Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

The Unthinkable Has Happened [a: bat bug misdiagnosed by PCOs]

(56 posts)
  1. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 22:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello - I have posted on here many times and have an extreme BB neurosis after staying in a hotel over a year ago that had them. Well, after a year of thinking I had them, but never finding any evidence of bugs I finally started to feel better.

But now, my HELL is here. My wife took my son to Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos about 3 days ago (I did not go). Tonight when I returned she caught this on the bed - undoubtedly a BB.

Someone please help me with next steps, I am about 3 seconds away from a complete breakdown.

We are bagging everything - going in the dryer some stuff outside... my worst nightmare has come true. I know it's late but PLEASE someone give me next steps.

I have passive monitors on all beds and one sofa and they are all clear.

Here are pics:

http://postimg.org/image/xv4z6n8bz/

http://postimg.org/image/y4dg0x8px/

http://postimg.org/image/myp8smadj/

2. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 22:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

What I think i really need is a recommendation of good PCO for this my area among all the other advice I can get - i read through the FAQ's and I will stop bagging for now. I can barely breathe, this is so horrible...

3. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 22:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there!

Not an expert but you certainly have my sympathy.

I feel really bad for anyone that gets these but especially the ones that get really anxious about it (I'm the same way.) certainly my sympathy goes out to you.

The good news is: you must have caught it VERY early.

Here's my suggestions, coming from an anxious type:

Take precautions so you don't spread them. Even though you must have so little there's really like no chance you could have by now. But to ease your mind from that, I would say take precautions when leaving your home (drying clothes on hot and keeping sealed in plastic bags.) that was and is my biggest fear.

I'm not saying you could even spread them at this point bit just to keep your mind at ease!

Remember they don't spread disease and from my experience the psychological toll is the worst. It sounds like you've been trough this too.

Please try to remember-- you caught this really early!!!

4. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 22:47:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also since you caught it so early im hoping and praying this'll be really easy for you to get rid. Please don't let the big fears take over like "what if they've infested my whole house!!" It's going to be okay! <3 I do feel for you though!!

5. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 22:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to thank you very much for your reply - I actually got choked up. I do fear they are in my entire house, and that I will never get rid of them, ever. I can't help it.

I feel like my next step is getting the right PCO and hopefully a recommendation from the experts or a seasoned user. Hell, at this point, I would fly David over here or go pick up Lou...

Please someone help with a recommendation - I can PM with someone if needed...

6. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 0:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Aww you're a sweetie!! I just got choked up too haha!
    When I first discovered I had bed bugs, I wanted to fly David out here too!!!

7. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 0:31:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand about the fears, I went through the same thing and still unfortunately battle with it. But I'm confident that you caught them early and God has your back!!

8. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 0:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

So did you get rid of them and how? I could use a tactical and happy-ending story; because even though I am in bed (per the FAQ's) there is no way i am sleeping...

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 0:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Why don't you PM Paul Bello. He's a PCO consultant and posts here under P Bello and may know someone in your area. Good luck.

Richard

10. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans:
    are you in NY or NJ ?
    I sent you PM check it out.

11. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the PM's, I am in Northeastern PA just outside of Philadelphia. I will try some of those resources. Thx again

12. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:26:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Alright well I've never told my whole story but here goes!!
    When I first found out I had bed bugs I FLIPPED. Fortunately I did a lot of research and found this forum before doing much though so I didn't use any foggers, etc!
    By the grace of God, I actually never had to get a PCO. Thank God because I am broke!
    Well, I came across an article online by an entomologist that seemed to "bear witness" if you will.
    It said if you caught it early enough, you may just have to isolate bed, declutter, deep clean, etc.
    I don't want it to seem like I'm giving advice as I'm not a pro and what worked for me may not be the same case in someone else's! I was blessed though!

