Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

The Mental Burden

(20 posts)
  1. iwonder

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

This has been discussed quite a bit on the forums, but it has been on my mind as of late, so I thought I would ask what everyone's current thoughts are.

When I see people going about their way - studying in cafes, carrying around their big bags, sitting in the big upholstered chairs at the mall, shopping for everything and anything, I sometimes wonder, is ignorance bliss? I've never had a problem, but I've read enough horror stories to scare me silly. I try to be as careful as I realistically can be when it comes to BBs. But it really wears you down. I don't really feel comfortable outside of the house anymore. miserableone said something along those lines and that resonated with me. I don't know if I'll go to a movie theater again. Yes, I know I could throw my outer garments into the dryer when I return or at least shake them off, but the thought that I'm doing that to prevent a BB infestation disturbs my psyche. It's scary to think that when I pull a NEW item from the shelf, it could actually have a problem. Yes, I know that is rare, but just the thought of it gives me the shivers.

I guess this is kind of a vent/rant, but I feel like this has taken over my life. Sometimes I yearn for the old days. And yes, I know that ignorance can lead to a problem down the line, but sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know because maybe I wouldn't have a problem for a while and I'd be able to live the way I used to.

2. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

iwonder........I feel the same way. I watch people walk around when Im out shopping or in public in general and Im so jealous of the fact that they are living a life not worrying about BB's. It really has taken over my life. I consider that I may pick them up from everywhere I go. I was in a hotel recently and couldnt for the life of me enjoy myself like everyone else was because I was so busy trying to keep my belongings BB free. Like I said in an earlier post, I cant enjoy a movie anymore either. I leave the theater, go into the bathroom shake myself off and keep my fingers crossed that nothing got into my clothing. Its very stressful and at this point I would rather be blissfully ignorant =(

3. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no doubt in my mind that these bugs cause mental breakdowns!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 11:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

A lot of us have felt that way. In time I think most of us learn to balance precautions with enjoying life in public places. That can take some time.

Some here have found seeing a therapist helpful in dealing with the aftermath of bed bugs and the feelings of anxiety that can come up.

You might think ignorance is bliss but there's another way to look at it which is that knowledge is power.

Being aware the problem exists and knowing how to look for it go a long way in my opinion. Inspecting a hotel room, for example, can go a long way. You can treat clothing or bags after going to a theater if you're concerned. You don't have to be a hermit to try and avoid bed bugs -- and even if you are one, it's no guarantee you won't get them.

I try to educate my friends and family on ways to search for and avoid bed bugs, because I think knowledge is power for them too.

And above all else, monitoring your home can mean that if the worst happens and you ever get bed bugs again, early detection can mean it's not such a big deal.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 12:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Right it is a mental anguish. But as my friend told me its Only bed bugs not the end of the world. She said you have 3 healthy children and you are healthy. I had to look at that statement and really evaluate my life. I understand it does take over your whole life thinking about it not being able to sleep because you know a mini vampire is going to come suck your blood. It's been 8 days since any seen activity and my son got bit last night by something not sure what but I'm now feeling discouraged again tho in my heart of hearts I feel it's not a bb. Anyhow. It takes time to readjust to normal life again. I was severely depressed the way it all came to be , but as time goes on I don't feel so helpless anymore I feel empowered because I know about these creatures and I am letting my friends know so they can better understand what's happening in our world today. Yes ignorance is bliss but as gi joe said knowing is half the battle! Blessings on a wonderful new day. I hope soon you can return to your knowing blissfull life .

6. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 13:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs.....Ill try to look at it as knowledge is power instead of ignorance is bliss lol I do feel way more educated on the matter since I started coming here and in a way I feel like I have one up on others who dont know as much. I hear people talking about it sometimes and Ill hear things like "oh you cant catch BB's from other people" or "they only live in beds" and I think....good lord people you are SOOOOOO wrong. So I guess its good to look at is as Im very very informed lol I know what to look for. I know how to at least TRY and not bring them home. Trying ever so hard to be an optimist and not a pessimist.

I hope all of this convo is helping you iwonder. Its kinda therapeutic to talk about it out loud.

7. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 14:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

feelinghelpless.....whoever told you its only bedbugs its not the end of the world probably never had them lol I do however agree......things could be much worse. Like you have have children, they are both healthy. Other than my fear of BB's life is good. So I will try and incorporate that thought into my daily life as well. Things could always be worse.

