There is a Bed Bug Monitor

(39 posts)
  1. bedbugmaster

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 21:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

GREAT NEWS!!!!! There is a Bed Bug monitor coming out within 18-25 weeks. It is called SleepTight. This device will monitor the presence of bed bugs in commercial and residential properties. It will work at home, hotels, college dorms, nursing homes, apartment buildings, resorts, etc... Finally, peace of mind!!! Thank you for reading and be ready to SleepTight!

"SleepTight, Make sure the bed bugs DON'T bite!"

Sincerely,
    Bed Bug Master

2. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 23:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

How does it work? How effective is it? Will it detect a single bug or live egg? If so, where are the studies? Or even a link (googling SleepTight gets you lost right quick)

Why is it going to take 18-25 weeks (4.5 - 6.25 months)?

P.S. Am I the only one who's sick of the "don't let the bedbugs bite" references? Bedbugs are not a joke, why add insult to injury?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 0:24:01
    #

Login to Send PM

What are we talking, bugmaster? Aggregate pheromones? Glue traps? Give us a hint.

Anyway, when it comes out and if it works, we will be pleased.

For now, business as usual.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 2:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

"SleepTight, Make sure the bed bugs DON'T bite!"

This doesn't make any sense. A monitor, even if it does work, doesn't kill bugs. It notifies you of their presence, which is useful by itself. But we're all aware that knowing you've got them doesn't magically stop them from biting.

5. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 7:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I think someone is pulling our leg. If this was indeed true there would be an easy way to prove that BB's are in you place. I would think there would be something somewhere with info on this.

How would it detect said BB's.

There is a montitor out there but it is a baby monitor called "Sleep Tight" didn't see anything for a BB one.

It got use posting though didn't it?

6. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 7:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Intriguing..Would be nice. I've heard talk of this many times before but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
    It would be nice to have to ensure you stay bug free once you are bug free.
    Brings lots of questions. How does it work? What is the effectiveness? Then there is cost?
    If this comes to be we soon shall see I guess. But as Nobugs says, until then it's business as usual.

7. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 8:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If this were true myself, or other professionals on the site, would most likely have a hint of it. I know a few companies that will remain nameless that are trying and have some results but are struggling to get the final product.

I hope for this product as much as everyone else does but until we see some sort of press release with data behind it, remain very skeptical.

8. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 10:01:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If this is finally the long-awaited aggregate pheremone trap, what company is coming out with it? I want to buy stock in that company. Even if the device isn't 100% accurate amd comes up with false negatives (I don't see how it can come up with false positives if it is a trap), we still need it.

I can forsee every hotel room having one in it so that if a guest might sue that they were bitten by bedbugs, the hotel can claim that they had the traps out and no bedbugs were detected for "x many days" or whatever. I think students in dorms and tenants in multi-unit buildings should keep one in their room just as a matter of course, even if they don't have bedbugs. Even if you don't have bedbugs, you should monitor your place for them. Nearly everyone who ever had bedbugs will want to monitor forever.

Anyone have a link?

9. scaredandstressed

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 11:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If this is true all I can say is Hallelujah!!!

10. bedbugmaster

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 11:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone! I am very sorry that I can not give you more info about this now... Due to the contracts I have in place with the distributor and manufacturer I can not discuss any of the details. I assure you that it will be out soon and it will work. I can however tell you that it helps in the detection of bed bugs not elimation of bed bugs. A professional exterminator with the right inspection and techniques can only rid you totally of bed bugs. But however, since a person does not realize (normally) that they have bed bugs till about 6 months after they already have them... This will help detect them sooner and thus allow you to get rid of the problem (by calling a pest control company) before it becomes a wide spread infestation throughout your house/apt. This monitor will also catch a wide array of other insects that may look like bed bugs and bite like bed bugs such as spiders, misquitoes, flies, beeles, etc. Also, by having a sample of whatever insect pest is causing the problem allows the pest control company to properly identify and treat the correct areas.

