Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

"Thermal treatment or White Wing steamer after one year?", asks toledo.

(3 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 11:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Son got three bites again last night. This is after 1 thermal and 5 (that's five) chemical treatments. I am so sick of this! They've got to be hiding on his headboard, footboard, or bed frame. Climb-ups aren't catching anything and my mattress and boxspring protectors are in good shape. Unfortunately, his bed is made up slats, so there are all kinds of places to hide. Should I get a steamer or try heat treatment in his room? My past heat treatment was in daughter's bedroom. She no longer has them.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 13:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you write out a log of the number of bites and on what days as a diary. I may be able to give you some indication of how many bedbugs there may be and that might help you make that judgement call.

Heat is a good solution if you know the source is not a regular contact issue as when done correctly with a convection based system it should work well.

Chemical can also be immediately effective if enough time and care is taken over the job and the person knows a lot about bedbugs.

I would not overtly worry on the type of bed. I actually prefer slatted wooden beds because you can take them apart fully and inspect thoroughly. I have been known to have a good luck, kill a single bedbug and then tell the person exactly how many times they were bitten (its an odd parlour game but it helps them to understand why I don't feel that chemical treatment is necessary at this stage). When you put it back together seal and varnish all the slats apart from the top one and this is where you monitor. Its part of the Zen concept of limiting bedbugs to certain locations so they are easier to detect.

If you think its low level then its always worth a good inspection as you deep clean, just check the FAQ's for advise on what to do with the cleaner bag after etc.

If the bed has items under it seal them up in pallet wrap so you can deal with them you have time. Once sealed its safe so long as the seal remains, deal with it when you are not in the heat of the moment.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 14:16:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The bed doesn't complety come apart. Here's a similar bed, but his footboard is more like his headboard: http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-98048-.htm?utm_medium=cse

I believe it's a mild infestation. Here's the approximate "bite diary" and "treatment diary":

4/28 woke up with two bites on shoulder, one on elbow

3/25 chemical treatment

3/11 chemical treatment

2/25 chemical treatment

2/18 woke up with two sets of three bites on arms

November two chemical treatments, of the four bedrooms on second floor, after finding bloodstains on sheets and bed bug in climb-up in another bedroom

August thermal treatment in daughter's bedroom

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,273 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl