(8 posts)
  1. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 7:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    In early January I discovered I had bedbugs in my NYC apartment. Initially, the PCO said it was a small infestation, but 4 treatments about 25 dead bbs later, I know it is not. Before I realized I had them, I had traveled multiple times to my parents' house (a large, 7 bedroom house), often bringing luggage or bags of my belongings with me. I think it's fair to assume that I probably brought some with me at some point, even if they have yet to show their face. So, I'm not sure what to do for the next course of action. I have read all the FAQs and know all the options out there and just wanted to get some opinions. Should I put some DE down, as I already have some. I can put it in rooms that are occupied (some are not since my siblings and I have all moved out), any room I've slept in, also in those rooms - in between the mattress and box spring and then also on the sofa.
    Or should I hire a PCO to do an inspection?
    Or should I get a canine inspection (followed by visual confirmation of course)?
    Or anything else that someone might suggest?
    Thank you!

2. pathli

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 8:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the same fears here! What I do is, I am very careful when i go there now. I have left clothes behind there, and when i arrive i change in the garage. My parents have been in thier house forever and it would be a nightmare to have to pack everything in that house up for treatment! But so far so good. What i do is, we check often. so far so good, touch wood.

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 9:06:00
    #

Login to Send PM

For the price of a dog, you can buy passive monitors. You might want to consider.

It is surprising but some people never transfer them, such as buggyinsocal. Do you leave items in the hall or garage, or immediately bring to your room?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. pathli

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 9:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT,
    Do you store your thongs in the garage?

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 9:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I do. How did you know?

6. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 10:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank TAOT for the suggestion. I usually would leave my stuff in the kitchen for a while before I would bring it to my room. When the holidays came, I stayed in another bedroom with all my stuff, so I'm suspecting that those would be the 2 rooms they would be hiding if they are indeed in the house.

Pathli, glad to hear you things are going well so far.

7. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 12:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously - don't apply any treatments. No DIY chem & definitely not DE. If you decide to go with pro inspection at any point, DIY efforts can obscure the nature & extent of a problem, &/or make it harder to treat. IIRC, on safety grounds dog handlers need there to be no DE anywhere the dog might encounter it.

It's important to identfy a pest before treating. All treatments, even the "natural" (an adjective also applicable to arsenic, honey badgers & anthrax) treatments have risks & drawbacks, so they're best kept out of the home until one knows one needs them.

If BBs are present in your parent's home then only considering where you've been wouldn't be enough - BBs don't just wait; they also respond to signs of their prey so they may have travelled to other rooms in search of a feed.

Yes, there's a risk of transfer but if you've only found 25 dead BBs since treatment began, it seems as though your problem might be in the light-to-moderate ballpark (compared wth some we've seen around these parts) & fewer bugs mean fewer opportunities for transfer. You haven't been at your parents' place every day, so that reduces the opportunities for transfer - look at it from a statistical POV & you'll see that your chances of delivering a hitchiker are probably not as high as you may fear.

If you haven't already,spend some quality time with this site's FAQs; http://bedbugger.com/faqs/ Make a careful inspection plan, then conduct a calm, thorough & methodical search of your parents' home according to that plan.

If you find no signs of bed bugs then how you monitor for BB activity comes down to regular visual inspections, with or without the aid of monitoring devices.

There is no one-time aproach to your parents' place until the problem in your home is resolved, not because your risk of transfer is huge, but because because the stress & distress that BBs cause can be significant, so it's best to make managing that a part of one's strategy from the get-go.

Which is why I'd suggst Passive monitors. A PCO, with or without a dog can only say, "No BBs here today", whereas the Passive offers ongoing information &, hopefully, reassurance.

8. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 12:40:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, thank you so much Koebner. That is really helpful and thoughtful response. Thank you for the feedback.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,362 posts in 46,986 topics over 143 months by 20,736 of 21,010 members. Latest: Chumchum871, concernedmom, Bedbugs_PTSD