But... I isolated my bed with climb up interceptors, laundered and dried all bedding and pillows on high heat multiple times, vacuumed throughly, completely decluttered,
    purchased bed bug proof mattress and boxspring encasements. wrapped headboard, picture that was over my bed, and some wooden items that were under my bed in plastic and stored in garage. (Also sprayed headboard with bed bug spray before wrapping and cleaned bed frame with rubbing alcohol.) (I would've thrown away my headboard but my grandparents wanted to keep it haha.)
    I also inspected all my furniture, closets etc. and kept clothes that I would wear out of the house in plastic bags cuz I was TRIPPING that I would spread em!
    I paid for an inspection cuz I couldn't (and still can't) shake the feeling that they're gone. He said he found nothing live (PRAISE GOD.)
    I eventually dried ALL my clothes including the ones in closet but that wasn't for a while after!!
    I then got ANOTHER inspection cuz I thought I found fecal and cast skins in my nightstand. That one was free (and worthless lol) BUT...
    The good news is I have a passive monitor & climb up interceptors and haven't seen ANYTHING since then, and that was in January!!
    I'm still dealing with the anxiety but I've looked at all other rooms and.. Nothing.
    Praise report!!!

13. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I also steam cleaned my carpets and sprayed bed bug spray only in one small corner of room where there's a gap in the wall that I was nervous about because I think some may have been harboring near there as I found fecal on a cardboard filing box I used to have (I threw that out!)

14. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Great story, thank you and amazing that you were able to accomplish that w/o a PCO. Thank you so much for sharing.

i do have another tactical question, how should i approach handling my two cars? Do I have them heat treated?

15. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you seen this
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget#post-217040
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget
    mean while its something you can try untill you get a hold of a PCO, being the weekend ya know.
    check out the signs I found , its why I can't sleep tonight.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/130852066@N05/sets/72157652289033531

16. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 1:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO will advise you on the vehicles, I know some use monitors to check for activity & others use DDVP strips , some use spray residuals.. you can make a DIY monitor untill you get with the PCO.
    I would think since you found it so quickly your risk is low..

17. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 2:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

My god this is terrible. I am so anxious my hands are numb. I feel so bad for my wife, she feels it is her fault, and she's pregnant. Horrific.

18. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 2:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't feel bad..see my lamp shade its after 4 months :-).. I thought they were gone & the room was closed up so its not as bad as it seems.

You caught it very fast & that maybe the only one ( its a good chance its a lone hitchhiker)..
    Tell your wife life has to be lived because they could have been picked up any place, public office waiting chairs just never know who has what that passes before you right?
    You will be ok , they are bugs ya just have to think like them, they have basic needs & habits & that will be the key..Monitor & relax, we are all here for each other

19. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 2:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for those kind words. Thank you. I am going to approach this as a war and not let anxiety cloud my decision making. I have messages out to some of the pco's that were recommended.

20. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 3:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have reached out to the 3 PCO's via email and I will call tomorrow. I will continue reading as much as I can, obviously from the timestamp, no sleep tonight.

21. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 3:19:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you plan to order bedbug tool items you may not know that if you use the links here on the website it gives the site a small donation at no extra cost to you,They don't advertise that fact here or promote it that often , but its all voluntary so I do because the site is an awesome place of help & info by a lot of really good people. A lot of pro's from all over pop in here an donate time too.

22. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 3:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, if I can buy from these links I will for sure, thx for the info.

23. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 3:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, since you caught it so early that is really good!!

24. bedbugtakeover

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 6:48:09
    #

Login to Send PM

That really angers me. There was just a huge write up and all over the news not too long ago. Apparently people have been complaining about certain rooms having bed bugs for years at the great wolf lodge. It is terrible that even with all the bad press they did not resolve their issues and are still allowing guest to take home unwanted souvenirs. Good luck!

25. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 15:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

OK. Let's all calm down, get a grip and take control of the situation.

NOT to be blasphemous here but, it is said: The Lord helps those who help themselves !

Seriously, you can pray all you like but I'm fairly certain that doing so is not going to result in the mortality of one bed bug. But, of course, I could be wrong. (Hey, ya never know . . .)

In any case, you now have a great pest pro to call and I'm sure you'll be OK.

Remember, we can kill bed bugs yes! But, head bugs, not so much !

BUT, let me get this straight, you HAD passive monitors in place but found a live bed bug and those monitor things were clear?

Is that correct?

Hmmm . . .

What is the warranty on those things?

Are they guaranteed to work?

Good luck ! pjb

26. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 17:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you got hooked up with a good PCO, or at least on your way. There's always the temptation to do more, but sometimes that can be counter productive and actually spread the infestation. In fact, some PCO's would rather you do little or no prep, especially before they arrive. I won't tell you to relax, because easier said than done, but take some solace having found some pros to work with. That, and catching this thing early, will undoubtedly spell success.

