heat is not good for old glue. As for canvases, I am going to try treating mine as well, starting with one I don't care too much about. Learned my lesson!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 3:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Most odd, I have been running PackTites as part of our off site decon facility for years and have literally processed libraries worth of books and never encountered this issue.

Sending an email to get Terry to order some drying racks though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. casey

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 16:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if the problem might be related to the very dry climate here. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 18:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

casey - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm not sure if the problem might be related to the very dry climate here. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I'm not an expert and I don't have one of these units, but I can imagine variations based on altitude, humidity, items being treated, packing and perhaps even variations from unit to unit. I wonder if there is (or could be) a "gentle" mode that would be safer for sensitive items.

Libraries and museums use DDVP strips to render priceless items bug-free. These must be used in careful adherence to safety instructions.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07