8. paranoid BB freak

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 14:14:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I know what you mean..... This weekend discussing a patient that came in with bedbug bites.... One woman said 'well she tested negative for bed bugs'...... I said WTF? There is no 'test' other than finding a live bug. To which she said 'well, you can't see them'. Again, WHAT??? To which someone else said ' well you can't catch them, they are only in beds'. At that point I had to walk away..... They weren't going to be convinced by anything I was telling them.....

9. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 15:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

feelinghelpless.....whoever told you its only bedbugs its not the end of the world probably never had them lol I do however agree......things could be much worse. Like you have have children, they are both healthy. Other than my fear of BB's life is good. So I will try and incorporate that thought into my daily life as well. Things could always be worse.[/quote] right! She hasn't had them but she runs several apartment buildings in the greater los Angeles area and she's had 3 that have been infested. So she kinda understands from that perspective but nobody understands until you've had them. But there could be worse things that could be. But Dane ! Bed bugs are kinda in that department worse than worse lol. Ok back to thinking positive. It could be worse.

10. highlyneurotic

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 21:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I sympathize, iWonder. I've posted similar thoughts in recent weeks. I'm trying not to let worry/anxiety take over my life and I do still try to do all (or at least most) of the things I used to do, albeit with a greater understanding of the risks involved. But what I find most galling is that when I try to educate others, they all make fun of me as though I'm some obsessive-compulsive worrywart, when the reality is that this is NYC in 2012. My friends will actually say in a condescending tone of voice "so how are your bedbugs today?!" even though they know that I don't have them--but I have been exposed and I'm trying to prevent ever getting them!

11. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 21:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I know how you feel. i threw away so much stuff. i never want to buy clothes, toys or junk again.

when i see people smiling i think to myself they dont have bed bugs. when i see people shop i get disgusted that i once enjoyed that.

I forgot life before bb. when i watch t.v and they are talking bout celebrities i get enraged on why their isnt a world summit about the bb problem.

i know i sound crazy, but this is my everyday thinking since finding bb a month ago.

I pray to feel normal again, so my kids grow up talking bout happy times. not my mommy threw away our toys and washed clothes all day crying. I pray to survive this

12. sosadnow

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2012 7:31:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to weigh in on this. I lost my son who was in the army 5years ago. THAT was the worst thing ever. EVER. We are still healing, it is not as raw now and we even smile when we talk about him-he was a full of life VERY ornery boy. This however, has struck my psyche at times pretty hard. But, I have the worst to compare it to so I always have a persepective. So, don't feel you are being too upset or crazy. This is hitting me hard, too. I feel very alone. Even my husband gets tired of my constant cleaning, spraying, laundry efforts. But, having said that they are bugs, as long as we work hard and are diligent we will win. It will be over. We have the support and pros here that are very patient and knowledgeable with us. Nobugs is very right. We need to be smart and educated. I think this is an epidemic and people feel it will not happen to them. Well in my opinion it will and we will be ready and hopefully safe from reinfection because we know what we are doing. It is just so defeating at times so we go from high to low so fast. I tell myself do I want to look back at this time and just remember bed bugs? My best advice is to get out, take a walk, cut some flowers, force yourself to focus on the good and then come back and fight the fight a stronger, wiser person. Good luck and God Bless us.

13. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2012 9:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sosadnow sorry for your loss and the fact that your going threw bb. Your so right, and if you can be positive, so can we.
    One thing that i take out of this is that whenever something happens in my family i always do much research. So even though i hope no one in my family ever get bb. if they do im prepared to help them in every way possible. God bless us all

14. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2012 23:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

2r4m - 2 days ago  » 
    I know how you feel. i threw away so much stuff. i never want to buy clothes, toys or junk again.
    when i see people smiling i think to myself they dont have bed bugs. when i see people shop i get disgusted that i once enjoyed that.
    I pray to survive this

I so can totally relate to that quote, it was such a long time ago that I was BB free, I watch movies on TV and when I see people in a nice bed I'm jealous, and I want a nice BB free bed like that...