Richard

27. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 2 2015 23:40:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sooooo sorry this happened to you, Byanymeans. I know how high your anxiety was since your previous exposure, and this totally sucks.

I wanted to give you a word of encouragement. I had bb's for 3 months without realizing it (got them from neighboring apartment). My landlord hired a PCO I didn't totally trust but had to go with. I followed his instructions (heat treated all fabrics and decluttered apartment) and had no complications. The infestation was only in the bedroom, even after having them for three months and sleeping on the couch, wearing same clothes in the bed and couch, etc. After the first spray, I never had any more bites and 7 months later they are still gone. It really isn't that bad when you have a pco (even one that seems crappy lol) and even those who have to DIY it can be rid of them. For me, once we started treatment I felt a lot better and had hope. I still worry they will come back (haven't found a place to move that seems better than the present apartment), but so far so good.

You can do this! I know those first days feel so terrible, but it will absolutely get better. At least you found it early, it is probably the lightest infestation possible and should be very easy to treat.

28. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 11:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone -

First off, wow, once again this forum shows that it is immensely helpful and supportive I can't thank you enough.

I know others have done this but I need to take a moment to callout Paul Bello and his unwavering support (both tactical and emotional). His expertise has me on a path to eradicating this quickly and effectively... in short, a godsend.

***Update***

Well although yesterday was a lot of cleaning. washing, drying, vacuuming , bagging, the REAL issue came when I took my vac outside to clean it. I only used our regular house vac to do the laundry room, I did not do any carpeting with it and not in the bedroom at all. I washed it all out with the hose, sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol and left it in the grass/sun to dry. About 45 minutes later I go to get it and I notice very small bugs in the filter, then on the canister, then all over the vacuum. They were crawling so far that they were already across the driveway and in some other objects we had in the driveway. At this point.... I snapped. How could we have tons of baby bed bugs in the vac from either that quick laundry room clean, or from some previous exposure and we NOT have any other signs in the house (or bites)? It made no sense to me, knowing that we are covered in these things, I quickly drove my son to a relatives home (with clothes that i ran through dryer in a bag and changed him out side). I drive home in tears... how?... how?... how? This makes no SENSE!

Well, on the way back home, some aforementioned expert notifies me that these are NOT bedbugs in the vacuum but rather something that came from the lawn and crawled on it. I nearly drove off the road - hysterical again, but this time with massive relief. Here is a picture of the bugs outside on the vac - you should be able to zoom in well. To the lay person, tell me these don't look like baby BB's??!! My god, what a horrific experience:

http://postimg.org/image/v1kme2y7f/

Anyway, back to reality - I have a superb recommendation on a PCO and he and I talked for about an hour and 1/2 yesterday. He is coming Monday (tomorrow) and referred to this situation (if it is indeed fully accurate via my assessment) as, "child's play". He made me feel much better but of course I have trouble seeing it that way.

Tactical Notes:

> We did bag things but everything we bag we will wash and run through dryer post-treatment.

> We did vacuum but with shop vac that had high micron bag and filter meant to catch particles smaller than drywall dust. This was cleared with an expert. For any of you thinking I should not have vacuumed, there was NO WAY that I was going to convince my wife of that... instant divorce.

> The bed, box springs and monitors are clean at this point, so I am still very hopeful this is early and relatively contained.

> The bug we found is ziplocked and jarred and today will be sitting in the hot sun to hopefully perish.

Final Note:

I know this is a lot to read and many of you have your own, bigger issues to worry about, but it feels really good to write this out and hopefully I will continue to have good news.

Thank you all again, immensely.

29. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 11:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats Awesome to hear..Good luck & bless you . wishing you a bb free life

30. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 11:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Byany,

I know you fought your bed bug anxiety for over a year. . . and it is horrible that you now have them. I am very glad your PCO is making you feel better regarding your treatment.

Please try to keep in mind that experienced and good bed bug PCOs have the knowledge and know-how of how to eradicate them for you (and it sounds like you have an excellent PCO), so let them take care of and handle it for you . . . as it certainly sounds like they know what they're doing! (Child's Play! LOVE IT!!! . . . and that should absolutely make you feel better!!)

