The most expensive sleep over EVER

(69 posts)
  1. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 29 2018 10:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay- so everyone in my family knows that one of my greatest fears in life is bed bugs. Right up there with my house burning down and dying. So the fact that we had some girls sleep over in the beginning of June and one of them brought bed bugs into my house is absolutely killing me. This is my story so far. We had a sleepover. It was fun, all was great. I’ve known the families for some time and it never occurred to me to worry about bed bugs, they live in beautiful houses that are clean and well maintained and are great families.
    -About two weeks after the sleepover, my daughter keep telling me she was itchy, and she was having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep at night. I didn’t think much of it except feeling annoyed that it was disrupting my child free evening time and sleep.
    -a few days later, I find a bug in the bathroom (next to her bedroom) and every part of me screams bedbug. My husband denies it, tells me it’s just my over-reactive crazy fear of them and that it’s just from the crawl space (there is a door to the crawl space in our bathroom). I buy a dehumidifier to run in the bathroom, roach and ant baits, and sticky traps to be sure despite the fact that not even spiders make it out alive in my clean house and I’ve never seen a roach in my life.... better to be prepared I tell myself...
    - two days pass- my daughter screams. I run into her bedroom and there just looking up at me on her sheets is a large, dark bed bug. I catch him and try to remain calm. I pull apart her bed and proceed to find about 6-7 more under her mattress. No fecal signs, no blood spots, and no skins.
    - I immediately get on the internet and find out that my instinct to buy a bed bug bomb is bad (thank goodness I’m a crazy researcher). I call a Pest control person (right after I call my husband and freak out since he is on a business trip).
    -the PCO confirms my photos are in fact my worst nightmare. He sends me a list of what to do to prepare for him. In the next 48 hours I proceed to strip all bedding and empty all closets, dressers and clothing into sealed bags and drag them out to my deck. I wash bedding on the highest heat setting on my washer and dry everything. I pull all furniture out from the wall and bag up and double bag up all toys and items in the bedrooms (4 bedrooms). I literally empty our house into sealed bags and bring them to the deck outside. I vacuum like my life depends on it (with the vacuum I went and bought that had a bag instead of a canister).
    -After staying up two straight days, I get it done. My husband arrives home from his business trip as the PCO arrives and we show him around the house and the 15-20 demon bugs I have caught and quadruple bagged for him. He sprays our entire house, box springs, headboards (that I took apart first), and one of our couches, and assures me I’m going to make it out alive. The infestation seems like it was confined to my daughter’s room and bathroom (that’s where the girls all had their slumber stuff and changed). He leaves and says he will keep in touch daily and that he will re-spray in 2 weeks.
    -When he walked through the house, he was commenting on how incredibly clean my house is. I’m a clean freak. So I felt like this couldn’t possibly happen to me. How? My house is immaculate. My basement... well it has ALOT of stuff in it. All neatly organized in bins and labeled, but ALOT. It’s where I keep all our “stuff” so our house can remain uncluttered and clean. He and I talk about how it wouldn’t be easy to treat with this amount of stuff if they made it to the basement.
    - I spend the next few days vacuuming for a few hours every day (floors, couches, every crevice and baseboard). I begin putting our bagged clothes in the dryer but then find out that most of our clothing shrinks in the dryer. I buy a Zappbug 2, and set it up in our shed outside (on a rug in the enclosed shed so the heat stays and it heats faster). I wash everyone’s sheets every other day. I buy passive traps for under our bed legs and put diatomaceous earth in them. I encase our mattresses and box springs in bed bug covers. I buy a hepa filter backpack vacuum (amazon.com is loving me right now). My husband freaks out about the amount of money I’m putting on our credit card. Meanwhile, he goes to work each day while I have the three kids and spend my days vacuuming, washing, and baking clothes in the Zappbug so things can be brought back in the house (double bagged and not to come out until we are free). I get an absolutely gigantic dumpster and literally drag out 3/4 of our basement. I have taught kids with special needs from preschool to middle school and have so many teaching materials. My kids are spoiled by their grandparents, aunts, and us and have far too many toys. Most of it goes in the dumpster because let’s face it- it is easy to get rid of things when you are faced with these horrid bugs. My husband jokes that he had been begging me to clean the basement for years and this was the fastest clean out in history.
    -I’m exhausted. I’m a hot mess. I take NyQuil Zzz’s to sleep for a few hours at night. I go a million miles an hour until I crash at night. I flipped out on my husband and he is taking next week off from work to help in this living hell.
    -so after all the crazy stuff I did in a matter of days, you would think I feel great about my battle? Wrong. The day after the spray, I find 3 dead ones (downstairs in the bathroom). Two days after spraying I wake up with two new bites and so does my daughter. Of course my husband ever so optimistic bless his soul tries to convince us that it is mosquitos biting us (my a*s) mosquitos. Three days after spraying I get bit while drinking coffee at the island in the kitchen and my son gets three while on our couch. Four days after spraying my other son wakes up at 5am and comes down to watch tv. He gets bit twice on the couch. I feel defeated. I cry a lot. I ordered the room size Zappbug and am counting down the days until it comes so I can bake my couches. My husband flips out about how much debt we are in and I don’t care. I can’t live like this. We currently live out of huge ziplock bags- everyone has three outfits. They put dirty clothes in a sealed bag to be washed. The kids are not allowed to touch the ziplock bags just in case they don’t seal it well. I feel like this hell is never going to end. I feel defeated and broke. I think of the vacation that we could have taken for what I’m spending on these damn things. I worry that I won’t have the situation under control by September when I have to go back to work. I feel guilty for ignoring my children all day and the amazing amounts of tv and video games they get (I make them play outside until 3, then come in, shower and watch tv/video games until bed). I feel like no one gets it. My extended family thinks I’m crazy that I’m throwing away my basement. I look like a raccoon with my dark circles and this seems to be not only the quickest way to become a minimalist but also a great weight loss plan. I’m trying so hard to remain steadfast and upbeat. I realize it has only been less than two weeks since we found them, and four days since they sprayed. I just don’t know how you all get through living like this? I have the summer off, I can’t imagine doing all of this and not losing my job if I had to be at work. I’m a hot mess.
    -other side notes- I know the bed bugs aren’t from my husband’s business trips because in January they put a company wide hold on traveling and he hadn’t been away since April (plus the infestation wouldn’t have started in my daughter’s room since his suitcase is stored in the closet downstairs.
    -I called the parents of each girl that slept over, that sucked and was so embarrassing, and not one of those parents spoke up and said, huh- we have them sorry about that.
    - I told my husband that after another spraying or two, if we continue to get bites I will be calling in thermal for the house and I don’t care which credit card I have to put it on. We aren’t seeing eye to eye on that one...
    -My biggest worry is that we thought they were only in my daughter’s room. Since the spraying we are getting bit in other areas of the house. Did I make it worse? Did they migrate? Are we ever going to be normal again?
    -we haven’t seen live bugs or any blood stains or fecal spots. My husband keeps tying to tell me the bites don’t mean there are bed bugs in our couch and that they have moved out of my daughter’s room- but I just cannot believe they are not nymphs biting us. They are angry looking bites (I react badly) and even in a line on my leg. My husband is a non-reactor so he seems a whole lot less stressed about it.
    -I got bit in my minivan twice - I know people say you don’t feel it but I felt the sting and then had the mad raised swollen red area with tiny white spot in the middle. I spent like five hours emptying out every item in the minivan, vacuuming every crevice, spraying it down with rubbing alcohol, and using my clothes steamer on the entire inside. Fingers crossed.
    -I ordered some Nuvann strips to put in the bags where my kids’ instruments are in (violin, viola, cello, and guitar). Anyone have any experience with making sure instruments are safe? Also going to try to put my daughter’s American Girl dolls in a bag with a strip, I’m afraid they will melt in the Zappbug. Also I plan on hanging some Nuvann strips in my minivan and staying out of it for a few days afterwards.
    - I have spent HOURS reading about bedbugs. Especially this forum. I’ve learned more than I ever wished to know about these awful bugs. My husband on the other hand, just keeps going to work and keeps telling me not to be so stressed. That the PCO is going to save us from them and we will look back on this and laugh. Yup- nope I don’t feel like I will ever laugh at this. EVER.
    - I would love any words of advice and encouragement you can give me. I’m tying so very hard not to fall apart.
    -I just read last night on this site that I shouldn’t have filled the interceptors with DE. I’m going to wear a respirator and clean them out today. I guess I’m supposed to make sure we remain human bait to get them to come out? Ugh. This is all really killing me.

2. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 29 2018 11:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going through the same paranoid these days. PCO said no bugs but my mother keeps getting bites.

does your PCO explain why there are no signs or shells or stains at your house even though there are bed bugs?

Thank you!

3. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 29 2018 12:16:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO says it’s because I’ve only had one spray- he believes that after my next spraying in a week that they should stop. It’s so hard not to feel paranoid all of the time. Plus, all of the threads on here tend to say not to ignore bites, that a month down the line you will see the bugs. I feel like I’m losing my mind with these bugs!

4. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 11:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to believe that my ridiculous bug killer mentality had me ahead of the game. That vacuuming with a hepa filtered “bedbug” backpack vacuum 2-4 hours a day (all floors, baseboards, and couches / cloth chair), that baking all of my stuff in the Zappbug, that living out of plastic bags and washing everyone’s bedding was winning the war. I wanted to believe that my crazy mom-sleeping, busting my butt 24/7 would have this solved quickly and I could move on with my life. And then this morning- I go up to the upstairs bathroom (this room and the bedroom next to it were ground zero from the slumber party), and I find live bed bugs. Two adult sized, and two nymphs (one of which I found on my ceiling). I get that they are coming out trying to find a meal... but their arrival is crushing my spirit. I don’t know how long I can exist in this crazy lifestyle. The PCO comes again Friday. I’m not sure if I see more after the second spraying that I can keep this up. I am so worried that we are going to have to do thermal, and my debt just keeps adding up. Feeling crushed here.

5. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 11:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It should say non-sleeping, not mom-sleeping. I wish I was mom-sleeping LOL

6. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 11:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and my husband and I are at each other constantly- which is out of character for us. We are usually pretty mellow, talk it out kind of people. I lost my shit last night when I found out he laid in bed with my daughter (ground zero) when she had a nightmare (about bedbugs) and then came back into our bed. Now I wash and sanitize all her and our bedding even though I just did it yesterday. He doesn’t get the mentality that it is going to take to beat these suckers and thinks I’m going off the deep end with my “protocols”.

7. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 11:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Same story here. My husband is exhausted and we still not find bug and PCO said no bug but my mother still got bites even after we changed to folding bed and taped all bed legs. We don’t know what will happen next and feel very sad

8. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 11:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m sorry Kisadida... I’m right there with you. I’m trying so hard to keep up the fight and my spirit but it’s making me feel crazy. I look forward to the day that we are past this. And we will not be having sleep overs ever again!

9. Bugsareicky

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 14:28:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep doing what you're doing and you will be just fine. The nightmare cases you read about happen when things are ignored, or people just don't do any research and make a lot of big mistakes. The cleanup you described is pretty much exactly what I did, as well as using DE. We got rid of them very quickly. You'll be rid of them soon. A few things to remember...

They are not actually any worse than a mosquito. They are less harmful actually, since they don't spread disease. Most of our fear is completely irrational.

The bugs will soon be gone. The debt will not. Fighting these little demons does not have to be incredibly expensive. The most expensive treatments are not always the best option. Thermal treatment fails a LOT. Research all you can, and save the credit cards when possible.

If your home burnt down tomorrow, your first worries would be your husband, and your child. Don't forget that those relationships are more important than anything the bugs could destroy. The fighting just isn't worth it.

Last but not least. Lack of sleep will make you crazy. Take a nap. Sleep in the car, bring a towel and sleep on the beach, Whatever it takes, get some sleep.

Hang in there. It will be over before you know it.

10. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 14:36:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I TOTALLY understand! My boyfriend at the time when I was dealing with this was a non-reactor and was far less concerned about the issue than I, because like you I also react very badly to the bites. I've also felt the sting of a bite when I was awake and it was just a nymph. I live alone so I didn't have anyone to help me - physically, emotionally or financially. (The guy I had been dating for about a year and a half pretty much just vanished as I was just starting to figure out what was going on.)

My PCO told me it is normal to continue seeing a few live bugs or getting bites for about a week after a spray. It's SO discouraging and I was very upset, too. But apparently it's normal.

You are clearly doing everything in your power to stay on top of the issue. You're not crazy, it's incredibly tough. But it absolutely can be done! I had maybe one or two more bites spread out over the next few months after the last spray, but by then my house was set up for a quick bug sweep. Ie. my bed was my fortress, clean clothing hanging separately and no clothing which had been worn put back with clean stuff, etc. You know the routines...

Anyway, please don't lose hope! You WILL get back to normal. Well, maybe a bit of a new normal, but eventually your anxiety will decrease and you will sleep in peace. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but trust me. This time next year you'll come back here and tell us your success story.

Thinking of you and your family, and wishing you all the best. Take care!

11. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 17:39:09
    #

Login to Send PM

BbsTo and Bugsareicky- I cannot thank you enough for your kind words! They mean a lot! This place is really the only place I can openly get sad-mad on as I don’t want to tell people, and also other people don’t get it that haven’t gone through it. Thank you for trying to bring up my spirits! I was feeling pretty low as I just found out there may have been a shipping error for my Zappbug and it may take a long time to arrive with the Fourth of July holiday. Definitely feeling kicked when I’m already down!
    Thanks for your support! It means more to me than you’ll ever know!

12. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 19:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I lost my shit last night when I found out he laid in bed with my daughter (ground zero) when she had a nightmare (about bedbugs) and then came back into our bed. Now I wash and sanitize all her and our bedding even though I just did it yesterday.

The bed bugs, if any, can easily walk from one bed to another, so maybe cut the guy some slack. What he did has little impact on the infestation or its eventual resolution.

13. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 19:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I know.... I’m trying really hard to lay off on him... I realize that just because this is my worst nightmare, he isn’t as bothered by it as me (don’t get me wrong, he doesn’t like it, but isn’t freaking out like me). I just felt upset because our bedroom is a bed bug free room and I really want to keep it that way (our bedroom is on the first floor and so far it’s confined to upstairs). I’m working on the “cutting slack” thing.

14. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 21:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT, you saw them walking around during the daytime? I guess I need to do more research because I thought they wouldn't come out of their harborages during the day unless they hadn't had a blood meal in a few days. Did your PCO think it was odd or they didn't seem fazed by it? I'm in the process of trying to use myself as bait since it has been a week since anyone has been home so if I have them. I'm sure they'll be out tonight. I'm just hoping they haven't migrated to my kids' rooms.
    You are doing everything you could possibly do so I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will be rid of them quickly! Good luck!

15. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 21:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT, you saw them walking around during the daytime? I guess I need to do more research because I thought they wouldn't come out of their harborages during the day unless they hadn't had a blood meal in a few days. Did your PCO think it was odd or they didn't seem fazed by it? I'm in the process of trying to use myself as bait since it has been a week since anyone has been home so if I have them. I'm sure they'll be out tonight. I'm just hoping they haven't migrated to my kids' rooms.
    You are doing everything you could possibly do so I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will be rid of them quickly! Good luck!

16. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 22:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Ohpleasenobugs- I did! Both times I have caught all of my bed bugs during the daylight, which I felt was unusual. The bathroom bedbugs must be really hungry to be showing themselves during the day. The ones in my daughter’s room I found under her mattress (but also during the day). My PCO hasn’t said it was weird, but after all of my reading here, I guess it’s not usually the case?

17. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 22:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my! I searched it in the search bar... I guess I didn’t realize that it is unusual... I pray that it doesn’t mean my infestation is bigger than we think! I have to keep praying that they are just starving in the bathroom and desperate for food. I hope not that it’s a larger infestation than initially thought. I will have to ask my PCO in the morning.

18. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 23:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you are correct, they usually don't come out during the day unless they are hungry.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  19. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 23:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Duplicate

20. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 23:50:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Duplicate

21. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 23:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Duplicate

22. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 30 2018 23:50:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Duplicate

23. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 17:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT, just wanted to check in on how you're doing post treatment. Hope you've been able to get some sleep since your first post

24. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 18:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Aww! Thanks Ohpleasenobites for checking in on us! So the last ones I have found are two days ago (the adult and nymphs in the bathroom). I have still been vacuuming every single square inch of my house daily. I’m washing all bedding every other day. We are still working hard at washing and drying and baking things in the Zappbug 2. I got word that the room sized Zappbug won’t be delivered until Friday, which should help speed up the process of bringing our stuff back in (in plastic bags of course). We are getting our second treatment on Friday. I have been praying hard that we are going to see the end of this sooner than later. In my head I know it is very realistic that we will see more, but emotionally I feel like it will crush me. It’s hard because it’s a subject that you’re not supposed to talk to people about, but at the same time the family that does know doesn’t seem to understand how hard it it to go through. I’m praying daily and keeping my fingers crossed that I can start my bug free bite free count- currently = 2 days! How is everything going on your end? Did they come out when you tried to bait them? How are your kids holding up? Sending you positive vibes and hoping all you BBS die!!

25. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 19:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope - I take that back- I just got bit on the rug in the living room. Ugh. This is endless.

26. SS864

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 22:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read articles about the effects of sub-lethal exposure to pesticides causing erratic behaviors in bed bugs, such as wandering aimlessly or increasing the length of time between feedings. Hopefully the specimens you found in the bathroom were in the process of dying or just hadn't had adequate exposure to the pesticides yet.

27. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 8:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT, did you see a bug in living room or you felt a bite? Could the bite have been a delayed reaction (fingers crossed)?

28. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 12:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I was sitting on the rug in the living room playing a card game with the kids (no one is sitting on couches at my house for the time being). When I get bit, I have an intense reaction, swells high and red and becomes incredibly itchy in minutes. Within the hour of the bite the swelling goes down but it remains itchy. It was definitely new, it was large and angry and swollen and it went down within the hour. I proceeded to vacuum the rug (both sides) and the entire living room and made everyone shower and put on fresh pjs from the dryer. It’s really getting hard to live like this.

29. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 11:52:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Two weeks and one day after finding these little buggers and 12 days from treatment one (next treatment in two days).
    Happy 4th of July! My morning three hour house vacuum has the following holiday report for you before I shower and put on clothes from the dryer and attempt to feel normal at a cookout:
    1. Nymph found running around the bottom of the climb up trap in my bedroom
    2. Larder beetle (alive), like stage 2 bedbug (dead I think), and a full grown one all in the upstairs bathroom (alive but moving slow).
    3. Blood spot on my son's bottom sheet.
    Happy 4th of July! I will now attempt to be Normal the next few hours and not be a crazy bug slayer with a hepa vacuum and a tactical flashlight.

30. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 12:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Two weeks and one day after finding these little buggers and 12 days from treatment one (next treatment in two days).
    Happy 4th of July! My morning three hour house vacuum has the following holiday report for you before I shower and put on clothes from the dryer and attempt to feel normal at a cookout:
    1. Nymph found running around the bottom of the climb up trap in my bedroom
    2. Larder beetle (alive), like stage 2 bedbug (dead I think), and a full grown one all in the upstairs bathroom (alive but moving slow).
    3. Blood spot on my son's bottom sheet.
    Happy 4th of July! I will now attempt to be Normal the next few hours and not be a crazy bug slayer with a hepa vacuum and a tactical flashlight.

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT, is it wrong that I chuckled after reading this post? =) Maybe we should start referring to you as "crazy BB slayer". Happy 4th and I'm glad that you won't let these blood sucking pests ruin your holiday!

31. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 20:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You still have samples of the bugs? Take any pictures of them to post here? I know the PCO saw them. Just wondering if common bed bug or bat bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  32. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 20:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I will read the sticky on how to post photos and upload some. Thank you!

33. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 20:47:28
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I will read the sticky on how to post photos and upload some. Thank you!

Don't use photobucket. Flickr and Imgur are 2 good ones.

34. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 21:01:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok- let me know if this works- I haven’t been taking super clear photos because I just save them for the Pest guy and then he kills them.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/162973584@N05/shares/26oBdA

35. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 4 2018 21:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I can take new ones in the morning of my recents (they are in tape and plastic bags) if you need them to be more clear and focused.

36. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 6:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 9 hours ago  » 
    Ok- let me know if this works- I haven’t been taking super clear photos because I just save them for the Pest guy and then he kills them.
    I can take new ones in the morning of my recents (they are in tape and plastic bags) if you need them to be more clear and focused.

They be best if not in plastic. Do you have an attic? PCO ever check for bats or birds that nest together? They don't look like the common bed bug, but either a bird or bat bug. That explains the strange sightings. Where do you live? I'd be interested in the bug samples.

37. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 11:35:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Based on your reccomedation we just went through our crawl spaces and attic with a flashlight. No signs of any life at all (no bed bugs, no bats, no birds). Found some spiders and some dead ladybugs. I tried to take a closer photo using my kid’s microscope of the bed bug specimens, but it wasn’t super helpful. I’ll try again with a different microscope. It doesn’t help that they are in packing tape (that’s how I catch them and then put the tape in a ziplock). I have to figure out how to directly message you to tell you where I live, I’m trying to remain anonymous as people freak out about bed bugs (as do I).

38. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 12:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 15 hours ago  » 

The best way if they're not stuck to tape so you taking pictures through the tape. If stuck on one side and don't fold the tape over, then the bug will be exposed.

39. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 17:30:07
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 15 hours ago  » 

The best way if they're not stuck to tape so you taking pictures through the tape. If stuck on one side and don't fold the tape over, then the bug will be exposed.

Sorry. Hope you understood what I said.
    The best way to take pictures is not through tape. If specimen is stuck to tape, don't fold it over, but just take the picture of the insect. It only needs to be stuck on one side to hold it.

40. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 18:54:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I’ll have to wait until I catch the next one to do that, they are all double sided taped (I fear them)!! Not to be mean... but if I never find another one to do that to get a better photo... then I will be happy! But most likely I’ll have a better photo for you in a day or two easy.

41. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 9:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs Injust figured out the PM and I sent you new photos. Ohpleasenobugs, I just saw your PM- I didn’t realize you had sent me one (just figuring it out).

42. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 9:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Well- yesterday we had our second spray. I’m praying and trying to stay positive that this could be the part where we start on the path to returning to a normal life in the next few weeks, but time will tell. Woke this morning and did my daily tactical flashlight search. So far I only found a dead 2nd or 3rd instar in the bathroom (ground zero). We finally got our Zappbug room yesterday and are setting it up now with the hopes of speeding up the baking of what’s left of our belongings. It’s sad to look at the construction size dumpster in my driveway filled, although if these horrible creatures weren’t plaguing me, I think the purge would feel good. I’m trying to remember that my family is what’s important and in a weird way this horrible experience has a unique way of making you take stock of your priorities.
    I did take the kids out to eat and to the movies yesterday (as we had to vacate for the day for the treatment). It’s the first time I’ve left in a long time... it was crazy how freaked out I was. I drove there in the car freaking out if they were in there (should hopefully be fine as we vacuumed, steamed, and locked Nuvan strips in it for days). Then I thought about the seats at the restaurant and thought about how it would be the perfect living space for bedbugs. I watched the movie and felt skeeved out about the seats. It’s funny, I’ve spent my whole life never aware of all of these possibilities. I used to feel like as long as we stayed in nice hotels and checked the mattresses there that all would be fine in life. Ignorance is bliss I tell you. It’s going to take me awhile to get back to any sort of “carefree”.

43. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 19:11:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Day two post spray TWO- As of yet have not seen more but based on the instar found yesterday I think those teeny tiny buggers are going to be hard to find. I’m hoping the residuals kill them! Because no one is going in the ground zero bathroom I know I need a CO2 source to draw them out. Today I made two homemade ones (I’ll put the links) and I will keep my fingers crossed that they bring them out into the residual.
    1. http://joelzwilliams.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-williams-method-bedbug-co2-trap-for.html?m=1
    (Video of #1) -

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

2. http://joelzwilliams.blogspot.com/2017/02/quick-bedbug-trap-williams-method.html?m=1

44. ohpleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 18:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT! Let us know how effective it is at trapping BBs!

45. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 12:18:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I had high hopes of being an inspirational story for others to read and gather strength from, not a story of dread and suffering. I am not going to be one of those people I guess. The DIY traps did not attract anything or catch anything. I got bit a few times yesterday but I kept telling myself that it was because I’m handling things that are going into the Zappbug baker and I’m getting bit before they are fried. My son (whose room has been bedbug free the entire time), woke up this morning with bites all over his arms and back. Again, since I’m trying so very hard to not let my anxiety get the best of me, I tell myself it’s because they have been playing outside all day, every day. Then I go and look at his white sheets... covered in blood spots. He doesn’t have a cut on him, just bites. We are still in this Hell, no matter how hard I work to bake and dryer, vacuum, and chemically bombard our house. I can not live this way anymore. We should find the date available by the end of the day, our house is getting thermal treatment. And if they are not gone by then, I think I will lose my mind.

46. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 13:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Seats at a restaurant could harbor bed bugs, but it's far from an ideal living situation for them.
    Consider that most patrons will be awake and aware while at the restaurant, as well as having the area clearly lighted. Also factor in the much more stringent cleaning procedures. A good transfer point perhaps, but I wouldn't expect to live long if I called it home.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  47. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 7:48:53
    #

Login to Send PM

An update from me-
    We went ahead with thermal treatment the day before yesterday, since my anxiety about these nasty little critters is so intense and the recent dinner feast they had on my son in his bed (even though my PCO said the residual chemicals he crawled through to get to him would kill him). It went well, the company was very professional, it took from 8:30 in the morning until 6 in the evening. My husband stayed in the yard under a pop up tent and watched the whole thing and even walked through with once as they moved things around and checked on things. They monitored all temps and as of this moment I have yet to find anything ruined or broken. I felt like maybe there was a final chance of getting my sanity back. Maybe even sleeping through the night would be great! So I spent yesterday moving back into our closets and living space (since I had spent weeks thermally treating everything and double bagging it, they had us keep it all bagged up and they heated them again when they heated the house. I got the entire first floor back to actual living and not in plastic and decided to call it a night and brush my teeth at 11:00 last night. As I’m brushing my teeth, I see it. Crawling up the wall. I grab my packing tape and catch it and analyze it. I freak out. I cry. I feel like throwing up. After being up all night, I decide to look at it under my kid’s microscope... low and behold..... it has wings!!!!!! It was so crazy - because it literally looks like a bed bug- had I not looked under the microscope I would have had my house sprayed again and waited to hear from the thermal company (they want me to send it to them). I really think these nasty bugs make people crazy. I’m going to send it to the thermal company and I have sent photos to Lou here to hopefully ID it and save my sanity... It sounds crazy but I need to know what it actually is... like I have to be sure I don’t have the first highly evolved bed bug that has wings now. That’s where I’m at with these bugs. They have made me hate bugs and wish death upon them all. (Realistically I know it probably came in as they cooled the house as they had the doors open).
    So- here’s to hoping, wishing, and praying that we are in the clear. I’m sure I will have many more freak out moments with bugs in the near future and probably specks of dirt or fuzz for that matter. I will keep posting “if” we remain in the clear. People need to read stories that have happy endings- I know it was important for me to read them a month ago. I hope this is over.

48. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 7:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Two other things I should add - we are running both the Nightwatch monitor and two of
    The Bed Bug Active Alert monitors every night. Also, the thermal heat company told me that our awful visitors were more likely hitchhikers from a family trip to the children’s indoor water park / hotel we went to at the end of May rather than a slumber party, but there is no real way to tell.

49. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 8:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

hope you get final peace soon! It's better to know you have then than you don't know you have them

50. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 8:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

hope you get final peace soon! It's better to know you have then than you don't know you have them

51. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 10:58:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe I answered your post and PM. Wings. Looks like an anthocorid bug. Small predaceous bug. From outdoors.

52. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 21 2018 10:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so very discouraged. I feel like this hell is never going to end. Two days post thermal heating (and two chemical treatments) and I just found an adult bed bug in our bathtub in the ground zero bathroom. I’m at a loss. He wasn’t dead, his legs are all twitching which I guess is a good sign that he may be dying, but just finding him is enough to spiral me into a freak out.

53. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 15:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Well- another update- not a positive one at that. Both Lou and our thermal company have confirmed we have bat bugs, not bed bugs. We had a wildlife specialist company come out today and the bats are under the eaves of our dormers (that is why we didn’t see any signs in our attic). They found bat guano on the roof. The frustrating part is that we have a law in our state to protect bats- and we cannot have one way doors installed until August 1st unless we want a very large fine. So we wait at least 8 days now for the one way doors to be installed. Then the thermal company waits another week to be sure they are gone before they re-heat. So my family and I get to live as food for these awful nightmares for a solid two more weeks at minimum. I want to leave our house for the two weeks, but we are out of money. Who am I kidding- we are past out of money. A couple of bats and so far 5 weeks of my life and more money than I could have spent on multiple amazing vacations and it’s just shit luck. That’s what it comes down to. The odds of getting both bats and bat bugs are pretty low... I had higher odds of staying at a hotel and bringing bed bugs home. Depressed and discouraged does not even cover what I am feeling.

54. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 23:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

So it wasn't really an expensive sleepover. A fly over.

55. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 12:03:26
    #

Login to Send PM

So we are still waiting on August 1st to evict the bats- but I wanted to post a few red flags that I wish I had picked up on sooner in this ordeal in hopes that it may help someone in the future.

1. It should have been a red flag that I was finding them in the bathroom.
    2. It should have been a red flag that I was able to catch so many. I read an article online that says that bed bugs are hard to catch during the day and scatter when you see them. Bat bugs, however have slightly longer hind legs to hold onto the bats. When movement occurs, they often let go and lay on their backs legs up as a survival instinct in order to not take a ride on the bat when it takes flight. This would explain why I could catch them so easily.
    3. Just because you don’t see bats doesn’t mean you don’t have bats.
    4. Listen to Lou and if he asks you to send you a bug, do it. Like immediately.

56. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 11:42:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m not sure anyone is reading this or not- but I’m going to continue to post in hopes that his could help someone.
    So two days ago the wildlife specialists came and installed one way bat doors on all four corners of the two dormers. They put netting up and sealed any questionable crevice that the bats might try to use to get back in. During the installation, four bats flew out. The grossest part is that there were two yellow jacket nests right next to where the doors went it. They had to spray next to it and when they did four bat bugs actually crawled out onto the roof.....
    that night my husband sat outside with binoculars and counted 15 bats come out. They have been flying around our house every dusk upset that they can’t get back in. Since the house was thermally treated, we had only had one bat bug (in the bathroom). We had sealed up the bathroom fixtures (both caulking and cover in Saran Wrap). Now that the bats are gone... they are migrating. Found one in the Saran Wrap covering the bathroom fan. We have to wait another week until they will heat our house again in order to give the bugs a chance to move and to be sure all bats have left (a total of ten days). With still a week left of waiting... I just can’t do it. I can’t put my kids to bed at night knowing that the bat bugs are trying to crawl down from the attic to feed on us. I’m forever grateful that a family member has allowed us to spend the week at their cabin- of course I did the crazy dryer everything, pack minimal things to be sure not one bug came with us, even though they need the blood of a bat to reproduce, which makes it less likely to infest anyone. But now my husband sleeps there at night and has to get through another week until they heat the house (and attic this time). I live in constant fear that the heat will not kill them through the insulation in the attic and that I’m going to continue living this hell after our second heat treatment. I stress about if I make the right decision to not tear out our dormer walls to do a cleanup of the bat guano since it would be thousands of dollars. I keep being told that leaving it is the best option. But who knows?! Am I making the right decision? Will the heat treatment end my nightmare for good or will the saga continue? I wish this were over.

57. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 11:59:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So the installation of the one way doors are where they are normally entering and exiting? Have you collected any bugs? Sounds like this is going well now.

58. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 12:04:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou! Yes, they were entering and exiting at the corner where the dormer meets the roof, opening not much larger than a quarter. I am collecting the bugs! I’ll send you some, trying to get you some live ones! You can have my entire attic of you want! LOL

59. mcsmcs

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 12:18:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am reading our apartment has bat bugs

60. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 12:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m so sorry you share my misery MCSMCS. Are you having any luck? I can’t imagine it is easy to deal with in an apartment since there are others involved as well. Have your bats been removed?

61. mcsmcs

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 22:20:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually in the process of moving out because my father died in May and I'm going to be living with my mom for a little while. It's been a nightmare. My roommate is more in touch with what is going on. She's gotten bitten a couple times I think I must not react because I haven't been bitten but I have found a bug on my futon. We found all adults and it doesn't seem to be that bad. Lou had identified an adult years ago when I found it But I didn't take it seriously cuz I was young and stupid. We were supposed to be having someone come to exclude the bats but I'm not sure where that stands. I think that you are having a worse time of it and I am so sorry for you. I live in a 3 family On the third floor so they are coming down from the attic.

62. mcsmcs

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 3 2018 22:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I was actually personally relieved it was bat bugs because I'm not so worried about them spreading to my mom's house where I was spending a lot of time. However if I was financially involved I would feel probably worse about that's pure

63. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 11 2018 8:57:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We had our second heat treatment yesterday. They made sure to get the attic up to temp as well as the house. Today we begin hoping and praying again that this is all over. We are going to put Saran Wrap over the ceiling fixtures in the bathroom for a while again (as it was effective at catching bat bugs coming down from the attic and trapping them from entering the bathroom). Fingers crossed! I really need an end to this!

64. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 11 2018 8:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

MCSMCS I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I hope you are able to get rid of your bat bugs and find some peace living with your mom!

65. Buggy Smalls

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 11 2018 14:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to say, reading through this, you have some bad ass dedication and perseverance 💪 I’m just in awe of your relentless efforts.
    Being and feeling alone with your convictions, and in my opinion having a just sternness about the severity of the matter, and then just battling onwards with this solo hardcore determination.
    You are one strong woman - tipping my invisible hat to you 🎩

66. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 11 2018 20:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your kind words Buggy Smalls! I appreciate it!! It has been a very hard two months and I hope to be able to live bug free now! 😊

67. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Aug 18 2018 14:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Just posting an update - we are eight days bug sightings and bite free since our house and attic were heated again. I hope and pray that this is the official end to this story for us! We still have the bathroom fixtures Saran wrapped and will keep them that way for a few more weeks since that appears to have been the entry point from the attic. Everyone still has white sheets and white comforters and climb ups on their beds... maybe in a few weeks I can let everyone resume life as normal. I will post again if things change, but I hope not! Good luck to all of you fighting this fight!

68. TerriblyBugged

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Aug 19 2018 13:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve read your posts religiously! Keep them coming. Your ordeal is far worse than mine but has kept me on the vigilant side!

69. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Aug 31 2018 9:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It has been 21 days since our last heat treatment and we have not seen a bat or a bat bug! I’m nervous to jinx myself, but I’m feeling better about life! We still have the fixtures Saran wrapped in the upstairs bathroom (it was under the eaves and where the bugs were entering from our attic). I may keep them that way for awhile longer as it makes it easier to know (I just check it every day) and it gives me peace of mind.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,466 posts in 46,336 topics over 141 months by 20,421 of 21,261 members. Latest: rebecgood, chrissy8929, Chronic