Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Thermal treatment efficiency (Single treatment enough?)

(5 posts)
  1. sfbedbug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 16:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All

I discovered an infestation (fairly small, but considerable) in my place and got it treated with heat (they brought a lot of big heaters and heated the place).

What is the efficiency of this process. Can I expect all bbs to be dead or should I expect to get it treated again. What is your experience. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 18:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If done properly and if you are not subjected to reinfestation, thermal should work in one treatment.

I had a bed bug infestation for several months before I figured out what was going on in mid June 2008. I had my one bedroom apartment treated with thermal once, and the bugs were gone.

With multi-unit buildings, it's generally a good idea to inspect all adjacent units to make sure that you won't get reinfested. That, or improperly done treatment, are pretty much the main reasons that thermal doesn't work in one treatment.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 19:30:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I met the president of a thermal company at a bedbug conference. He said that if done properly, thermal can get rid of all bedbugs and eggs in one treatment. He said that is a huge advantage to hotels that can put a room that has been thermally treated right back into the rooms-to-let pool and start making money on the room immediately.

If there is another source of bedbugs coming into your unit (such as from elsewhere in the building as bugyinsocal says, or maybe from a member of your house who travels frequently or is exposed to them at work or from a place they visit regularly)--well then it might LOOK like the thermal treatment didn't work, but the problem lies elsewhere.

4. sfbedbug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2009 3:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

That gives me peace of mind. The guys who treated the place also said that it should be gone in one treatment. I am just hoping that I don't ever see a fuxxng bb again in my life. We have enough shxt to deal with besides these fuxxing bbs.

5. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 0:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, I would take everything that the PCO says with a grain of salt and a heavy dose of skepticism when it comes to thermal treatments.

The key phrase that everyone repeats is "if properly done." Yes, I do believe that thermal can absolutely be effective the first time if it is properly done.

However, if the treatment is not done properly -- your technicians don't have enough experience, your location in your building is not ideal for access for the tunnels and the propane heaters, your technicians just plain do sloppy work -- the treatment will be an abject failure.

There are plenty of people on these forums with great experience with thermal. BuggyInSoCal is one of them. But some of us have had horrific experiences with thermal and have later been forced to pursue alternative treatment plans because of bad business practices (i.e., Precision Environmental's complete failure to rid our studio apartment and cars of bed bugs)... it all depends on your technicians.

My advice would be to gain as much experience as you can with the thermal process through these forums, reading PCO industry magazines, etc., and then ask questions, questions and more questions of your thermal company and their technicians. Arming yourself with the knowledge that your PCO is suppose to have is really the only way to ensure any success in this process.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111