The time between ID and treatment

(4 posts)
  1. Bythesidewalk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 14 2014 23:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

We've been being bitten for a few weeks and got confirmation of bed bugs tonight - in the form of a few little ones found on the underside of the box spring.

So, my question is what now? We will be contacting our landlord tomorrow and hopefully getting treatment ASAP but what do we personally do at home between now and then? Some things say to wash and bag clothes and bedding.... Ok, we can do that but if you do that... What do you use as bedding on your bed. It's cold, I need a blanket! And how do I wear my clothes? Should I wash and bag? What else do I do or definitely not do?

Also, I have to take a trip home to visit my parents in a couple weeks. How do I make sure I don't spread bbs there? And also to my place of employment? I am a nanny so I work in another family's home.

2. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 7:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I dried all of my laundry to excess (washed, dried, once dry I dried it an additional 20-30 minutes) and then bagged straight out of the dryer. Picked up the clothing and bagged it immediately. I have a bag set aside for my clothing I wear, and I have just relegated myself to 3 outfits. Everything else is bagged.

As far as blankets, i'm in the same position. I don't use anything except a sheet and comforter. I took everything else off of my bed to the laundromat and washed/dried to excess, then bagged it and it is staying bagged. Fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket. That's all I have as I never use pillows anyways.

To ensure you take nothing in to other people's homes I would wash/dry them, bag, and then go from there to your parents or wherever. Vacuum your car thoroughly every week or so (that's what i'm doing) and that's all I got. I will look for more useful tips myself! I also go into people's homes daily.

Some people are pros, may say i'm excessive or it's not effective I am not sure. I am no expert, this is just what i've gathered from my own looking around so far. Hope it helps.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 11:19:14
    #

Login to Send PM

We have FAQs on how to avoid spreading bed bugs: http://bedbugger.com/faqs/travel

I understand misery is trying to help but would caution against following random forum user's ideas for what to do.

Get the pest control company in and if they give you a prep sheet, follow it. If they do not require you to launder things, don't. If they do, keep in mind clean dry items can be dried on hot ALONE and this will completely kill all bed bugs and eggs.

I understand the desire to be "really sure" but in most cases, people have enough work to do without making more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 11:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I was/am only trying to help...... and Nobugs is right, don't just follow whatever anyone blindly says. I'm sure there are a million ways to get into trouble that way. Lol. Thank you for the FAQ link as well, I did read through those. I can't afford the 'Packtite' product, I just use my dryer in lieu of, assuming it does the same thing for the most part?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie