Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Their Side, My Side, and the Truth

(15 posts)
  1. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 2 2017 15:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello to all of the Bedbugger's out there!

I've been visiting this site since last year (August 2016) and it has seriously saved me from myself in so many ways, as well as making me one informed gal on the topic of bedbugs so I felt I owed it an update on my past and present situation.

Part 1: My story starts with a purchase of a new mattress and box spring from a reputable company here in Chicago, it was time for a new set and I was so excited about the wonderful slumber I was going to have on an entirely new bed, and I did, for about 2 weeks, then the bites started...

A couple on my arm, on my neck, on my back, and they itched. Badly. It was summer in Chicago and as most Chicagoan's do, we sit outside every possible minute available to us on a nice day because our summer's are over in the inside of 3 months, but there's no place like this City on an 80 degree day with nothing but sun and a cold frothy brew! So with that comes bites from critters like mosquito's and fleas and chiggers and spiders so initially I blamed one of those creatures and my reluctance to go indoors long after the sun went down.

Then there I'm sitting one day, with this "bite" issue nagging at the back of mind, like my subconscious was tired of taking a back seat to my ignorance because it had the answer, I just needed to turn the volume up! I'm sitting there, flipping through Facebook, and then I find myself typing into the Google search engine: Bed bugs. Then it all became very real, very suddenly. My heart sank with every line I read, every picture I saw, it was the longest darn walk to my bedroom, one I'll never forget, because everything changed in that moment...

Peeling back the blankets, and sheets and mattress pad covers, etc. Nothing. Not a spot or mark. Take the mattress off, inspect every square inch of the top and sides of it, flip it over, nothing, nada. Remove my box spring from the frame, inspect every inch, flip it over, look at the bottom, nothing, nada, check the frame in every crack, screw and corner.. I was just about to put the box spring back in the frame when my subconscious spoke up yet again, it whispered "take the dust cover off of the bottom of the box spring". I did, and there they were, a couple of them, hanging out looking utterly surprised that I had found them on my first try, they're used to being overlooked.

DEFCON 1, it's time to go nuclear, everyone get the hell out of my way!

I located one of the best PCO's in my City I could find, Yelp was a great help in that regard, the people that commented there were dead on, these guys knew their enemy well, and took no mercy on them. They heat treat, freeze, spray and dust. They inspected my room and found no other dwellers in my bed or surrounding area, confirmed that what I found were bed bugs and said that because they were both of the same life cycle/stage, it is very likely that these were the only culprits to have been brought in. Which lead them to ask, did I know the source? I saw red. Crimson, scary lava, red. All sound went silent. --The mattress delivery truck.-- I'll spare everyone the profanity that spewed from this realization, but, after googling the company that handled the sale and delivery of my NEW mattress and box spring, it appeared that I wasn't the only victim of these hitchhikers. There were active lawsuits against them. Ugh.

Once the possible source had been identified, and the rest of my home was checked, very thoroughly I might add, these guys went to work. They provided a play-by-play of what they are going to do, how, and with what. They brought and installed encasement's for my mattress and box spring, put climb-up interceptors under my bed legs and moved it away from the walls, isolating it. They steamed/heat treated all of my furniture in addition to cryonite and dusted every inch of my bed, every screw hole, slats and joint available, put dust inside the covers as well, and did the same to all other furniture, the walls, baseboards, electrical outlets and light switches.

I was told to wash and dry all of my bedding on high heat, which they bagged up for me and told me they would be back in two weeks, at which time they will inspect my entire home again, retreat and will also want to inspect the adjacent unit upstairs from me, so they can offer me the 90 day guarantee. Done. They came back as planned, couldn't find a thing, but still did the preventative (and included) treatment again, went upstairs to thoroughly inspect and found it to be clear and said that if I see anything within the 90 days, they will come back as many times as necessary to resolve the issue, which they don't believe I will be having. I didn't. Never saw another bug, never had another bite...until about 6 months later...

Part 2: These weird red dots started showing up again, not as big, not as itchy, but what looked like bites again all the same. The worry kicked back in again, the checking started again, not being able to find anything that could point to why these were showing up, the frustration and obsession of trying to find the reasons took over my every waking thought. The creepy crawly sensations started up every time I laid in bed or sat on the couch, my sleep was dwindling away hour by hour each night, my anxiety started to peak. So I went to see my dermatologist who did a skin scraping to see if the bites were actually bites and it came back with an over population of demodex mites! What the, what?! Another bug, living on me now, seriously?? She calmed me down and explained to me that most humans have these in their pours, at normal levels they don't cause issues, but that they can proliferate from immune systems being compromised and she asked if I had been under any stress lately? The laugh that rumbled out of me had to be heard 8 doors down! I had never been more relieved to learn that I had a permanent mite squatter holing up in my pores, man, it felt like Christmas. The stuff bed bugs do to people, right?!

Moral of the story, and like so many experts have said here: Follow the signs. If you don't see any (fecal stains, cast skins, live or dead bugs), count yourself lucky and move on. I look at bed bugs like I do the flu epidemic every year when it comes to take hold of the masses, if you enlist the right preventative measures/precautions to protect yourself, you can dodge that bullet entirely.

Thank you for providing a space that offers such fantastic knowledge, logic and insight into something that has so many confusing contradictions perpetuated by misinformed people. I'll forever use the info I've found here and will most certainly pay it forward.

Cheers from Chi!

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 2 2017 16:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Your story teaches an important point. I hope you continue to be blissfully bug free!

3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 11:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

HI,
    Glad you got a rid of the bed bugs. I'm also in Chicago. Who is your PCO?
    Thanks.

4. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 12:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! It feels great getting back to a "new" normal.

I used Eco Tech, they're on Cicero in Chicago on the NW side. They were absolutely wonderful. No stone was left unturned, they are very clear about their methodology and they were really knowledgeable overall. They handle many other pests, but most of their business is vanquishing bed bugs since they're on the rise here.

They're on Yelp, look them up, my problem was solved within 2 treatments and they inspected my neighboring unit for no additional charge. They give a 90 day guarantee too and will come back as many times as needed in that time-frame to take care of the problem. The owner Jim is a good dude. He personally called me to answer my questions and responded to my emails within 30 minutes.

Best of luck in getting rid of these horrid pests, please let me know how it goes!

5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 12:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Did they help you treat all your stuff? Did you get the chemical or the green treatment? Did you move your box spring, etc. by yourself?

6. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 12:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

They took apart my bed entirely, frame and and slats and treated all of that with heat and then put powder in all the screw holes and other nooks and crannies, they encased my mattress and box spring and put dust in both encasement's. They heat treated all of my furniture, they turned it all upside and inspected and treated the bottom and inside the couches and chair with dust. They bagged all of my bedding and told me to wash it in hot and dry. They also heat treated all baseboards and dusted and sprayed them. All of it being chemicals, to specifically answer your question.

They said that bagging my clothes in the closets or removing my clothes from the dressers wasn't necessary as they believed my infestation to be extremely light based on their inspection.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Some PCO's make you bag up everything you own before they'll even treat your space. I was relieved that I didn't have to go that far.

7. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 12:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I missed your last question, they handled all movement and treatment of the bed and furniture, I didn't have to lift or a move a thing. All they ask is that nothing block their access to what needs to be treated, as in clutter and whatnot.

When I initially found the nasty bug squatters on my box spring, yes, I lifted that thing on my own. I don't know how I managed it, but I did. I think I was running on pure adarenline and fear at that point, I completely bruised myself everywhere so I don't recommend it without a little help.

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 12:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

That's amazing. How big a bed do you have (single, queen, etc.). I would like to do that but have a queen and can't figure out how to. How long between when you first got bitten until you realized you had bed bugs?

9. grimthebreaker

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 13:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to see. I have been tearing my house apart for the last week becuase I had a small tear in my bed encasement from my fat labs paws. I find no bites, no fecal stains, and no live bugs or dead ones in any of the passive monitors in over a year and a half yet im still paranoid. Recently we got hit by harvey and i walk around outside to let my lab out with no shirt on. I also scratch myself in my sleep so at this point its anything but most likely not bed bugs. I will probably purchase a new encasement on my next check though. just to be on the safe side, I didn't even think about the stress currently I lose my mind when im stressed.

10. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 13:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a queen sized bed. The folks at Eco Tech will do an inspection like that for you. They did for me.

I believe that the introduction was from a new mattress and box spring I got delivered, within that 2 weeks I started to notice very itchy bites mostly appearing on my face, arms and neck, the areas that were the most exposed, and blood on my sheets along with fecal matter, which had never occurred before that. I'm pretty anal about my bedding, I wash it weekly and have light color sheets so not much got by me, even before bed bugs. By the end of that 2 week period of getting consistently bit, and seeing the marks on my sheets, I went looking for the why, I found it on my first try, once I took the dust cover off of the back of the box spring. There they were the 2 of them, hanging out together in the upper corner, looking very innocent of the crimes they were accused of. Then they died. Ha.

I never saw anymore after that or after treatment (dead or alive). No nymphs, no adults, no droppings, no nothing. Thank goodness. The bites ceased after that. Now I'm just trying to get back to living a normal life again and letting going of the anxiety of it all. It really messed up my sleep.

Best of luck to you!

11. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 13:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Grimthebreaker!

Yep, after a year and a half I'd say its okay to let go of all of those old scary bed bug ghosts. My anxiety caused me to see and feel things sometime that weren't legit. It's that whole fight or flight thing that gets you in hyper-aware mode. It's no way to live I tell ya.

You can easily throw a new encasement right over the other one that had a blow out due to fat doggy paws.

So sorry to hear that you suffered the impact of Hurricane Harvey, hoping things get back to normal for all of you in that area very soon!

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 14:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hifromchii,
    I sent you Private Message (PM)'s in your mailbox.

13. Markitude

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 16 2017 14:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious what kind of heat treatment they used. Steam?

14. HifromChi

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 19 2017 15:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Markitude, yes, they used steam.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 6:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your success story! Congratulations!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82