Also, think of all the knowledge you now have on what to do and not to do regarding bed bugs! Knowledge is power over them and you have the knowledge! . . . Keep telling yourself, People get bed bugs, people get rid of bed bugs!!!

And once you are rid of these pests . . . don't forget to check your hotel rooms in the future and take precautions upon arriving home!

Good luck and keep us posted! I feel confident we will be hearing YOUR "Success Story" in no time at all!!!!

Hugs
    Abs

(P.S., I told you Paul Bello would help you!)

31. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 11:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking, I was actually waiting to hear from you because you have been so kind to me in the past thank you.

I am going to start another thread ontrying to ID these bugs I am finding outside just because I am curious - thanks again!

32. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 21:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans -  » 
    AbsolutelyFreaking, I was actually waiting to hear from you because you have been so kind to me in the past thank you.
    I am going to start another thread ontrying to ID these bugs I am finding outside just because I am curious - thanks again!

Byanymeans, I asked around to a couple of PCOs to see if they could ID your pest for you. I didn't get a 100% definitive answer.

I would suggest PMing Lou Sorkin (loubugs) with a link to you ID thread and ask him if he would mind taking a look for you.

In addition, you might ask him also that if he can't ID 100% based on the photos, if it would be ok if you mail him the pests for a definitive ID.

(P.S., try to get some sleep tonight!)

33. sleepyhead22

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 22:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Byanymeans,
    This is a small detail, but I read that you are planning on heat treating (or also washing) bagged items after treatment, but it was reassuring to me to get this done before the final treatment in the event that any got on me while putting things in the dryer. I know you already have some OCD over this, and I just want to make sure you don't have to be paranoid more than necessary after treatment. Plus, it feels really good to not have bags sitting around that need to be treated. Also, I had a lot of clothes that would not tolerate being washed and dried, so it was helpful to me (both in time and money) to only dry them. Hope that helps, good luck with the PCO!

34. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 22:56:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepyhead - awesome advice, thank you for the heads up on that one.

Absolutely Freaking - I have to admit that no one's ability to ID these things has me concerned. Now I do have word from an EXTREMELY reliable source that they are not but I know my pictures are not the best. To be honest, these things are so small that neither my camera or phone can get a clear closeup - even in the sunlight. If I had a rational mind I would know they are harmless lawn-dwelling bugs, but right now i am convinced they are something nefarious and maybe even BB's. I would love an ID. I will try PM'ing Lou - thank you.

35. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 5:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, didn't check posts that often over the weekend. Are you able to add more light and take a picture? Did you only find one so far?
    The little insects from the vacuum aren't bed bugs. And I think these or at least some of these are immatures of the insect you found in your house, but not 100% positive at this point.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  36. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou - I have the PCO coming today so will report back with his findings and also try to get better pix. I need to make an important distinction. All of the "mystery bugs" were found outside crawlng over vaccuum parts but then noticed them sort of all over the place on things - that was outside

INSIDE - we did find a bedbug that is now dead in the bag and that is why PCO is coming.

So when you say "And I think these or at least some of these are immatures of the insect you found in your house"... it makes it sound like they could be baby bed bugs - please confirm. Sorry for the confusion.

37. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

At this point I don't know if that single bug is really a bed bug. That's why I'd like to see a picture that is better illuminated. The smaller ones from the vacuum cleaner are not bed bugs, but some at least look like immature of the one you found inside. I noted in my previous post that the little bugs from the vacuum cleaner are not bed bugs so you must have misread my post.

38. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

byany: INSIDE - we did find a bedbug that is now dead in the bag and that is why PCO is coming.
    ------------
    I'm a little confused. Are you referring to the pictures you posted in the first post of this thread? If so, I think what Lou is saying is that he can't confirm it's a bed bug based on quality of photo, and that it may possibly be a bigger version of those little bugs which are not bed bugs.

So, let's then keep our fingers crossed that you don't have bed bugs at all.

Richard

39. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so Lou, the last thing I want to do is become a nuisance but this is critical.

The first bug you see has been confirmed a Bedbug by Paul and the PCO via that picture. Now, I of course value your opinion greatly but let's say for the sake of argument that that is true. I cannot get more pix of that bug at the moment but it is dead in a jar.