Dear God 10 months of this. I do pray every night for it to go away.
    I've lost so much to this, health, money, friends, social life, and a type of sanity that I wonder will ever come back, it may not be the hardest thing to go through in life, but it is fore certain ONE of the hardest

God Bless You all

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  15. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 22:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Endless_nightmare hang in there. I know one day we will all survive this, and be smart on how to prevent it. God bless us all

16. rubyone80

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 24 2012 10:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am obsessed. Whether I am at school, work, or with my kids, it is all I think about. It has only been 3wks since discovery and I am already so tired of it. Tired of living out of ziplocs, tired of crying, and tired of constantly looking around me as if there is an invisible virus that I might catch. Every itch or sensation on my skin or scalp makes me crazy. I have bagged up all of my clothes, threw out my bed and couch (they were five feet from one another in the same room), and got dusted and sprayed by a PCO. I am sleeping on my dining room table with a camping pad and sent the kids to there dad's house til this is over. My roommates who live upstairs refused to treat, so only the basement that I live in was treated. They pile there dirty clothes and linens in the bathroom closet upstairs and wash there clothes 10ft from my room door. The PCO said that I will never get rid of them as long as they have them. I am moving in a month and a half and do not want ta take them with me. Not sure that that is possible considering my roommates. Why is it that some people think it is no big deal and others like me live a nightmare with it. I have spent so much money on ziplocs, contractor bags, plastic for my bed and couch(when i threw it out), boarding the dogs while pco treated and the pco; and still wont get rid of them because of roommates. Frustrated, paranoid, and severely depressed.

17. combust

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 17:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for all of you, last week I thought we had found a bed bug, we spent out Labor Day cleaning and laundering everything only to find out after I posted a picture here that the bug I found was a carpet beetle. I suffered for one day and can't image it going on from months. I am surprised that BB don't spread more often, (maybe they do and people don't talk about it?) I think of how easy they could spread from cruise ships, college dorms, public transportation, the list goes on and on but at the end of the day you must not let it control your life and your enjoyment, easier said than done but stay strong. If we did have them I would just think of them as mosquito's without wings, doesn't seem as bad ,does it?

18. Blackheart

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 17:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing like mosquitoes, they only bite and go away and hopefully die, bb's on the other hand, do what they can to suck you dry and will continue to do so.

Hate to say it but these things are the worst pest and from what I understand one of the hardest to eradicate, hope you never experience them, the mere thought of them pales in comparison to the horror of actually having them!

Sam

19. ScaredMomma

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 18:26:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with all of you 100%. I see tv shows and I think, "why can't I just enjoy this?" or going out to do errands, seeing my friends laughing and enjoying their house. We've only lived in this house for 3 months and I have no confirmed case of BBs but thought for sure we brought them home on vacation. Even if we don't have them, my life will never be the same...I will always struggle going on vacations now, always struggle going out in public and to friends houses. I called my doc yesterday and they gave me some xanax and Wellbutrin to help me get through this. I've searched everything in my house and have found no traces of anything bb...even the things I thought were bb, weren't. I've seen some blood and stuff on my sheets, but I can't figure out where that would come from. I've seen no bugs, no skins, nothing.

My daughter has a bite on her ear, my other daughter has a bite on the back of her ear, and my son has one on his arm, but I have NO idea if those are bbs or just mosquitos from being outside. I have bites from being on vacation over 11 days ago that are still healing and from what I can tell I don't have any new ones...I figure if I don't get any new ones I should be okay, right? I feel like I'll wake up 6 months from now and see one crawling across my sheets and think, "why didn't I do more when I was freaked out about it?"

I just don't know what to do....I finally got some sleep after almost a week of no sleep but only because the xanax knocked me out. I am so depressed I actually wanted to move out of this house and back into our old one! I said to my husband, "leave everything, lets just go!"

It's an AWFUL experience!

20. rosiehatesbedbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 19:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

miserableone - 2 weeks ago  » 
    iwonder........I feel the same way. I watch people walk around when Im out shopping or in public in general and Im so jealous of the fact that they are living a life not worrying about BB's. It really has taken over my life. I consider that I may pick them up from everywhere I go. I was in a hotel recently and couldnt for the life of me enjoy myself like everyone else was because I was so busy trying to keep my belongings BB free. Like I said in an earlier post, I cant enjoy a movie anymore either. I leave the theater, go into the bathroom shake myself off and keep my fingers crossed that nothing got into my clothing. Its very stressful and at this point I would rather be blissfully ignorant =(

Hi, read your post and I am newly infected. This is great place to be, good support. But I guiltily have the same thoughts. People walking around living their life. I cannot. And sorry if that is bad. I am human. And so so sad. I am not a bad person, I just want this to end. Take care.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45