Again, I am truly sorry that I can not tell you much further due to my restraints/contracts but it is the truth! I was just looking and studying my market research and saw this site... I then saw the problems and concerns you all were having and could not keep this great news to myself. I will let you know the second it comes to market so don't worry.
    Sincerely,
    Bed Bug Master

11. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 11:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Totally totally agree with Scaredand... I think that my bugs are all gone but not sure, and am going to hire a dog this month (just got our first one in the city, which is another plus for me)

If such a monitor existed, I would put one under my covers and not sleep that night, hoping to catch one or two, then I would know. Surely with all our technology and brain power someone can invent a trap with a CO2 cartridge and some heat to act as a 'trap" and monitor for all us folk who do not know where the harborages are.

You could put the little box in various places, turn it on. Out comes a steady stream of gas and a little heat (just the right amount.) Turn the heat down in the rooms, the starving little little guys are soon shouting: "Hey there's a human over there and it's warm, let's go." Now we need something to kill them..... maybe a piece of poisoned liver? Or use a timeclock, and at about 6 am or so, another cartrdige sends out a little bit of cynanide.

Oh I wish I were a researcher,, maybe an inventor; I would make millions overnight.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 11:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We've been hearing people were working on aggregate pheromone traps for over a year. It will be very useful once available and assuming it works.

13. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 11:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, LastMeal, you are not the only one who is tired of don't let the bedbugs bite.

But let's not give away our secrets.

Because the upshot is that it's a good index of who is a pro (or a sufferer) and who is completely new to the issues. For example, the best news articles gave it a rest quite a while ago.

14. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 15:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites44 there is already a "trap" like you speak of that emits heat and carbon dioxcide to attract insects. It was designed for mosquitoes though and use propane as an energy source.

Hence it would not be good for indoor use. I believe it also zaps the bugs once they are attracted to it. I'm not sure if anyone has considered using it with a power source that would not be harmful indoors.

bedbugmaster I truly hope there is something on the way that works like you say my own feelings on this is it is only the tip of the iceberg and that bed bugs are on the verge of exploding not just in NY but nation wide (ok world wide).

15. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 16:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have reason to suspect that this trap will be of a passive nature as the various pheromone and other attractants have yet to effectively pan out for a variety of reasons.

16. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 19:54:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmaster - okay, your second post was less hype and more plausible information. We all hope your monitor shows some useful level of effectiveness.

17. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 11 2008 10:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

We have known for nearly two years that the bed bug pheromones used for aggregation have been isolated.

These same pheromones have also been synthetically produced.

The trouble is that they are very volatile, and within populations of bed bugs this pheromone may be slightly different. This causes a problem for commercial use as a monitor.

To top all of this off there is a patent war going on to decide who has the rights to the pheromone. This means that the release of a commercially available product could still be months (and hopefully not years) away.

Since you are referring to the product by name (Sleep Tight) I can only assume you work for or are promoting Natureplex. They already have a product on the market by the name of Sleep Tight.

In fact this is the same company that I sent off a request to show me the scientific studies that their product did in fact work. The reply I got was less than professional and no data was ever provided.

Sincerely,

Sean.

18. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 11 2008 13:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I certainly hope that it's not from natureplex. After reading the bedbugresource post I checked out their site. It comes off like way to many others that assure you that it will take care of bed bugs.

I am skeptical of any site that has to put in bold print certain key phrases that are designed (someone makes a lot of money to figure that out) to get your adrenaline going and get you to order something from their site.

These sites seem to be designed to scrare you into buying the product.

Or is it just me that thinks this way?

Thank you for your post Sean.

19. bedbugmaster

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 11 2008 20:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again everyone,

I am excited to see everyone helping each other and everyones knowledge on bed bugs. I wanted to let everyone know that I do not work for Natureplex and you are right about them. I assure you that my product is not out yet, the trials that are being conducted are concluding it is working, and it is already patented. I wish I could say more but I can not at this time. Thank you for your feedback and please stop assuming.

20. DeathToBBs

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 23:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

There may be some merit to bedbugmaster's post. There is an article from Connecticut that says that bb traps are being used and they have collected hundreds of bed bugs.

I've tried to copy the link, but it's not working for some reason. It's called "Don't let the bbs bite, part 2."

21. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 19:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

DeathToBBs, I looked and found the article I think you mean here: http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7870121&nav=menu29_2_16

and the reference is to Dr. John Anderson of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station.

This trap then would seem to be a separate and as yet non-commercial effort. I hope many others are also experimenting with traps, even if they are passive traps.

22. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 20:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I was going to post about this separately, but here seems appropriate. WTNH had a 2-night special on the news about bedbugs that was actually pretty close to reality. They emphasized that anyone of any income can get bed bugs and that they may take months to get rid of. They featured Karl and Radar from K-9 Detectives and had a very short blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of an entomologist holding a trap prototype. It looked two big horns facing away from each other in a plastic tub. Sorry I don't have a screencap.

23. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 20:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like I was beaten to the punch twice, this is what I was talking about (the trap is about 2:00 in):
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/something-new-on-youtube?replies=2

It also looks like my description was a bit lacking, sorry for the erroneous description

24. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 20:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

It's funny that you two bring this up because last night I posted the clip on this from youtube.com. Here it is......

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

25. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 3:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I have been doing some extensive experiments with various bed bug monitors. The pheromone route is promising but not yet perfected. They are highly volatile and somewhat specific to populations. Both of these factors are hampering the development of a commercially available pheromone base monitor.

In the meantime I will let you all in on a little secret ...

Take a mouse glue board (sold by pest professionals) and place an activated hot shot (hand warmer) in the centre. There are several brands of hot shots out there and to my knowledge they all should work. These give off both heat and carbon dioxide.

These are NOT 100% effective in every case.

I have never had it not work in a badly infested area, but surely there is the possibility that it may not work in a light infestation.

Keep in mind that bed bugs feed about once per week. Hot shots last about 12 hours. This means that you may have to put one out every night for a week before catching anything. Obviously multiple locations increases your odds.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist / Pest Professional

26. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 8:25:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm running out to EMS and Home Depot and gonna catch me some BBs. Thanks Sean.

27. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 11:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Great tip, Sean - thanks so much! SBB - do you know that Home Depot carries glue traps? I just looked at their web site & couldn't find any, but the site doesn't list everything available in the stores... It would be interesting to experiment with leaving caught bbs in the trap compared to pristine traps to see if others are more or less apt to join them (possibly testing their habit of harboring in groups vs being repelled by danger pheromones).

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 14:48:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sean,
    This is excellent. Thanks!

29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 18:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

30. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 7:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi pleasehelp-

I did buy the rat sized glue traps yesterday at home depot.

31. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 8:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Did this last night. Caught a piece of lint. I think my traps are too small and my handwarmer too big. Gotta get a magnifying glass to identify lint.

32. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 10:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks SBB!

33. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 19:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugmaster glad to hear it's not natureplex that your waiting for.

Sean what a clever idea it's got my trying to create carbon dioxcide with baking soda & vinegar to lure them out under a red led light (a previous experiment on my part to catch them at one point) beat to all hell. All's I got was bitten when one sneaked up behind me on the bed while I waited for one to come out from the wall.

You don't even have to be home to try it!

34. Bugless

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 20:37:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Mouse glue traps are available in Ace hardware stores.

35. bedbugmaster

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 12:18:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again,

The heating pack on a glueboard is a good idea... What ever works. I actually know of some pest control companies that use gerbels in a cage surrounded by glueboards. What ever works right... Listen everyone, the best thing is a great inspection with a powerful flashlight! Bed bugs produce many droppings (a tar like substance) that is very visable to the eye. Spend your time and money on sealing up cracks and crevices throughout your home, baseboards, electrical outlets etc. and inspect them. Thoroughly! Make sure you wash all of your clothes (bag them first) and have a reputable pest control company treat your problem.
    A very good inspection is always your best bet! On the wall or non porous areas the droppings look like if you squeezed ink out of a pen and dabbed it on the wall. Like a raised period at the end of a sentence. And on the sheets and mattress it looks as if you took a sharpie marker tip and left it to bleed through. Sometimes the used protein (tar like substance) looks like a x or a cross.
    Hope this helps! Remember a good inspection, removing baseboards, checking picture frames, lamp shades, curtains, phones, clocks, headboards, etc... with a GOOD flashlight is the best thing you can do!
    Sincerely,

Bed Bug Master

36. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 12:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info, BBM...

[rest of message deleted because it was on another topic and pleasehelp also subsequently posted it in a new thread.]

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 14:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

BBM,
    We know about flashlights and caulking. But thanks for the suggestions. I encourage you to read other parts of this website (like the FAQs) and participate in other discussions besides this one about traps.

38. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 19:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes but that's not part of the marketing plan.

39. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 23:52:26
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL Winston.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991