Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

thermal questions

(15 posts)
  1. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 21:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, couple questions, I contacted a thermal co in Massachusetts, They charge $1.00 per square ft and give 30 day guarantee. Does this sound right? Also, anybody have experience with thermal and art. Ie. oil and watercolor paintings?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 23:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. The guarantee is a good sign. I wish I could help on the art work items, but I really don't know. I'm trying to imagine these items being stuck in a vehicle for 4-5 hrs in a vehicle that's in a sunny parking lot in Florida heat. My worry wouldn't be so much on the water color if the heat is dry heat. My worry would be for the oil paintings.
    I'm sure you may have done this already, but have you asked this question to the company that may be performing the heat treatment? Are they using ThermaPure Heat, Temp Air? If the company you are thinking about hiring cannot answer your question, then maybe contacting the manufacturer of the product being used? I think there are professionals that are experienced with heat treatments here on the forums. Hopefully they will be able to help you with this question. If not, I hope this info was able to at least lead you in the right direction.

3. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 0:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Those rates sound about right.
    Most art that is important to the client we suggest be removed from the unit being treated.

The warranty is right in the middle of where our warranties run so it sounds about right. If you want to se some pictures of thermal treatment jobs have a look at our fan page on facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Chilliwack-BC/Baked-Bed-Bugs/120044190555?ref=ts

Best of Luck!
    Tony Canevaro

4. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 11:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, just having you respond makes me feel better. I'm that desperate. and they are using Therma Pure heat. Does that make a difference? They were here this morning. The person I met with said he didn't think art would be a prob but then he handed me a sheet of paper that explains the prep work and it said to remove art work. I'm concerned about the wood frames and BB. But don't want to ruin my art.....I've thrown away almost everything else!! and the piano is also a concern for us.

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 12:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Therma Pure is the, erm, the PCOs know the terminology for it, licenser? licensee? for the company I used.

The items that I removed from my apartment which were DVDs. CDs, VHS tapes (I got rid of a lot of those, but there were a few I kept) and a few other items, including art (small pieces with more sentimental than actual value) I put in large rubbermaid bins sealed very thoroughly with duct tape, and stored those outside for 8 months. For the last few weeks of those eight months, I tossed some DDVP strips into the bins. I brought those items back into the apartment about two weeks ago, and so far, no signs of reinfestation.

To be fair, it's pretty warm where I live, and bed bugs can't survive as long at warmer temps.

I also think I had the most freakishly isolated and unintrenched bed bug infestation in history. I recently finally finished a major cleaning/overhaul/reoganization/rearrangement of my bedroom I expected to find old bed bug traces in scary spots. And I found bupkis.

The only signs of bed bugs that I found before and after treatment were: on my sheets on the bed, on one curtain that touched the bed, on one stack of clean sheets sitting on the edge of of the bed.

There was nothing (in the way of old hatched eggs or fecal traces) on the mattress or box spring, the bed frame, the walls around the bed.

There might have been signs in a backpack of emergency items that was next to the dresser.

That's it.

Which is a long way of saying, I'm not sure about how infested the apartment was to begin with, so I'm not sure how many bugs were in those items, which came from the living room mostly.

I can tell you this: if I was at all worried about the art surviving the thermal treatment, I would store it outside, offsite. Unless you make your living as an artist, you could put those items, sealed up of course, into storage for a year or a year and a half.

The damage I had from thermal was really unpredictable, and almost none of what I lost was stuff they warned me about. The stuff they warned me about that I didn't get out because I didn't see it all came through fine.

Probably when the PCO said he didn't think it would be a problem, he was telling you what he had seen in previous treatments himself. I got the sense that the whole remove the following items was all about them having to warn clients about items that clients might sue for later if they were damaged.

Hope some of that helps you make decisions. I don't have a piano, and my only musical instrument is still at my mom's place because I didn't want to move it to dry southern California, so I don't have any experience with that.

6. reepicheep

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 7 2009 21:50:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had 2 unsuccessful thermal treatments to our house. If there are things that are important to you and may be sensitive, like the paintings, I would recommend removing them. We have a 25 yr old inexpensive piano that was present during our treatments. After each treatment, it was horribly out of tune for days, but it seemed to improve over time. It probably sounds about the same now as it did before the treatments, though I can't say I paid much attention to changes in the tune. If it was a very expensive piano, I honestly don't know what I would do.

Regarding the guarantee, be sure you understand what defines success. Will they come back to treat again and again if you are only getting bites but see no bugs? If they require evidence of a bug, you may or may not find one in 30 days. I would make sure you get the terms of the guarantee in writing.

Also, pay close attention to how long they've been in the thermal business. If you do a search on this website you will find a number of postings about damage done to customer's property by newer, inexperienced thermal providers. If your thermal provider has a lot of experience, and you have a clear understanding of the guarantee, it's a good option. We paid $3300 for 2800sf including basement, but they also had to drive 3 hours to get to our house.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 2:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

reepicheep - 4 hours ago  » 
    Regarding the guarantee, be sure you understand what defines success. Will they come back to treat again and again if you are only getting bites but see no bugs? If they require evidence of a bug, you may or may not find one in 30 days. I would make sure you get the terms of the guarantee in writing.

This does seem important.

For those who do not react to bites, a bed bug dog is probably a good idea (and you'd want to make sure a dog alert would satisfy the company as "proof" also.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 15:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, all very good points. I have been so crazed that I am forgetting to think correctly and ask the right questions. I do know that they have not been doing this for long but being in Mass I'm not sure I have a choice. I'll google some other co and see if they will come to Mass. What do folks think about using Viakane on art work?

9. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 16:21:27
    #

Login to Send PM

buggela - 30 minutes ago  » 
    What do folks think about using Viakane on art work?

Talk to some art folks but out here, supposedly, a museum gets stuff Vikaned to eliminate wood boring beetles with no ill effect.

I had some, precious to me, instruments Vikaned and they did not suffer at all.

Jim

10. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 16:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I have two items of artwork at home. One being an oil painting on canvas and the other pastel work. They both held up perfectly during the structural fumigation last year. The one oil painting was originally hung above our bed so I can assume it was infested. Held up perfectly and is in our hallway now.

11. reepicheep

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 20:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If it wasn't drastically more expensive, I'd choose Vikane over thermal in a heartbeat, assuming an experienced provider.

12. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 21:37:22
    #

Login to Send PM

VIAKNE!!!!!!!!! Please look up my post about the damage I received to my home from my second thermal treatment. That was the week after Christmas, and it appears that it was sucessful, so far. Not claiming any kind of victory yet. After that treatment, however, my sis got two bites on the sofa which we ended up burning two weeks ago. No problems since. The cost of the treatment was a little less than $3,000, but my home is a mess. I just got the estimate to repair the woodwork, caulk, wallpaper, drywall cracks to the tune of $6,000. Then there is the matter of the furniture that I have not received an estimate on yet. Xtreme Resolution out of West Chester Ohio did mine using ThermaPure. They claim they will pay for it, but two emails to them have gone unanswered so far. If you can't afford Vikane, choose your thermal provider very carefully, too bad BakedBugs can't come to al of our homes! PM me if you use thermal and I can give you a list of tips that I wish I had used.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 23:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 7 hours ago  » 

buggela - 30 minutes ago  » 
    What do folks think about using Viakane on art work?

Talk to some art folks but out here, supposedly, a museum gets stuff Vikaned to eliminate wood boring beetles with no ill effect.
    I had some, precious to me, instruments Vikaned and they did not suffer at all.
    Jim

If something is really a precious work of art, or an expensive instrument, Lou Sorkin has said anoxic fumigation is a good option. They use it in museums.

This thread gives you a lead on a provider.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2009 0:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

In response to aballen's post, I have to note that there have been bad experiences with Vikane TM also. You can read about those on the forums (click vikane above).

It's always important to choose your service provider carefully, and neither Vikane NOR thermal are 100% safe or effective UNLESS done correctly by an experienced firm. References are probably always a good idea.

15. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2009 0:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, don't bring me into this aballen! I've wrecked my share of stuff too. I has been a long time, but it has happened.

Depending on the value of the art work, a careful inspection of the piece with a magnifying glass and a prudent application of rubbing alcohol should take care of anything on the art.

Tony Canevaro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW