Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

The question once again, stay N spray or go N pay?

(3 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 22:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ive been over this and over this. Again,

I started to look at other apartments in ny. Im terrified of bringing the pests with me, and the bulk of my stuff has been put into storage. I have seen some of the crappiest smallest run down places. It makes me paying my double rent (living alone in a 2br right now) seem nice. Every place I found that was nice the owner lives in (I feel I would have to disclose) every other place is gone immediately or looks worse than having bedbugs. I cant move into a private building, I cant move to a furnished building, I cant move into a share. I cant find a room mate right away, and I dont want to inform my new landlord that I am having a move in prespray. So here seem my choices.

• Stay here, pay for my own damn pest control at full price with warranty, try to salvage apartment so someone can move in here in 60 to 90 days. Caulk everywhere
    • Stay here, do 60 days of pest control, move into an apartment that I have presprayed or spray lightly myself, live on own for a month at least. Caulk everywhere twice.
    • move into another place, have it presprayed, bring my packtite and the few metal sticks of furntiture I have left, live for 60 days, get a room mate.
    • live in a tiny tiny windowless studio 35 minutes from downtown, have no life for a year.
    • live in a tiny expensive as hell one window studio 25 minutes from downtown, have no money for a year.
    • live in a dirty place thats about the same money as this apartment, questionable as to whether I can find a room mate.

Ok, feel free to tell me im an idiot or offer me other advice.
    Caveats: There has been some depression and bad job hours interfering with getting crap done. At least Im employed. Also, my landlord has hired a 65 year old guy to spray the apartments he can get to answer him. He sprayed mine 3 times in a row 2-3 weeks apart, then monthly a few times, but isnt the greatest PCO as far as I can tell. The problem still is not solved, partially cause I have not caulked anything on the assumption of moving.
    Also, can hardly check with other renters to see if they have current bedbugs as they speak little english and I speak little spanish.

2. uggnobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 8:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

doesnt sound like you have many options...and honestly i would question myself this, is the apartment worth it WITHOUT the bedbugs? if so, i would try to salvage it. you cannot guarantee that you will never have this problem again, so why not try to solve it in some different ways now? in my PERSONAL opinion *and this is from a person who has seen bedrooms crawling with bedbugs at grandma's house within the last few months to not getting bit once within the last few weeks there* it's worth one more shot to get rid of the bugs, and spraying/exterminating is NOT enough on it's own. neither is caulking. it seems to me to be that people assume getting rid of bed bugs is a one shot/spray deal or that they can just pay someone else to handle their problem and it will somehow 'go away'. in my experience, it can take up to a month or longer to FULLY eradicate the problem, YOU MUST work daily in your home on the problem, and honestly you probably will ALWAYS be on the lookout unless you live in a bubble and never travel outside of your home. i was shocked to find a lone bedbeg, half dead (or starving to death) in a part of my house totally out of the blue. it was my assumption that a friend brought the bug and dropped it off. i have seen a bb crawling on my jeans while out. i KNOW what they look like now from a mile away it seems. i brought home a baby bb from the park. my children went to the park last week and came home with what looked eerily like bedbug bites...their reaction to them a week later has been classic bedbug bite symptom...still there, some infected, still itchy to the max, skin darkening. i have learned to distinguish bb bites from mosquitoes and biting fly bites...and these are definitely bed bug suspect. and they were only in the park playing! so this is something that will ALWAYS be a problem because there will always be other people who have them. so with THAT being said...other than the spraying and caulking, what other plans have you had to treat the bugs? how is your home situated? by other homes/connected/apt building/by an empty lot?

i am NOT trying to say you're bb ignorant or stupid...but is there something you HAVEN'T tried yet that you feel may work? do you wash clothes on a regular, continuous basis? do you check your bedding nightly before bed? wash bedding as much as needed *at one time, we were washing bedding and clothing EVERY SINGLE DAY--money worth it*? wash and rewash flooring, curtains, pillows, chairs? do you check picture frames, tables, drawers for bed bugs? today *i was jinxed for coming here hehe* my daughter came in crying, "mommy i saw a bug that looked like a bed bug!" me...i didn't even hesitate. she showed me what room she found it in, and right now...the entire room is coming apart. floors have been vaccumed, the machine is going, things are being thrown away...i call it fall cleaning. i JUST washed ALL of their linens yesterday and they will ALL be rewashed today. at 3.00 per load, to me, it's worth it.

honestly, as i think about it...i didn't make them wash their clothing directly from coming into the park, they just threw them into the dirty hamper like normal. if there was a bed bug (or God forbid BUGS) in them, i wouldnt be surprised that theyre out and crawling around now. but im not going to wait to find a nest of them before i treat the bedroom. you have to be VIGILANT with these suckers.

i haven't been here on this site for very long, but i've been dealing with these nasty things for almost a year, and yes...have suffered severe insomnia from them. ive awakened my entire family in the middle of nights, afraid of them being bit. i am expecting a baby soon and the idea of a bb biting her makes me go CRAZY.

i can totally see feeling the need to move...but in your situation, it doesn't seem like the best plan at the moment....

3. uggnobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 8:23:48
    #

Login to Send PM

oh, and for petes sake...many of those interceptor thingys are something i'd never pay 50.00 each for. tall, long glass jars *like the kind goya products come in* work just as well, the bugs can't climb up the sides of the bed because they cannot walk up the sides of the jar, which are smooth just like the sides of a tub. and the jars are sturdy enough to withstand the weight of you being in bed, so long as there is a jar on EACH bed foot. just slide each foot of the bed into the jar. people will sell sand to a beach it seems, and get away with it! if you were thinking about purchasing some, try the jars first!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07