They hitchhiked on my Dad

(9 posts)
  1. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 12:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. It's unfortunate that i even had to make a profile for this site, but it is what it is. I've been lurking here for awhile, but figured it would be best for me to actually join to get some feedback.

My nightmare all began around the middle to late of June. I started getting these strange bites and could not ID what they were. An internet search led me to this site, which made me paranoid. A couple of weeks later, I found the culprit wandering across the armrest of the couch. It was a bedbug! From there, I tried to find ways to kill them. Wasted my money on the Ortho bedbug spray. We did have a steamer lying around,so I used that and the vacuum on the couch and another chair in the room I felt kind of itchy on. The bites continued off an on and I always thought it was the couch, still.

Fast forward to early August and I see one scrambling across my pillow. WTH? I vacuum, steam, and use that Ortho stuff again (yeah...). Don't see another one for another couple of weeks, but bites continue.

Now, I see and kill at least 3 almost everyday. I bought some Kleen-Free. not sure how good that is going to work. Just ordered a mattress and box spring encasement. The thing is i think they have spread because not only do I kill them on my bed, i have seen them on my clothes sitting on a chair, at a chair where I sit at the computer, on a bath towel, and near the linen closet. I also killed an engorged one on the couch last night! I though they had migrated away, but I was wrong. i had no idea where they came from, although my mom thought it was my Dad. When I did tell my Dad about them, he said they my half-sister and her family had an outbreak early August and he has been fighting them since a couple of months ago too. So it a cycle between 3 houses. Well, my Dad lives in a dodgy apt complex and my half-sister in a townhome complex. My mom and I live in a home.

So, we ID'd the source and now I'm scared for my Dad to come over. Furthermore, I don't know how to get ride of the problem short of a PCO. We don;t have any money. I did clear out some clutter in my room, but I still got a way to go. Not only do we have bed bugs, but we also have roaches (pretty much long term residents) and mice (peaked at same time as BB). this place is a dump. Why did this have to happen to us? Just another problem on our list and more stress...

2. Basementrenter

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 13:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like your infestation is pretty bad. My boxspring was full of them when my landlady called the PCO. She got rid of it and gave me a new one. The PCO sprayed it with Plytherine(sp?)
    And everywhere else. I freaked out too after the first treatment when I saw them amongst my things. That is way more scary than finding them in walls or floors. I'm no expert, but maybe you could invest in a steam cleaner or paktite. But I think the combined cost of the two will be pretty much the cost of calling PCO. The PCO my landlady called cost $500 and it included to treatments and 6 months guarantee. I don't know how good they are. But we'll see. See if there is an affordable PCO in your area.

PS. It is weird that your dad never mentioned about having bedbugs to you and your mom! He must've known he can spread it.

3. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 13:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Does the PCO seem to work at all? I don't even have a job right now and my mom has <$100 in her bank account due to long time of underemployment and unemployment. I just graduated from college and money that I maybe could have spent on PCO had to be used to remove my financial hold and get my diploma and transcripts so I can actually get a job and tackle this. I know they have heat treatments, but they are so expensive and may not be a guarantee. is that the normal rate for a PCO? i don't want to call anyone bc I know i can't afford it anyway. I just feel like I let them get our of control. My mom hardly ever gets bit, or either doesn't react to it (which is odd bc bloodsuckers usually go for her and not me), so it is mostly my problem. The encasements just came today, probably while I was typing my first post. Don't think it is going to make a significant difference.

Last night, I killed 6 - the engorged one on the couch and 5 in my bed. 1 looked like an adult and the rest, maybe nymphs. One had the audicity to go under my shirt to feed. :shudders: As far as the rest of the house goes - yeah it freaks me out seeing them in other places. I hadnt seen one on the couch since the first time, but like I said, I continued being bitten. Then, 1 on a bath towel in the BR, which came out of the linen closet, where another was running across the door (spotted by my mom), 4 on my clothes. I think they were actually in my clothes and biting me. I didn't mention all this to my Dad until a couple of months later, which is when he reacted and told me he had them too. I guess he was concerned, with the stigma and all. It would have helped us to take care of this earlier by throwing out the couch. It;s trash anyway, and has holes in it, which I'm pretty sure is their entry/exit point. Scared to get a new one unless we get an encasement for it because I dont want them messing up that either.

I'm not sure how my half-sister is doing in all this. All I know is that my dad said she, her mother, and one of my half-brothers were being bitten. The other brother wasn't, or just wasn;t reacting. My half-sister was being bit on her face. They got some encasments and that's all I know. My dad said he threw out his mattress, got a new one with an encasement, and vacuums frequently (not sure how much). He said it has gotten better, but I dont think they are gone. I planned on moving out in a few yrs but now that is all complicated because I dont want them to hitchhike. Hell, I can;t even camp out in another room when i think I'm being attacked by roaches and mice are climbing up the curtains because the BB are probably waiting for me. I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with this for a long time. i wish I could go back to early June when I was more relaxed. Well, relaxed is a relative term bc the mice nearly give me a heart attack, as do the roaches.

No, I'm never really relaxed here.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 15:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Paranoid12 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi everyone. It's unfortunate that i even had to make a profile for this site, but it is what it is.

Hi Paranoid12,

To respond to your comment about having to register, we don't allow anonymous posts on the forums (even though the software would allow it), and there's a very good reason why. Many people try and post fake reviews of products and services. Requiring registration helps us weed those folks out and protect consumers.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 15:15:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Now, some feedback:

Are you renting? It sounds like maybe not, but I wanted to make sure. If you are, in many places, landlords are responsible for paying a licensed pro to treat. Find out the local laws. A tenants' organization can usually advise you and you can find one through Google. Private message me if you need help.

An experienced pro is going to be your best bet. If you are seeing three bed bugs a day, in multiple rooms, then it is probably past the point where your methods are doing much good. (Although, by all means, every bed bug you kill helps). You can't generalize about whether pros are effective -- some are better than others. However, considering you likely have zero background in killing bed bugs, it is probably true that even PCOs who aren't the best in class can do a good job and eliminate this problem better than someone who never did it before. The good news is that good, experienced PCOs don't necessarily charge more than less experienced ones, so talk to a few and ask questions. We can help with those. Heat treatment (structural heat, not steam) is likely to be out of range if money is tight, as is Vikane gas fumigation.

If you must self-treat, then you need to do some research and learn to do it properly. This is not like treating ants or roaches. There are comprehensive guides in the resources page. You can ask questions of pros here (like p bello) and Paul Bello and David Cain even have books which might help.

Kleen Free is a contact kill spray and will only kill bed bugs which are sprayed directly. You have to assume you won't see and spray most of them directly. Steam (a powerful contact killer) and dusts (mechanical killer) can work (see our FAQs on killing bed bugs with steam and on DE), and there are residual sprays which can be of more help than contact kill sprays, because they stay down and keep killing, but you have to learn how to use them to do the job. It's probably at least 80% knowledge of bed bugs and 20% which product you use.

First figure out if you might be entitled to treatment, and if not, consider carefully whether your family can afford this somehow. If the answer to both is no, then you need to learn as much as you can before you treat further.

6. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 20:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

nobugsonme - I didn't even know I could post without registering. It's just unfortunate that I had to register because by doing so means I have a BB problem.

No, we aren't renting. I'm living with my mom in the same house that she has been living in since she was a child. This home is over 50 yrs old, maybe 60 yrs old. I live Houston and not sure of good PCOs around the area. i have a steamer that was laying around the house that I use, but it's more of a floor steamer, which makes it really awkward when I'm trying to steam vertical surfaces. Plus, it makes things a little wet. Not sure how much it worked. I feel like I'm not really targeting the right areas. They hide really well, but it seems like they get desperate and start running around sometimes. When I'm killing the multiple bugs, it's usually due to me, being too paranoid to sleep and seeing them walking across my bed to get me. That's when they meet their maker. I get a joy out of squashing them, although each one I see makes me more creeped out.

7. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 5:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, I think I seriously need professional help.

I've been up basically all night with less than an hr of sleep because of BB. Wednesday, there was one running toward me across my table where my computer is while I was watching "Parenthood". Later on that night, another engorged one was just leaving when I happened to wake up. Across the room, I see a thin adult chilling on some clothes on my chair. I sleep on the couch, which is also infested. I wake up with a few bites.

Tonight, I try to sleep on the couch again and I'm so tired. Start feeling creepy crawly and itchy. See nothing. Feeling continues and I look on my shirt closest to the wall of the couch and there was a BB trying to scurry away. I was about to kill him like all the others, but I decide to save him in a Ziploc and place him in the freezer just in case. Look at my bed and chicken out. Try to lay on the couch multiple times and can't. Get up to go to the RR and see a fuggin' BB on the soap dish ...a porcelain soap dish attached to ceramic tiles.

I'm done.

8. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 10 2012 21:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, 2 Saturdays ago, I called 2 PCOs. One told me they only did heat treatment and the price would be $1300, no matter the size of the house. Our house is only 850 sq ft, so IDK. He said he didn't think the infestation was that bad, even though he didn't really inspect. Another PCO returned my call from the day before and told their quotes. $195-295 per room for the visit, $150 per room on the second visit, and $99 per room on the third. Yeah, that really adds up. Later that day, my Dad came by and helped me put on the box spring and mattress covers. We vacuumed under the bed only to find out the vacuum cleaner roller no longer works so we no longer have a vacuum sweeper. :/ When we were taking off the sheets, I saw that the BBs weren't actually on the mattress, but really on the bed sheet. Gross. 2 must have fell of or whatever onto the computer chair and were just chilling. I killed them.
    After he left, my mom was at the computer and felt something crawling on her. I already had an idea what it was and sure enough there was an adult BB resting underneath the chair cushion. Upon closer inspection, I saw that they had made a mini nest along the seams of the cushion (well, it was really a pillow). I tried spraying them to save the pillow and then thought "Oh what the hell" and threw it out. That was a nice pillow too.
    Since then I haven't seen as much activity until now. I still haven't seen one, but now I have new bites. I know they are still on the couch, so IDK if the bites are from the couch or from :gulp: my bed again. I have no sheets. I'm basically just sleeping on the mattress cover. This is aggravating.

9. jarodsafehouse71

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 14:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Paranoid12, Sorry to hear of your problem and lack of $$ to solve it with a PCO.

We dealt with Orkin (and still are, we can't seem to solve the problem). When we were first finding we had a problem and my parents decided to take care of my sister's place too (where our BB problem came from), the inspector suggested trying the Red Cross to see if my sister could get help with paying for treatment or paying for it altogether. Our inspector said he'd had success in the past getting help from The Red Cross so I would give them a call and see if they might be able to help you out.

Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991