The Vaseline Method

(14 posts)
  1. Patience

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 20:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Its going to be so hard to keep the kitty cats out of the room but I guess we'll have to do it. This move has been traumatic for them already (we just bought this house) and one of our poor cats is already taking antidepressants to help him adjust. Argh these stupid bugs!!!

I guess if the vaseline and DE don't work I don't know what I'll do. I caulked the baseboards in the baby's room tonight but still didn't put down the DE becuase there just wasn't time. I am really quite resistant to using harsh pesticides in his room.

What do other people with babies do?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 20:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Steam is good, patience. Repeated steam applications, with dry vapor steam if possible, followed by light and careful dustings in crevices can be quite effective, I hear. Some professionals will do it and it's common where there's an infant, for example; though it is possible to do yourself if you are careful and do research.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 22:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Just chiming in on what I've learned about crib mattresses in our experience...

"The crib mattress has a vinyl cover." When you say this, are you speaking of the cover the crib mattress itself is made with?

If so, make sure you check around the sides of the crib mattress. Our crib mattresses were also vinyl but around the 6 inch width part had an overlap of the vinyl material. Well low and behold that overlap isn't stitched from the manufacturer and I was able to stick my whole arm straight into the mattress itself. When going to BabiesrUs to get replacement mattresses I found many crib mattresses were made this way. (scary thought) I had to actually check each model in the store personally to ensure that the brand I chose had that flap sewn shut from the factory. Plus, many crib mattresses have these little vent holes on the sides as well. That's another concern.

What we did was purchase bed bug proof covers for our crib mattresses. Protect a Bed sells them now as well. Very nice and they have mini cable ties to ensure they aren't opened by a child. They didn't have them advertised on their website but I called then and they do in fact have them. Well worth it for the precaution and peace of mind, imo. (I had 3 children under 3yrs old when going thru our infestation and learned a lot the hard way due to lack of info out there)
    If your crib mattress has this side flap sewn shut and no little vents on the side maybe all is okay. I must say though, having that protector on our mattresses makes inspection much easier and gives me peace of mind.

4. almostdying

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 22:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep i put the legs in bowls with sticky tape on the outside for double protection. But that didn't work. I was pretty frustrated when I kept on getting bit despite these barriers I created. I just hired a company who will steam, and apply dust on the crevice (the method nobugs mentioned above) or do heat treatments depending on which I prefer. The company said they have successfully treated bedbugs with both methods. I finally feel like there is hope! Thinking back, I shouldn't have tried to self treat after the first PCO came, but I wanted to save money, but all that caused was emotional stress and misery. Now I just want to get rid of it at any cost!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 23:00:07
    #

Login to Send PM

paulaw0919 - 54 minutes ago  » 
    What we did was purchase bed bug proof covers for our crib mattresses. Protect a Bed sells them now as well. Very nice and they have mini cable ties to ensure they aren't opened by a child. They didn't have them advertised on their website...

Protect-a-bed DOES now have them on the website. They totally redid it and you can now get their entire range of products. You can start via the protect-a-bed link on the main forums page and then click "Crib Protector" on the right and be sure to choose the Allerzip Crib Protector which bed bug entry/exit and bite proof.

6. bugbattler

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 10:04:55
    #

Login to Send PM

"....one of our poor cats is already taking antidepressants to help him adjust."

There are anitdepressants for cats!?

I'm not sure I understand the vaseline deal. Is it just that's is too slippery for them to walk on? Do they sink into it like bed-bug quick-sand? Wouldn't you have to slather your whole house w/ the stuff end to end for this to work?

My advice would be to talk to a PCO. Ask about the chemicals they use, research those chemicals independantly so that you can find an effective/ practical solution that you trust. Thermal treatments (if available in your area) are a non-chemical treatment option which have been studied for effectivness against bbs.

Here is a material safety data sheet for petrolium jelly (vaseline). Not to be the parade-rainer, but I'm not sure we should be slathering this stuff all over our homes.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Petrolatum_white-9927388

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 14:02:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bugbattler - 3 hours ago  » 
    I'm not sure I understand the vaseline deal. Is it just that's is too slippery for them to walk on? Do they sink into it like bed-bug quick-sand? Wouldn't you have to slather your whole house w/ the stuff end to end for this to work?

That's one of my concerns.

8. bitten123

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 14:34:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with Bugbattler, at the least talk to a PCO. You probably have such a very small infestation, that quick treatment could elminate them for good. I'm afraid vaseline is just going to prolong the problem and let them explode.

I am very anti chemical, organic, etc etc...I was a no chemicals in my house type person until bed bugs, and then I changed my tune, embracing the chemicals as my friends in this war. I completely understand your fears and concerns, and if you can go non chemical that is great (Heat or Cryone Freezing Treatments) but at least talk to some professionals.

9. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 15:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest that you look into either of the following:

1 An investigational pest controller or entomologist who is willing to literally finger tip search your property and find them, it is possible, I have done it a few times in light infestations but it is not easy and may take hours.

2 Look at non chemical treatment solutions, heat and steam would be good places to look.

The biggest problem you will have is finding either with enough experience of bed bug infestations to deal with it appropriately. Light infestations can be some of the most frustrating to deal with as they can take a while to get visible results partly because with only a few in the property you do not see regular activity.

I would however say that bites alone do not equal bed bugs and at this stage you suspect its bed bugs but without evidence you cannot be certain. If you don’t want to use chemicals use your eyes, look for the signs, look for the samples. If you do find any you have the added bonus of killing it and knowing its one less.

With regards the use of Vaseline, I tend to only see people who have applied it to the legs of the bed as a barrier. In such cases I explain to them that I can’t treat with it in place and it takes a lot of effort to remove without strong solvents such as benzene and that I would rather come back when it is removed so i can do a proper job the first time round.

If I turned up at a property with Vaseline applied to such a wide surface area I suspect that I would not extend the offer to return when it was removed.

I sincerely hope that anyone reading this thread reads this far and understands that this is really not a good idea at all. As you will see from the MSDS posted earlier it is not meant to be used in significant quantities in areas where human can be exposed.

Good luck removing it.

David

there is no one correct way to get rid of bed bugs, we all have to develop our own plan of action that works for us

10. bugbattler

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 15:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

BB

Why can't you treat if vaseline is there?

Thanks

11. helpmeplease

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 16:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

paulaw0919 - 18 hours ago  » 
    "The crib mattress has a vinyl cover." When you say this, are you speaking of the cover the crib mattress itself is made with?
    If so, make sure you check around the sides of the crib mattress. Our crib mattresses were also vinyl but around the 6 inch width part had an overlap of the vinyl material.

Hi and sorry to divert the attention from vaseline to vinyl covers for mattresses. Is it true that you can use any vinyl cover as long as it's sealed? I bought one that is supposed to be heavy grade vinyl and I plan to tape every seam. Will that be sufficient? The package didn't say that it was specifically for bed bugs.

Also, the double sided tape - if that is wrapped around the legs of the bed will that help, or is that a fruitless endeavor?

Finally - the legs in mineral oil? or water? Which is better and does this drown the little suckers?

I too have an early infestation, only detected by a dead bug on the floor (no bites as far as I know - it's my daughter's bed). THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE VASELINE!!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 17:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

helpmeplease - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Hi and sorry to divert the attention from vaseline to vinyl covers for mattresses. Is it true that you can use any vinyl cover as long as it's sealed? I bought one that is supposed to be heavy grade vinyl and I plan to tape every seam. Will that be sufficient? The package didn't say that it was specifically for bed bugs.

Even some items labeled for bed bugs are not sufficient to keep them out. Nymphs are tiny (1/32 inch) and I suspect they can get through even the seams and zippers of many vinyl encasements.

It is more expensive to get one designed for bed bugs. Some manufacturers like protect-a-bed can claim their encasements are bed bug bite, exit and entry proof if used as directed. They can say this because entomologists have tested them.

Other reputable models which have been tested include Mattress Safe (which seems to be harder to find) and National Allergy Elegance (though the NA Elegance encasement requires taping of the zipper-- for this reason I prefer Protect-a-bed).

Remember also that all encasements must be used with care to avoid ripping. (Sharp frame edges must be taped, etc.)

If you want to know more about encasements and tests, see: http://bedbugger.com/encasements

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 5:07:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bugbattler - 12 hours ago  » 
    BB
    Why can't you treat if vaseline is there?
    Thanks

Hi,

Vaseline is oil based and therefore interferes with the application of a water based insecticide product.

The problem is more of a time issue, do I spend twenty minutes cleaning it off and that may be twenty minutes per bed in the house or do I leave them to do it and come back another day.

I am not a fan of the isolationist methods for the removal of Bed Bugs preferring direct action instead.

David

there is no one correct way to get rid of bed bugs, we all have to develop our own plan of action that works for us

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  14. bugbattler

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 10:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

That makes sense - thank you.

I hadn't considered how difficult removal of the stuff would be. Youre totally right though. Occasionally when my son was an infant I would use this stuff & it was messy. Heaven forbid it touched anything, it would leave oily stains.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo