Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Thermaspot: another product from David James (maker of the Packtite)

(26 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 11:46:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Does David James ever sleep?

New from the maker of Packtite: Thermaspot is a tool that helps you easily confirm heat treated items reach 120F. Please check out my new post about it on the Bedbugger blog.

I can see a lot of uses for this.

Please post your feedback and comments on the blog post, so we can keep the conversation all in one place. Your login from the forums works there too.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 13:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

This is so I'll stop emailing him with temp questions, isn't it?

3. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 13:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to get our shipment up here in Canada. I think this product will provide reassurance with every single dryer and PackTite load. Ken Hando

4. JRA79

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 21:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

David James never sleeps. He seems to have his blackberry attached to his arm and answers questions with deft speed, even though he is not in my time zone.

Can the therma-spots be re-used? I watched the video and it didn't say. Once they turn black, is that it, or do they turn white when they are cool again?

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 21:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The color change is permanent

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 21:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

David James is animatronic. That's a great question. Maybe post it on the blog?

7. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 8:09:54
    #

Login to Send PM

They are permanent and can't be reused. This way if you use one in a dryer load or inside a book in a packtite, you won't lose the indicator once the heat is turned off and the items cool. We played with some that were reversible and you for a lot of uses you had to be quick to catch the correct temp before it would fade back from cooling. With Thermaspots, you can run a load of clothes in the dryer with one stuck to a pair of pants and check the Thermaspot hours after the dryer is turned off and still get the info you need. We figured people may want to use them in their house as well if they are getting a thermal treatment, and this way they could hide them in places and check them the next day even. And yes I do sleep, but with my blackberry duct taped to my arm :).

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 14:26:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I have some question about placement:

1. In a book, would it be in the center of a page in the middle of a book?
    2. For thick running shoes, would it be almost to the toe? Where is the cool spot on a running shoe? maybe it's near the tongue
    3. For a purse, I assume inside
    4. For dress shoes, inside the shoe?
    5. For a big down coat, I leave it hang on the hanger in a packtite closet. Is it ok to put this on the arm inside the coat. I was thinking the best place is the pocket. Hoping they are easy to remove..
    6. My pillows are encased, people always say they are hard to run through a dryer and get the heat through. What is the best way to handle a pillow?

If I understand right, it shoes that the temperature got to 120 degrees but not for how long it was at 120? In theory, the BBs and eggs should die pretty quickly at 120?

Thanks, David James! And please tell A&S that you invented this for me and not her! Really, some people!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  9. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 15:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

1. yep
    2. down near toe for most shoes
    3,4 yep
    5 like the arm idea
    6 if encased the bed bugs can only be on the outside

right, it just shows that you got to that temp. For use in the packtite, i think the best use is to give people piece of mind in items like books mostly as you can use the included thermometer for all the items on your list and with books as well. They aren't necessary for the packtites as each unit comes with a thermometer. I really like the thermaspots for checking dryer loads as these temps can't be measured easily with standard thermometers and for hiding in items during whole house thermal treatments as spot checks.

10. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 15:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I really like the dryer idea, too. I'll probably use it for a few books in my packtite closet. I tend to run it for 3 hours,...although I've read you need 7 to kill the eggs, but my packtite closet seems to get a lot of items over 140.

11. mindoverbbs

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 18:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice invention!

Next can we please get that big, bright, mad scientist brain of yours working on a rock-solid, reliable transducer for detection? Something to quash the crippling uncertainty once and for all?

Once you nail that critical piece we could build all sorts of wearable sensors or cool augmented reality solutions on top of it for PCOs, consumers, and business owners.

Pretty please??

12. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 8:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Theyareouttahere - not sure I understand your comment about needing seven hours to kill eggs? At 120 f an hour is a conservative time frame. At 125, 30 minutes.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 9:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 1 day ago  » 
    I really like the dryer idea, too. I'll probably use it for a few books in my packtite closet. I tend to run it for 3 hours,...although I've read you need 7 to kill the eggs, but my packtite closet seems to get a lot of items over 140.

It may help if you could let us know where you read this so we can contact them and correct the information. Lets face it there is no test you need to pass before writing a website so its best to look at the experience and reasons for writing it along with the content, Billy Bob the Bug guy may be be using the latest information sources in putting together his website.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 12:02:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I may be confused with this information:

http://www.sternenvironmental.com/blog/2011/11/18/thermal-heat-treatment-will-kill-bed-bugs-and-their-eggs-part-2-of-2/

7 hours at 113 F

I actually think I read it when I bought a product, before the packtite, that recommends that its product is used for 8 hours. I just checked its website and it now recommends 8 hours so that the heat will permeate. Since I didn't screen capture the original comment and it was over a year ago (and I can't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday), my guess is I was confused.

Hint for David Cain: You are gagged from discussing this product last time I saw discussed on here. I tend not to discuss the product because I really didn't try it for more than a couple of months when I decided to go with the more tested packtite product.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 23 2012 12:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Hint for David Cain: You are gagged from discussing this product last time I saw discussed on here. I tend not to discuss the product because I really didn't try it for more than a couple of months when I decided to go with the more tested packtite product.

LOL that one, well I think the only way to get the one they sent me to work is to strap it to a rocket and shoot it at the sun with a one-way ticket.

I think my guess at Billy Bob the Bug guy was doing a dis-service to red necks and would certainly give Billy Bob a fighting chance of being the new head of entomology at Rutgers University even if he did football coaching on the side.

David

16. ThermStrk

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 15:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, that last one even made me smile a bit.

It's worth noting that ThermalStrike products no longer just advise the 8 hours treatment. We had a lot of people calling and saying that there temperatures were exceeding 122 in under eight hours and asking if they if the cycle was done. Now we provide a digital thermometer and recommend the guidelines setout in the National Pest Management Association - Bed Bug Best Practices for Thermal Treatment.

http://www.bedbugbmps.org/best-practices

Since the launch of the Expedition last year, there has not been a single review that has indicated the system not reaching temperatures.

Mike - manufacturer of ThermalStrike Systems

17. btaggart

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 16:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

i Have used the thermal strike product myself and recomended it to clients and never had a problem with it.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 16:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

btaggart - 16 minutes ago  » 
    i Have used the thermal strike product myself and recomended it to clients and never had a problem with it.

Thanks Brian I won my bet.

David

19. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 17:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, since I started this by teasing Mr. Cain about his gag order...

I think it's ok to discuss this product for just a bit under the thread and sorry I digressed. One of the nice things about thermaspot is you could test other products (bugg zapp oven, thermalstrike, thermal heat, the insect inferno truck, the dryer at a laundry mat), but putting these in the other products.

P.S. In all fairness to the product, I'm pretty sure I was one of the early purchasers. When the product was updated, I received great customer service. I ended up getting a packtite closet and even the regular packtite looks like a VW beetle next to a Tesla when comparing it to the packtite closet. So, I have no basis to discuss other products.

Let's get back on the thermaspot discussion

20. ThermStrk

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 18:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for getting us back on track. The nicest thing about the concept is that it's such a "yes" or "no" indication that temperatures have been reached and it can be used with everything out there.

Last year at the show, we were handing out our custom reversible and irreversible stickers. We use the reversible sticker on the front of our unit as an indicator to let users know that the ThermalStrike unit is operating (yellow bed bug pops out when outside wall temperatures are hot). The irreversible were for the same purpose as the Thermaspot.

Mike - Manufacturer of ThermalStrike

21. ThermStrk

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 17:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thermal Dot Stickers are now available [website deleted]. Same function without the brand name prices.

Mike - ThermalStrike

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 18:09:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Mike,

Fancy sending some for testing?

One of the main reason consumers are brand loyal is that good brands are built on quality and originality. Some of the knock off things that are being dredged up and sold to consumers is shameful. You don't make money but just putting something on sale with a bedbug sticker on it and hoping it works.

David

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 21:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Mike,
    Your post was edited-- you can mention a new product exists but can't use the forums for advertising where to buy it. The site is supported by ads so advertising is an option.

However, with new products we like to get some independent data or feedback first if possible.

Please read the rules which apply to pros and product suppliers.

24. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 0:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm disappointed. Not by thermalspot, but by vendors that don't read the rules who have been on the site for a while. I understand, to a small extent, when a new PCO comes on and doesn't read the FAQs. When I say understand, I would probably not use a PCO that isn't detail oriented. It's disrespectful when in someone else's "place" not to read their rules. I make mistakes here and there, but...

I was more disappointed by the person who opened 7 new accounts to rave about a steamer: this is just a little disappointed.

25. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 3:54:28
    #

Login to Send PM

My last post was a little harsh when I reread some of the vendor in questions comments. A similar product was already in use with his product. I still think reading the site FAQs is important. Or, at least the PCO/vendor sticky.

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 12:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 11 hours ago  » 
    I'm disappointed. Not by thermalspot, but by vendors that don't read the rules who have been on the site for a while. I understand, to a small extent, when a new PCO comes on and doesn't read the FAQs.

There's a lot of stuff on the website and people often need to be directed to the relevant parts, so I don't blame anyone for not seeing the relevant post right away.
    I would not hold this against Mike at all.

I was more disappointed by the person who opened 7 new accounts to rave about a steamer: this is just a little disappointed.

That kind of thing happens all the time and you're right, it is not in the same ballpark-- it's a different kind of thing altogether. Most times you don't see or hear anything about it, but a good chunk of my time is spent keeping spammers off the forums. I usually don't respond but in that case could not resist.

(Sorry to go off-topic a bit but I did want to respond.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,337 posts in 50,176 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14