They keep popping up where we least expect them, and my heart is sinking:-(

(3 posts)
  1. cclemence1

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 15 2014 23:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll skip the boring details and get to the point. We have bed bugs, no doubt. Have had them for about 3-4 months now, and found out right around Thanksgiving. Our first treatment was December 1st (had to wait so long due to the holidays.) We have an expensive Tempurpedic mattress, so obviously we HATED to just "get rid of" our bed, but finally decided to toss the box spring, but wrap the memory foam. We DO NOT have a heavy infestation, and strongly believe they were mainly concentrated in our bedroom, which is the middle bedroom of a 3 bedroom apartment.

Let me back track, however. The day before our first treatment, we were thinking that it was great that we hadn't seen any in the living room, or anywhere else. When we found one right by our front door. Mind you, I am thinking that it may have been transferred as I was carrying massive amounts of laundry to and from the laundry room down the hall of our apartment. Praying that's where he came from.

Fast forward to today. I've been reading various forums, articles, blogs and seeking different advice since Thanksgiving. I've been pretty certain that they don't typically hang out in or around plastics. Since we aren't heavily infested, I figured our "plastics" (ie, baby toys, books, etc) were fine. We are actually closing on a home on Friday, (unrelated to having bugs, we were moving anyway) so I guess it came at a good time because everything we have bagged up (mostly the clean, washed AND dried clothing) is being moved to the new home.

Now, mind you, we have had our clothing and things bagged up, sitting in our living room, since the first week that we found them, so just shy of about a month ago. Well, as I was moving some trash bags of CLEAN clothes to the car to move in the morning, my heart sunk. There, on the top of one of the trash bags (of CLEAN clothes) was a real, live, adult bed bug. I immediately sprayed and killed it with rubbing alcohol.

My husband and I have been freaking out about not bringing them to the new home. We have gone back and forth about risking bringing our furniture, or not. We are already getting a new bed for us, and for our 7 year old daughter. (We are going to double-encase our memory foam AND keep it in our new shed for a 18 months before we even THINK about using it again.) We just recently bought a new (inexpensive) couch, and also have a dresser, nightstand, headboard (for my oldest daughter) and a really nice crib with attached changer (for my one year old) that I really don't want to get rid of. I am skeptical about our pest control company, as they are only doing 2 treatments, and the first one wasn't even very thorough, because they completely skipped the outlets I had taped off, and my grandfather's bed (who, on a side note, is not moving with us). So their lack of concern scares me too.

Could the one I found tonight just be straggler? How many more "stragglers" could there be? Do I have to worry about electronics, my husbands video game consoles, my laptop that's frequently in use? SO many questions! If I just thoroughly check everything, and spray what I can with rubbing alcohol, will we be ok? How will I know if they are gone from the apartment, before I move furniture into my new home? (We plan on moving with the bare essentials, and then waiting to move the rest of our stuff til we are cleared from bugs). How will we know they are gone if we aren't even living there? Can we lie to our pest company just to get them to come back out again anyway? I am so scared of bringing them to our new home. ANY comments would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 16 2014 0:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You may want to research monitors on this site.

Bedbugs tend to live within 3-6 feet of you (to start and then spread out for various reasons).

I'm not an expert so I can't help much more than that.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 18 2014 11:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved. First. I am no expert. My own levels of anxiety are rooted in what PCOs in life and people on here have said.

Electronics. I used Nuvan strips. Duct taped ventilation holes in storage totes, loaded them, stuck a strip go the lid, sealed them in duct tape. I miss my laptop and Xbox but I don't miss those BBs and I wasn't willing to trust they were 'clear.' Please check the FAQs and do research. Make sure that the kind/size/use is all correct for you. I know some say it is overkill or uneccessary but it was what I chose.

Finding 'stragglers.' I found lots of stragglers. After the fourth or fifth I accepted they were not stragglers. I found out by interrogating neighbors that the place I moved into was in a known infested building. Awesome!

In strange places. My PCO told me lots of stuff. 'They don't go into the walls.' Yeah? Found on sitting on the edge of a crack in the ceiling. 'We don't treat bathrooms. They don't go there.' More of my BBs were found in the bathroom than any other room. I assume travelling from next door! 'Kitchen is fine. They aren't in the kitchen. EVER.' Except the two I found at the baseboard. Of the kitchen.

Fact is these bugs are determined. If you share an entrance space they may be in it. Bathroom wall shared? Could be there. Kitchen shares a wall with your couch? Yep. And so on. I don't mean to say typical behavior puts them in atypical places but hey. Things happen. Also found the damned things in my basement of all places. Nothing was there except Christmas decor and my washer/dryer. I imagine they came down in clothes but I found a lot there so who even knows!! I say do your research in well qualified places. Get knowledgable info and go from there. Again I went crazy. Probably too crazy. But I moved and I sleep well at night and really that is all that matters to me!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,916 posts in 48,923 topics over 151 months by 21,472 of 21,878 members. Latest: NW516, Charly_051, EduardoR