Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Thermal heat tomorrow but I am scared

(9 posts)
  1. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 26 2012 13:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Four tanks are sitting outside my parents house today, ready for the thermal heat tomorrow morning.

But I have to say I'm really scared the problem will continue, because my dad has so many model airplanes worth thousands of dollars that he had to move outside today because the heat would ruin them.

The canine last week was brought all over the house and did not hit on anything but the bedroom and livingroom, floor 1. My dad has a workshop in the basement, where those planes are kept and where he works in daily.

We know the bed bugs came in a piece of new furniture, probably infested from the delivery truck. So my parents brought the bugs on their clothes into the beds, so in my mind there's always the possibility dad brought some down to the basement, even though the dog did not hit there at all, and maybe one could be in one of his planes.

I will never be able to enter their house or sit down there after this, and they are 82 and I am their caretaker. Dad has a serious heart condition and mom can't walk anymore. I don't know what I am going to do.

I know there are success stories with the thermal heat, but I'm still scared.

Tomorrow I have to go over there, point out all the hazardous materials to the workers so they can carry it outside, strip my parents beds (shudder), take down their vinyl shower curtains, place all their cosmetics in the bath tub, remove all the batteries from the remote controls, change into freshly laudered clothes, leave my other clothes there, then take the dog to the groomers so be bathed just in case she is harboring any of them on her. Then I have to go to work.

Then I have to pick the dog up at noon and bring her to church where my parents are going to be camping out for the day. Then I have to go back to work. Then I have to leave work early to get back to my parents house to help put things back together.

I am not going to sleep for a long time. This is just awful. I feel sick.

2. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 26 2012 15:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Well one "good" thing - I have been logging published articles of successful bed bugs lawsuits against new furniture deliveries. Tomorrow I will video the heat process and video and take pictures of what they find under the chair - if dead bed bugs fall out and how many. I'm also going to take pictures of my mother's many bites tomorrow.

My parents are very kind and old school and will only want to get the cost compensated. I say their (and my) suffering from this awful, avoidable event should be worth other compensation. I've gone through hell thse past few weeks, and the bugs aren't even near me. It's torture to see your 82 year old mom covered in welts.

3. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 9:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I just came from the house. Parents forgot to remove batteries so I went around getting them out of the remotes. Phew it was a sauna in there. I talked extensively to the guys, asking them about the success rate for 1 heat treatment and to please be honest. He said 95% or so, depending on the clutter. He said my parents house wasn't bad on clutter and that the best thing we were doing was heating the entire basement also. Good thing my dad found his stash of fireworks in the basement corner last night....

I took a lot of pics for the lawsuit but weenie me was too scared to get close to the upturned mattresses. I didn't want to see them, I have had enough nightmares this past week. After I was done I stripped and left all my clothing and shoes there to be heated.

I have a dog coming to my house on Monday for reassurance that I didn't bring anything home with me. Amazing how such a tiny creature can wreak so much havoc, especially psychologically. I had a get a prescription for Valium to keep my calm during this.

I gave each of the guys a $20 tip so they could get lunch and I chatted with them giving them props for the job they do. They said they never worry about dragging anything home since they are in the heated areas most of the day.

4. goingcrazybb

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 10:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry your parents are going throught this. They are lucky to have you to help them through this. We have had a second heat treatment and I stil am getting bites. But I suspect we have them in our van. The pco is coming out tomorrow to look at the van along with the rest of the house.
    Did the company give you an post treatment tips?

5. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 10:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

goingcrazybb - 39 minutes ago  » 
    I am sorry your parents are going throught this. They are lucky to have you to help them through this. We have had a second heat treatment and I stil am getting bites. But I suspect we have them in our van. The pco is coming out tomorrow to look at the van along with the rest of the house.
    Did the company give you an post treatment tips?

Not yet. They will call me 1/2 before they are finished so I can be there when they are done. They will talk to me then about post treatment. I am going to get Protect-A-Bed Kits for the 2 beds, and ClimbUp interceptors for their bed legs and couch legs.