Now, the bugs on the vacuum and the bugs on the bag and metal lunchbox, to me are the same bugs with the same behaviors (what appears like jumping and extremely small).

So the thought that some of the bugs in the other outside pics (but not the vacuum) could be immature versions of the bug found inside, has rather insidious implications (for me). That is why I am trying to quadruple confirm... thanks/sorry.

40. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans:

I've sent you a "very important" PM!!!

Abs

41. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok what I got from lou's post on both threads, this is as fallows: this was inside the house & was ID as a bedbug.

Here are pics:
    http://postimg.org/image/xv4z6n8bz/

http://postimg.org/image/y4dg0x8px/

http://postimg.org/image/myp8smadj/

This was outside on the driveway & is not bedbug babies but immature versions of the bug close up you posted on the other thread to ID them.
    http://postimg.org/image/v1kme2y7f/

Now its all in one place maybe it will be made clear, hope it helps.

42. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 8:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

All right, here are some more pix (closer) of the bug found on our bed that ignited this insanity. Again, I admit my ignorance, but all signs (including 2 positive expert ID's) point BedBug here.

Lou, do you agree?:

http://postimg.org/image/k8wjjn843/

http://postimg.org/image/v5upa8yf3/

43. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 9:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou - don't kill me but would love your opinion before PCO arrives - please. He is coming in about 20 minutes...

44. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 9:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Much better lighting. Too bad it's in plastic. Yes a cimicid. The initial pictures looked like a bed bug, but only 99% certainty and some of the creatures from the vacuum cleaner looked like a true bug, but some looked like globular springtails. Just to check on your home, do you know if you have any nesting birds like swallows or roosting bats?

45. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 10:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, let's summarize:

1) You placed monitors to help "protect you" and provide early detection due to past experiences.

2) You found a bed bug after a recent trip but not in the monitors.

3) As per advice, you vacuumed.

4) You then placed the vacuum outdoors as part of the "render the vacuum bug free effort" deal.

5) You then saw multiple "jumping bugs" on the vac and, since you thought they were bed bugs, you decided to throw away the vacuum.

6) You posted several photos of these "on the vacuum bugs" and, despite that the one bug in your photo was "close enough" in shape to be a bedbug, upon further examination of a follow up photo, it was determined to be 100% NOT bed bugs.

7) The photo posted above is a decent photo of an actual cimicidae, most likely an actual bed bug.

You sought advice and a referral which was provided.

9) By time you read this, I expect that company contacted will be at your home (right now).

10) Since all of the above, you've continued to post questions and photos pretty much covering the same subjects.

Let me know if I'm missing anything here, cause I think I have it pretty straight.

As stated previously, you need to get a grip on the situation, stop obsessing about non-bed bugs and devote your attention and efforts toward the elimination of any bed bug issues in your home.

Best of luck in being able to prevent bed bugs from becoming head bugs and elimination of any that may have been able to sneak in there so far !

Know that you now have an excellent professional who will render your home bed bug free in short order.

Good luck and have a great bug free day and rest of your life ! ! ! pjb

46. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 10:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul -

Thank you and you're right on all fronts, but I am losing it a bit.

My poor wife is hysterical and 7 months pregnant i was up all night with her while she cried about how this is her fault. All I can think about is the intense stress this is putting on her and the baby and I know she is not going to feel comfortable for over a year of being clear (I have to say the same for myself).

I had a huge hive on my chest last night that swelled up and then disappeared after about 40 minutes... a bite?... or stress and not eating and drinking and working endless hours trying to clean up?... not sure. But I am really struggling and can't get to a good place yet, not today. I will continue to try and rely on the people that are so supportive and knowledgeable.

Sorry for the personal ranting.

47. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 10:56:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou: do you know if you have any nesting birds like swallows or roosting bats?
    ------------------

They think they may have picked up the bugs recently at Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos if that helps.

Richard

48. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 11:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

They think they may have picked up the bugs recently at Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos if that helps.
    I know. But just on the outside chance. There was no ventral view of the bug. It's just something weird about that bug. Yes, it's a cimicid, but only 99% sure it's a common bed bug. Not sure if it's the picture, but the legs look a little stout.

49. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 12:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

***Update***

PCO is here now. Full inspection of beds and furniture yielded no more bugs or signs of bugs.

He is treating the whole house - putting on encasements and walking me through everything.

I hate to curse things, but he said we are very lucky to have caught this so soon and to have known to talk to the experts. His team specializes in nothing but bed bugs.

I have this forum and the experts to thank for that knowledge and awareness.

I am intrigued by Lou being intrigued by this bug - I can happily send this guy to you Lou if you would care to have a look. Again I have seen bats fly into the eaves of our house - and we do have them fly all over this neighborhood at night.

50. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 13:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I am intrigued by Lou being intrigued by this bug - I can happily send this guy to you Lou if you would care to have a look. Again I have seen bats fly into the eaves of our house - and we do have them fly all over this neighborhood at night.
    Yes, I really would like to see it. If you have bat bugs, there is no reason to treat your house for bed bugs. I'd like to see the other things you found in the vacuum cleaner, too. I sent a PM earlier with my address.

51. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 13:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, before sending I will try to get way more detailed images including some from the side and beneath - I just don't want to touch it!

52. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 13:47:19
    #

Login to Send PM

One more note, the PCO looked at the bugs from the vacuum and bag - without me saying anything he said springtail... he didn't use "globular" but everyone that he touch jumped about 3"-4". I could see in his face that he was initially a bit confused by their roundish body similar to a BB but once he saw the hopping, he knew. I had a white undershirt on the ground too (outside) and they were on that. So there's that answer it seems. If I can catch one though, I will. These damn springtails have given me two freakouts in the past. When I first saw the elongated ones inside, I thought for sure we had a flea infestation because of the jumping and then with the globular version I was convinced there hundreds of baby bed bugs on my vacuum... ugh, enough.

53. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 4 2015 15:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, before sending I will try to get way more detailed images including some from the side and beneath - I just don't want to touch it!
    Please don't break it up by handling it. Parts are useful, but I want to see it in its entirety first.
    he didn't use "globular" but everyone that he touch jumped about 3"-4". I could see in his face that he was initially a bit confused by their roundish body similar to a BB but once he saw the hopping, he knew.
    It's really interesting that there are so many large, globular springtails. They're really interesting especially since I always run into the elongate ones. There are actually 2 families of globular springtails, but your's is the more common one. Roundish body really isn't similar to bed bugs, but now you know.
    When I first saw the elongated ones inside, I thought for sure we had a flea infestation because of the jumping and then with the globular version I was convinced there hundreds of baby bed bugs on my vacuum
    Superficial resemblance. You would have had to come across a large harborage of bed bugs to find so many small nymphs in one place. And you would have found lots of other bed bugs and their waste material, too. You would have seen dead ones and shed skins. Now that you know, you shouldn't overreact to finding lots of insects.

54. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 5 2015 0:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 14 hours ago  » 
    Let me know if I'm missing anything here, cause I think I have it pretty straight.
    As stated previously, you need to get a grip on the situation, stop obsessing about non-bed bugs and devote your attention and efforts toward the elimination of any bed bug issues in your home.

Paul,
    You may have missed where Lou wasn't 100% sure that the photos here were of a bed bug.

It sounds like the OP's situation is in good hands, but it appears the conversation was continuing after your contribution for a good reason.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  55. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2015 15:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I received the samples and as I suspected the cimicid bug is not a common bed bug, but is an eastern bat bug. So either the Great Wolf Lodge has a bat bug and bat problem and you brought the bug from there or you have a bat and bat bug issue and haven't realized it. Also, if there have been reports of bed bugs at the GWL, it could be true or there have been misidentifications of the cimicids that have been found in the rooms. Of course, there could be issues with 2 cimicid species and the pest management team has to treat for both bed bugs and bat bugs in certain places.

56. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2015 22:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou for your persistence!

Byanymeans,
    I really hope you got Lou's bat bug ID before having the PCO treat for bed bugs. It sounds like you did the prep.

This is a good example of why we place so much value on IDs around here (a question which came up this week), and of the fact that even if a PCO has told you you have a bed bug, You might instead have a closely related species.

Sometimes it's a closely related species and a closer look is needed to determine this. (In some cases when the ID is done in person, some who work for PCOs don't have experience doing such an ID either.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14