Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Thermal Treatment experience

(12 posts)
  1. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 21:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday we had our thermal treatment. The overall day went really well.

Our home is about 850 SF, two bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, and a small office. four closets and a laundry room. It the top floor of a three floor, triple decker. We are attached to the building next door as well. I am lucky in that i have some awesome neighbors who let us use their driveway for some of the equipment to access the house.

They arrived early in the morning and we did a walk through of the house and I caught a few items that I had missed in my prep work. In addition to the prep recommended by Pure Heat, we took out our Wii, Wii Fit, and those remotes, all photo albums, and some other crafting items. I also took out a bunch of lotions. All of this was put into ziploc bags with mothballs and is now stored in the basement.

They took the temperature up to or above 140 degrees for around 5 hours, longer than the recommended 2 hours. It was still 118 degrees when I got home from work and the heaters were off. I would have liked to have been able to come home and check out the process during the day, but unfortunately circumstances did not allow for that for me.

We got home and immediately put all of the clothing and shoes we were wearing into a hot wash and hot hot dryer. We showered and then went out to dinner. We could have opened the windows at that point and let the place cool down, but we didn't, figuring we'd hang out in shorts and tank tops when we got home. It was 35 degrees out and it was still over 100 degrees in many rooms we we came home around 9pm, maybe 4 hours after the heat was off.

A few things were really hot to the touch, mainly the ceramic tile flooring and the granite counter tops in our kitchen. The floor was very hot on my bare feet.

So far we have not noticed any real damage to anything, a large projection tv, hd tdvr, tivo, laptops, ipods, a blackberry, and digital cameras were all in the unit. Furniture, including some pretty inexpensive stuff from IKEA, is just fine. The provider was incredible about keeping an eye out for things I might have forgotten or not realized, inclusive of some pictures from my honeymoon that were in plastic frames. A door frame warped just a bit, but it was a skinny piece of wood added later and not really well attached, it was really easily fixed.

I slept in my summer PJs and did not notice any new bites. I say notice because towards the end I had gotten so many on my legs it is pretty hard to tell if any new ones might be close to those old ones. I'm photographing it though so hopefully as those clear up it will be clearer. Tonight I am sitting on the sofa, where we experienced a good amount of bites, and feel a little creepy crawly and itchy, sometimes like there are bugs crawling on me, but it is very likely paranoia in my head at this point.

As it is only 24 hours post treatment, I'll keep updating on our status as we move forward in our battle.

We're praying its over and will continue to do so.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 23:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Eatingmealive,

Thanks for your report!

Feel free to say where you are and the name of the company/website if you like.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Bugologist

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 9:40:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the only issue with damage I've run into, as long as people follow the recommendations, is the stick of deodorant forgotten about in a dresser drawer or the candle in the cabinet that nobody expects to have a candle.

Nothing like coming home and pulling a shirt out of the dresser that now is coated with liquified deodorant.

Most people are ok with it though. A small price to pay to get rid of bed bugs.

4. DieBBS

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 9:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Could a home owner get a couple torpedo heaters and do this themselves?

5. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 10:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

NO!

Not only are you likely to fail, you could actually kill someone or burn down the structure you are heating. Thermal is not a do it yourself process!

6. DieBBS

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 10:24:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course not!!!!!! UGHHHHHHHH...so frustrated that their is NOTHING a homeowner can do. These damn things are the work of the devil! I just don't get how people who are on a fixed income are supposed to deal with this!

Would the OP be willing to post what the cost of THIS treatment is?

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 10:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting, eatingmealive. It's been very helpful to hear your story. Very interesting and I wish you the best.

8. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 10:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

eatingmealive, I am so happy for you! thanks for keeping us all updated.

9. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 20:44:04
    #

Login to Send PM

We will all be watching your posts. We had our thermal treatment two weeks ago, but still noticing mystery bits. No other signs such as blood. They have offered to come back and I may take them up on it if the mystery bites continue after a few more days. I have high hopes for this treatment, it is so clean and effective and non-toxic. Please keep us posted frequently. I better go update my post about my own treatment. Good Luck!!

10. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 22:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Well a quick update. Two things, one big and one that makes me think we are paranoid.

1.) I am certain I got bitten the 2nd morning after the treatment. right between my point and middle finger. I woke up abuot 6:30am and that area was intensely itchy. It was a big red welt. The swelling went down through the day and it is now little red dot with a hole next to that.

2.) We feel so itchy on our sofa and like they are on our legs. My husband especially. This is making him think that we are crazy. I am still just so itchy all the time. I think I am scratching myself and making red bumps appear. I don't know.

11. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 22:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Eatingmealive. I just wanted to add a bit of my experience after we had our vikane treatment last year.
    I cannot say anything about your #1 issue. I don't know what that could be. Of course it could be any insect bite as well as a bed bug bite.

But for your #2 statement I have to say that we went through that for months after our fumigation. I think it was due to going through such a traumatic experience, physical and mental nerves are very very elevated and it takes a long time (for us it took a few months) for that phantom, crazy itchy and crawling sensation to go away. It was soo bad for me and felt like I had invisible bugs crawling and nipping on me various times of the day, all day, every day. It helped ALOT to get out as much as possible and clear my mind. That and, well compulsive cleaning helped me a lot too. (still have that one, but at least it's back to the compulsive cleaning that I did before we had bed bugs)
    To this day, over a year later I still every so often "feel" something on me or am itchy in a certain area. But the those sensations are no where near what they were before.
    I do know this..things don't just go back to normal overnight. (mentally, and physically too) It's from (imo) all that added prolonged stress you've been through. To this day, every bump I get, scratch I have, the first thing I think of is examining it and seeing if it may be a bed bug bite. (but for me that's a big difference from "oh, here's a bite, on me, it's from a bed bug.)
    For me the only choice I have to be vigilant when I can be and I check my entire bed area once a month. That's all I can do.
    If you are a severe reactor to the bites, then of course you know if you've been bitten. I would imagine those phantom sensations would/could be there as well.

Well, I hope that helps a bit. Stay vigilant and hopefully this is the end for you. If God forbid it's not, there can't be many survivors and you can most definitely can nip it in the bud. Best.

12. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2008 20:46:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Well we are now 10 days post treatment. I am fairly certain we're still being bitten. We had a few days there at the end of the week where I did not have any new bites and the old ones were clearing up, but sitting in our overstuffed chair today I got quite itchy and had some welts show up on my ankle and leg, and an odd one on my thumb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver