The importance of being systematic

(6 posts)
  1. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 13:16:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So I hadn't seen a bug (dead or alive) in about 12 days after treating my home with Temprid and DE until this morning. I decided to empty out a bathtub in the (infested but treated) master bedroom that was acting as temporary storage for stuff (bagged and unbagged) while I was spraying to bulk wash some of the kids' toys in (150°) soapy water. I didn't clean the tub first and I mixed toys from different rooms in the tub so I missed out on important information when I found a very hungry and dead 3rd instar nymph floating in the water. I could have learned if additional rooms were infested, that bugs were wandering from the bed area, or that the pesticide was working, but instead I learned absolutely nothing because it could have been transported to the tub by 100 different means both dead or alive and I'll never know because I was lazy.
    It's so deflating to keep looking for 'meaning' in the evidence or activities (or absence thereof) of what are, after all, simple and stupid insects and be thwarted by your own thoughtlessness.

2. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 13:33:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent. I'm sure you all will understand.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't be too hard on yourself! It's hard to do everything you're doing, and no one is perfect.

Monitoring the various rooms is another way to determine if they are still present there.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 20:05:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 20:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your messages of encouragement. It was a low point for me. I've been looking for bugs off and on since the 21st of last month when I took care of their only known harborage here (not totally true, I did find one on the wall about two weeks ago), so to finally find a straggler and have it mean nothing was all a bit too 'Old Man and the Sea' for my liking.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 1:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep your head up. You are doing great!
    The information may have been confusing.
    I haven't been through it, but I heard there were lots of confusing theories of harborages, stray ones, dispersal, a new one carried in, etc. It's too hard to always know where the BB came from. Don't be too hard on yourself.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver