Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

They followed me.... What did I do wrong?

(11 posts)
  1. brokewithbbs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 10:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have very limited resources. I'm using diatomatious earth on everything that I can't put in a dryer, but i'm concerned about the eggs. Does de work on eggs? My story starts in my own apt in OKC around July of this year. I have no idea where they came from. I was out of a job and had no internet access, so I just threw out my mattress. I know now that was a terrible idea... they just spread to the rest of my apt. I heard they will die in high heat in the dryer, so I washed as often as I could. A couple months later, my lease was up and I was asked to move. (not b/c of the bbs) In addition to having to move, I had a broken foot and had to wear a boot. I put all my stuff in a storage unit thinking that in the heat of the summer, they would die. Unfortunately, when I checked the thermometer I put in the unit, it didn't reach over 100f. I'm pretty sure the unit is still infested. Anything that I planned to take with me that I couldn't put in a dryer, I put in a black garbage bag and left it in my car sitting in the sun for several hours. I checked the temp in my car with a thermometer and it exceeded 120f. I moved in with my brother on a temporary basis. I brought with me all of my clothes, my luggage, a few books and about a box full of random items I use everyday. I noticed a few bites on my arms after I had gotten something from my storage. I wasn't sure if I had gotten bit at the unit or if i had brought them to my bros. I avoided going to my storage unit again. After a week or 2, I noticed I was getting random bumps, but they didn't itch, so I wasn't sure if they were from bugs or not. It eventually got worse and I was sure the bugs had followed me there. I had only planned to stay for a couple of months, so it was time to move again. I was working, but only making min wage and also my car broke down. My only option was to move back in with my dad in Florida. I had to take a bus and they don't allow you to use trash bags as ur luggage. So, I covered my luggage and shoes in de and washed and dried all my clothes in high heat. I also brought with me a box of random items that I use on a regular basis. I've been gone from OKC for about 2 weeks now and I noticed 2 bites on my hand a few days ago, but they didn't itch. I am in Florida, so I was hoping it was some other bug. But, the next few days I got itchy red bumps with the signature red dot in the middle on my arms and back. Now, I know for sure they are bed bug bites. Oh the itching!!!! So, I told dad that despite my efforts they had followed me here. I decided to throw out my luggage. I have put all my laundry thru the high heat of the laundromat driers and then placed them in large ziplock bags. I still have the box of my random stuff... makeup, hair dryer, books, paperwork, perfume... things like that. I'm not sure what to do with this stuff or with my shoes. I really need some advice. I don't have the money for a PCO. I personally don't have any money myself. My dad is paying for the materials. From the research I've done, I understand that bbs are creatures of the night and that they feed and then go hide. How likely is it that they have gotten in other places in the house? So far, I'm the only one with bites. How long should I leave the DE on the floor? If I vacuum with the de in the carpet, is there any chance the bbs will live in the vacuum?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 14:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear brokewbbs,

I read your post. Please refer to my posts sent to others where various suggestions were detailed as many of these may be applicable to you.

Once you've reviewed them, please post any additional questions & concerns you may have.

Hope this helps, paul b.

3. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 14:09:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey I think I can answer some of these questions from the knowledge I gained from reading other resources.

DE won't kill eggs but when they hatch and get exposed to de they die.
    Bugs can live inside vacuum so change bags.
    The bite marks could be from anything so maybe you can do a thorough inspection of the house just to be sure.
    Bbs apparently prefer night but aren't choosy. they are opportunistic.

I am sure someone with more information will answer your question and give you better advice.
    Bite mark alone is not evidence of a problem (from David Caine) you need to look for confirming evidences - he says cast skins, dead or alive specimens , faecal traces

I hope and pray for your sake that the bites are due to something else or reaction to earlier bites. Have a wonderful new year. Stay strong and be positive.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 18:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear brokewbbs,

I'm sorry youre going through this !

Have you found any tangible evidence of BBs beyond your bites?

Telltale signs of BBs include: fecal stains, shed skins, carcasses, eggs & live BBs. Have you found any of these items at your place?

While you may have BBs, the fact remains that if BBs indeed feed, they will leave fecal stains somewhere that would eventually be discovered during inspection.

Please check your mattress, box spring and bed frame. Use an LED flashlight and magnifying glass to enhance your search. If you're certain you're being bit but cannot find physical evidence you likley need to keep looking.

BBs prefer to hide in undistrubed places, cracks, crevices, invaginations, screw holes, etc.

Spend some time hunting for BB evidence and let us know what you find.

Hope this helps, paul b.

5. brokewithbbs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 0:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I haven't done any searching since I arrived in Fl. When I was in my apt in OKC I did see a live one when I pulled up the carpet. It was a nymph. I could barely see it and it moved very fast when I move the carpet. Since then I haven't seen any evidence, but I haven't done any thorough investigating... I just assumed that since these bites are the same terrible itchiness and swelling that I've had, that they are bb bites. Is it really necessary to find the evidence? I've only been here for about a week so I was thinkin that I wouldn't be able to find anything right now.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 10:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If there are bites then there should be fecal stains to find that would help to confirm the presence of BBs.

7. brokewithbbs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 1 2012 23:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered ClimbUp's.... I hope they work. If so then I'll know for sure if there are bb's in my room.

8. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2012 0:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

brokewithbbs-hi.
    Sorry about the not knowing. This is a frustrating and stress producing place to be since your not sure where to turn.

I don't know if I just got lucky but during my fairly light infestation I didn't have too much trouble finding a couple of bedbugs. I'm fairly non reactive to bites but my daughter's bites manifested brutally on her skin. After a doctor said she thought my daughters bites were dust mites or bbs. I went on the internet and it was daunting. I hired a less than helpful k9 team that went through my apartment with the dog alerting at a dresser near the bed, I was not in denial but I was skeptical since the handler made no attempt to verify his dogs alert. Therefore I spent a lot of time, especially on the weekend following the K9 visit quietly sitting on the bed. Bingo. One of the hungry suckers, an adult emerged from a crease in the tousled top sheet--during the day. I know this is repetitive and you did see a bb nymph. Are you sure it was a bb nymph in your former apartment? You have made 2 moves since then with only bites and no sightings of bbs. or fecal markings. Any blood on the sheets? My daughter would roll over in her sleep and crush a bug or two. It left smeared blood stains. I also bought bb. certified mattress protectors for the bunk bed we shared. As for the climb-ups; by the time I bought those my infestation appeared to be wiped out....chemical treatments from a good pco. Btw. my bugs were only found harboring in the wood frame of the bunk beds. I caught it early due to my daughters distress and doubt very much that they were ever harboring anywhere else. There wasn't any evidence of them and they do leave evidence of their presence. (Of course i still did the bagging and washing etc.

I hope you get some kind of proof of what's going on in your dad's home real soon. Glad to hear that it appears that you have a supportive family. There is much to be gained to help you on this site.
    All the best. And don't switch beds if you can help it. This will only serve to spread them as they seek their host.

9. victimandveteran

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2012 3:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

brokewithbbs - 3 hours ago  » 
    I ordered ClimbUp's.... I hope they work. If so then I'll know for sure if there are bb's in my room.

Either Bed Bugs are really hard to track or I've been itching and running away with my imagination.

I've used the ClimbUps, metal dogbowls with oil, bedbugsupply monitors, an Dewey pheromone monitors. 2 full apartments later, I've got a PCO telling me I don't have BBs, that they're probably fleas and I'm yet to see something beyond carpet beetle larva.

What we're going to try next once we move back to our bed (after-cleanse) is to add fabric strips to the outside. I think the surface might be too hard for them to climb. So if you don't get anything for a day or so, you might try adding something to aide them into the bowls. Also, be careful of them cracking. Ours did (and we're not that big) and that was the last time we bothered with them. We're using aluminum now.

I know they're BBs w/o seeing them. I you have them, you'll get familiar as well. Heh I just got back from watching the Mission Impossible movie (really good btw) at Pacific Theaters Glendale CA and I had bumps on my knuckles and legs. Made me laugh. -> Don't bring your purse to the movies

They probably can't find proof either.

Heh, maybe it's 'fleas'.

10. brokewithbbs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for your info. I laid down DE all over the carpet in my room and I haven't had very many bites lately. I just got the climbups in the mail yesterday and I didn't see any in them this am. I have a feeling that any that are on the floor or in anything in my room have died from the DE, but I'm sure they're still in my bed... I'm not quite sure what is the best approach with my bed. Should I cover it with DE and put a mattress cover over it? If I do that, should I make sure it's sealed? Will regular mattress covers work or should I look at the special bedbug proof kind? If I get the bedbug proof kind, how will I now if they're gone? Just not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions?

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 15:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear broke,

I don't have a lot of confidence in your DE aplication. Hopefully for your sake, I'm wrong about that.

Your bed:

> Inspect the bed thoroughly. Treat as you inspect all places where BBs may be hiding.

> Vacuum your mattress thoroughly !

> Install BB proof encasement(s).

Hope this helps ! pb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,647 posts in 50,007 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop