Think I brought BB's home from work

(11 posts)
  1. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Apr 5 2018 23:53:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a confirmed BB crawl on me at work a couple of years ago. I bought passive monitors for my bed and couch and never saw any activity. Fast forward to now. My boss gave out sweatshirts a month ago. It's been sitting in a shopping bag in my apartment. Tonight I put it on for the first time. A few hours later I found a BB crawling on my arm on the outside of my sleeve. Panic ensued. I flushed the bug and threw out the shirt in a double trash bag. I tore up the couch I was sitting on and found nothing. Monitors are still looking the same as the day they came out of the package. I don't see any bites.

What do I do now-I'm ready to have a heart attack. I live in an apartment and can't afford to treat. I have no idea what I'm going to do. The bug tonight was light colored and flat. It was slow moving and easy to grab. It had a little bit of black in its back end. It was definitely a BB. I read hundreds of posts on this site when I had my first scare at work. I was SO STUPID to bring that shirt home.

2. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 6 2018 0:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let me-this is what I wanted to add-

Edited to add-I brought the shirt home 2 weeks ago. This is the first time I ever took it out of the bag and put it on. Could a BB have been hiding in there all this time? The bag was in my bedroom, but not near the bed.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 6 2018 11:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

That seems like an unlikely scenario for a bed bug, but anything is possible. Shame you didn't take of picture of the bug before you flushed it, there are plenty of other insects that can look like a bed bug to most folks.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 6 2018 11:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 25 minutes ago  » 
    That seems like an unlikely scenario for a bed bug, but anything is possible. Shame you didn't take of picture of the bug before you flushed it, there are plenty of other insects that can look like a bed bug to most folks.

I panicked :(. If I see anything else that remotely looks like a BB I'll photograph it. To my layperson eyes, it looked like the one I saw at work in 2015, but smaller and lighter brown. Had the striped bottom half and the black "stuff" towards its rear. It was flat. It looked more rounded rather than pointed at the back end. In tearing up my house today, I have only unearthed carpet beetle larvae. I saw nothing in my monitors and nothing on the couch. We even flipped it over to get a good look underneath. We did not cut into the fabric bottom yet though. The clear monitors are keeping me from totally going into orbit.

5. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Apr 12 2018 21:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's been a week since i saw what I'm almost certain was a BB crawling on me on my sofa. My old passive monitors show nothing. I knocked one off inadvertently while inspecting, but put a new one on 2 nights ago. I inspected all of the couch short of cutting into the dust cover. I did not lift up the mattress and box spring as the monitors were clean. It's really hard for me to lift them. I also installed a new monitor at work, but that's only been in place a few days. No obvious to me signs of BB's anywhere.

Obviously I've been beyond anxious and several members have been kind enough to deal with my multiple PM's. Tonight I found an itchy "welt" in the crook of my elbow that definitely looked like something stuck me. The itching subsided quickly and the redness mostly went away, but it's still faintly there-scaring me.

When can I start thinking I'm just obsessing over nothing? I'll never not have monitors, but my anxiety over this is starting to turn obsessive and I'm actively trying to relax-not working since I'm typing here tonight! I had plans to go away this weekend, but am fearful to now :/

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 9:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

No signs on the monitors, no live samples spotted, a random welt on your arm, I think you can relax at this point.

7. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 12:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you-I will definitely start trying! Thank you for helping to ease my mind with factual reasons why I probably have nothing to worry about.

8. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu May 17 2018 20:59:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to post it's been about 6 weeks since I saw my "bug." I'm still convinced it was a BB, but I've seen no further signs and have clean monitors. I'm so very appreciative of the members that gave me advice and "talked me down." I'm containing to hope it was a stray bug brought from work. I'm being diligent about taking precautions there and my office monitor is clear. If there were more bugs I guess I would be seeing them by now. I haven't lifted my box spring as previously mentioned.

I have realized I have way way way too much clutter. I would like to donate the useful things and clothes. Is that safe to do at this point? I'd be horrified to give something away that could have something barbering in it.

Thank you again-

9. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 18 2018 9:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops-I meant bugs "harboring" not barbering. Although that would be quite a feat if they could do that too!

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 18 2018 10:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I would feel confident that you do not have any bed bugs, so donating the stuff you no longer need should not cause a problem.

11. BugsAtWork

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 18 2018 15:40:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!!! I still can't wrap my mind around having only the one Bug (maybe) but I will continue to be cautious going to and from work and lose the clutter!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,466 posts in 46,336 topics over 141 months by 20,421 of 21,261 members. Latest: rebecgood, chrissy8929, Chronic