THERE'S HOPE

(2 posts)
  1. bedbugsslc

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 11:41:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 2 years since my encounter with Bedbugs. I just wanted to share my story for anyone out there who needs some hope.
    I'm an amazingly anxious person (aka. a major freak-outer), OCD (afraid of germs), and I went a little crazy when I found out the cabin I stayed at for a weekend had been infested with bedbugs. Somone was bitten and had an allergic reaction right away or none of us may have known and been able to prevent them. Out of 20 or 30 people in the cabin I was one of two who had some of the little guys sneak home with me. We were told to take all of our things and throw away what we could (especially bedding). The rest was to be put in a hot dryer for 30 minutes. Being the over anxious person I am I went home and dipped everything I had with me in rubbing alcohol and left it all outside too afraid to bring it in. A month went by and I gathered my courage to go through the stuff again because i needed my cycling shorts. I thought I'd been careful, putting it all in the washer/ dryer. But then only when I came home from work and saw my roommate had put everything from the dryer on my bed did I get a sinking feeling this had been risky. I remembered my dryer really didn't get that hot and prayed there weren't bugs.

A few days later I had some bites on my neck and I just knew....
    I immediately set out doing crazy amounts of research, reading as much as I could. I stayed up all night cleaning, scrubbing every inch of my room ( I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyways). Everything I read said not to relocate to a couch or another room. They needed someone to feast on and would follow you.

I called the state dept and asked them so many questions they finally gave me the number of a professor who studied them at a state agriculture university. He finally had all the answers I was searching for. He said it was possible to hire a dog who could find them, but then if he found them I'd still need to treat my house. So he recommended treating my house first since I was within the first 24 hours of having noticed the bites and since I hadn't actually seen any (meaning hopefully my infestation was small). He recommended I not DIY it, but call in a professional.

I called a pest control company that had good reviews in the area. They were the company who treated many hospitals in the area and said their treatments were safer than a lot of other things out there. The guy came and inspected my room, he really couldn't find anything, but sprayed my bed and the rest of my apartment. He said if it's a small infestation they aren't always very easy to find.
    Despite that I set about washing all my clothes and cleaning everything I owned.

I continued to get bites for 2 or 3 days which from what I read was normal because sometimes it takes that long for bites to appear. After that they stopped. I'd continued to sleep in my room as a sacrifice so they'd stay in just my room and not go after my roommates; However, knowing you're about to be eaten by nasty bugs makes for a terrible night's sleep. I finally got some rest by putting a metal cot on top of my bed and rubbing Vaseline on the legs. I slept that way, but honestly I don't know that it was scientifically going to keep me from getting bitten.

I now take prevention seriously. When I stay in a hotel I search the bed area for signs (searching the mattress for stains, and all the surrounding furniture/bed frame with a credit card piece in the shape of a triangle. I run it along all the edges). I also will be investing in some of the little trays to put the legs of your bed in.

This was a terrifying experience. I empathize with you if you've gotten bed bugs. Not sleeping and the emotional toll of knowing they were in my room was exhausting. Just know there's hope.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 14:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad your problem is solved.

Note to others: getting treatment without a positive ID is not a good idea. Many people (some would say most people) who think they have bed bugs don't.

Where I live, in NY, I understand that pest control pros can't apply pesticides to treat without evidence of bed bugs. (Skin reactions don't count as evidence.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,898 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019