I'll post in this thread any instructions/tip they give me later today.

I'm sorry you still have them, I really am. I don't wish this on anyone in the world, ever. I asked the technicians today about my parents car, and they said it's not likely they transferred them to the car. I wasn't reassured, but what can you do?

It seems it will be many months before you can be assured they are gone, so there won't be a good night sleep until then.

6. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 19:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The heat treatment went well today. I was there for some of the time. I finally got up the nerver to go into my parents' bedroom, and there were all the signs - the long black marker-like stains in the box spring, the infestations in each corner where the box spring meets the metal frame.

They were all dead, and we found dead ones here and there throughout floor 1. So they spread more than you think - even if you don't see the in the kitchen, they were there.

They asked us not to vacuum for 5 days because they spread the D. earth around (can't spell that!) and they want it left down.

They said this and I thought it was really odd: "If you see any alive, they are the walking dead. They will die within a day or 2."

Now that does NOT sound right to me. What do you think?

They are coming back in 10 days with the dog again to do a re-check. Let's hope they got them all and that my mom and dad won't need a second treatment.

I have never been so tired in my life.

7. cinciNASTIbugs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 19:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

my heat treatment they said not to worry if i see any within 10 days of heat treatment...so hope that helps you feel a little better.

Maybe get some passive monitors for their bed and chairs so you can monitor and make sure the infestation is gone, that may make you feel better.

You can also do what i do for work when you go into their house:
    i take clothes in a ziplock bag to work and change my shoes as soon as i get in. At the end of the day i change into my ziplock bag clothes, change my shoes, and put my work clothes into a pillow case that i tie up.
    Then as soon as i get home, i put the pillowcase with clothes into the dryer. And start the routine again the next day - tiring, but worth the inconvenience to not bring home bed bugs.

I hope it's a success for your parents!

8. studiopeg1

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 6:41:03
    #

Login to Send PM

cinciNASTIbugs - 11 hours ago  » 
    my heat treatment they said not to worry if i see any within 10 days of heat treatment...so hope that helps you feel a little better.
    Maybe get some passive monitors for their bed and chairs so you can monitor and make sure the infestation is gone, that may make you feel better.
    You can also do what i do for work when you go into their house:
    i take clothes in a ziplock bag to work and change my shoes as soon as i get in. At the end of the day i change into my ziplock bag clothes, change my shoes, and put my work clothes into a pillow case that i tie up.
    Then as soon as I got home, I put the pillowcase with clothes into the dryer. And start the routine again the next day - tiring, but worth the inconvenience to not bring home bed bugs.
    I hope it's a success for your parents!

Sounds good. Yesterday after I was done in the morning, I left my clothes there to bake in the heat. Last night when I went back, I forgot to change back into those clothese and I wore my work clothes in the house, helping the technicians put everything back together.

When I got home, I stripped in the driveway, put all clothes in a plastic bag, left shoes outside, ran into the laundry room and threw the clothes into the dryer and threw the plastic bag outside on the lawn.

Dang those are good work shoes. But I'd rather be paranoid and throw them away.

What's bothering me is they don't want us to vacuum, and in each corner of my dad's bedframe is a pile of them. Leave them there for a few days??? Gahhhhhhhhh

As I was making his bed and taking his old sheets out, a dead one fell out. I can't believe how calm I stayed - I just wanted to scream. Took a valium when I got home at 8:00 but still had my usual nightmares and woke up with them at 3:00 a.m.

I can't wait for the dog to come to my house on Monday. Please oh please don't let that dog find anything!!!!!!

9. Alewandowski

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Aug 21 2013 13:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I am curious to know the end of your story!! Did the dog find anything? Your post really helped me because I have been going through hell. I got BB from another apt in my building. I had a failed chemical treatment and yesterday a heat treatment. I saw a huge BB this morning and freaked out but it did look very slow and half dead, yet it was so full of blood that when I tried to catch it with tape...it popped!! The dog is coming in tomorrow....so as you said please do not let this dog find anything...this is so hard it is stressing out my 9 year old!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs