Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

"they have bed bug spray"

(16 posts)
  1. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 18:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

My father to me today: "If you're still worried you have bed bugs, I was walking down the aisle at Home Depot this weekend and I saw they have a spray".
    Me: Spray doesn't work.
    My father: No, this is spray specifically for bed bugs.
    Me: Yes, but it doesn't work.
    My father: No, really. You just spray it on your mattress.
    Me: But that's only if they are in your mattress.
    My father: He said spray it on your mattress and in the baseboards, too. Should kill them.
    Me: <give it up, if I find an actual bug, show it then>

>headdesk<

How many people are being misled by Home Depot?

On a further note - I think I have fewer bug bites than I was getting. If I have any at all, I have one thing I think is an ingrown hair. I did stick my laptop (which I suspected had bugs) in its case, zip it, and cover the end with Scotch tape. But that wouldn't end the issue if I was actually infested, right?

2. KirkLazarus

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 18:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My dad was. Those dolts told him a similar thing - that spraying the mattress and using FOGGERS would kill them all. No it doesn't.

3. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 19:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My research says the bed bugs are resistant to the sprays. They might kill on a direct hit, but we all know bed bugs like to stay hidden away. The spray loses its killing power quickly, and the bugs can soon walk right over the sprayed area with no problem.

I would love to be wrong. Does someone know of an effective commercially available spray?

4. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 19:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, they are resistant. So why is Home Depot telling people it works?????

5. Beth

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 19:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The Hot Shots spray does work on adults in my experience, just not for anything else. So does rubbing alcohol for that matter.

Amy

6. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 19:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

True, Amy - I shuld be more specific. There are lots of things that kill adults but none commercially available that kill eggs.

7. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 19:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

mcsmcs - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Oh, they are resistant. So why is Home Depot telling people it works?????

Something about making money.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 20:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

MCS, to say that the sprays don't work as a blanket statement is a bit too broad and probably inaccurate. While BB eradication can be tricky and time consuming and there's no "magic bullet", some sprays, including the ones sold at HD, may do the job for some people, especially if used strategically. In fact, IIRC, the "SprayWay Good Night" that HD sells (in NYC) has the same ingredients as "Bedlam", which is an important tool against BB. I am, however, irked, at the big stores selling "electronic bug repellents" near the insect sprays. These have been subject to FTC action, yet I suspect that the store is positioning them as an "irrestible buy" (at 3 for $20), for desperate but uneducated people.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 20:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ: Please feel free to comment on what I said above if you feel it's incorrect or not constructive.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 22:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Magic bullet=PM KQ.

Look how it is on the screen.

The orange jacketed folks are not experts on pest control. They are sharp on some things but not BBs.

I would love to be wrong. Does someone know of an effective commercially available spray?

Pesticide dusts are more effective than liquids but most folks want an aerosol can.

Jim

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 22:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ's message above was deleted.

KillerQueen, I know you know that advertising your services on the forums is not permitted. Putting an arrow towards your name and the words "magic bullet" is pretty clearly self-promotion.

I enforce this for others who come on the forums, and I have to be fair, whether I think someone has got the goods or not. If anyone does not know why the forum has this rule, feel free to get in touch with me (nobugs at bedbugger dot com is preferred over PMs).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 19 2010 22:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem .. I was not trying to advertise, but I get it. I just was trying to clown around with the regs of the site.

No worries

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 20 2010 6:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

And I totally didn't get it

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 20 2010 17:39:22
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ is not a magic bullet but rather to some a bed bug Beretta or cimex claymore, a genuine night crawler killing nunchaku. A milano master at sniffing out bed bugs better then some K9s of that you can be assured. No doubt about it. I think the heat has gotten to me not to mention the plethora of bed bug besieged New Yorkers who find there way to telephones.

15. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 20 2010 19:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

@winston: AAAAHHAHAHA!!!!

16. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 21 2010 22:36:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 1 day ago  » 
    KQ is not a magic bullet but rather to some a bed bug Beretta or cimex claymore, a genuine night crawler killing nunchaku. A milano master at sniffing out bed bugs better then some K9s of that you can be assured. No doubt about it. I think the heat has gotten to me not to mention the plethora of bed bug besieged New Yorkers who find there way to telephones.

Ok now I see the problem .. lol

Send me your contact info and I'll buy you an answering machine for your birthday.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88