Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

The End of the World as I Know It -or- How to Handle Rare Items?

(6 posts)
  1. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Apr 18 2018 4:30:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Two incidences a month apart of waking up with clusters of welts. Tonight? Live ass bedbug on my arm, positively identified by my entomologist friend. I slew the beast and put it in a bag to show my landlord.

We just moved into this apartment early March. No history of bugs at past dwellings. Bed and mattress purchased new for this home. Our otherwise sparse wooden furniture was brought in after the initial attack, and was in outdoor storage(exposed to freezing temps) for over a year. Inspection yields a pristine mattress. No signs of specks or other bugs on bed, and I don't see anything on baseboards. Apartment is carpeted, so this may be hindering my search.

I've been up literally all night freaking out about this. I have a ton of collectibles that can't be washed or heat treated or frozen. Is it too early in the game to assume I have to light myself and our home on fire? Are my rare art prints and vinyl collection doomed? My boyfriend's guitar? The lipstick I spent wayyyy too much money on? Have I infested my job and my family's home(I have visited once since the night of the first attack, no mention of bugs from family)?

Aside from the two biting incidents I've experienced about a month apart and the bedbug found on my arm tonight, nothing to report. I am assuming that the bedbugs have existed in this apartment prior to our move, since nowhere I have been otherwise shows hide nor antennae of these little effers.

If you've successfully dealt with something like this, does it sound like we have a good prognosis if our landlord treats this early? I'm setting some detection traps and am ready to prepare for pest control, but any guidance or reassurance is welcome.

ALSO: was considering trying the plastic tarp under the mattress trick to start starving these fools. But how can I be sure they can't climb up the areas of the mattress that the bed frame touches?!

2. alsk

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 13:44:27
    #

Login to Send PM

hey sorry i'm a newbie to these situations myself, but wanted to ask how your situation progressed? what treatment plan were you recommended?

3. Pattycake

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 14:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow i feel for you. Hope your landlord finds you a good PCO. Meanwhile if i were you i would look up Nuvan Pest Strips. There are several Utube videos on how to use them. They can be purchased on line at Bed Bug Supply. Good luck....

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 23:22:29
    #

Login to Send PM

We have information on DDVP (Nuvan isn’t the only brand and isn’t available in all states) in our useful tools page, along with other options: https://Bedbugger.com/useful-tools/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 27 2018 9:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this in a panic hours after my first confirmed brush with a bedbug and was not up to speed on my reading. Frankly, I'm lucky that my worst reaction was this post. I managed to not light the house on fire and left everything as it was with zero self treatment for PCO to get an accurate assessment.

PCO did first treatment yesterday and actually said I didnt have to bag or worry about my stuff, but I let paranoia get me a bit with our clothes and will probably keep those bagged for awhile. I can't stand the thought of spreading them to ANYONE even though I'm much calmer. I travel a lot for work and just can't stomach bringing them to my boss' home when I stay there, so I did heat treat using a clothes dryer on high and sealed up all the clothing and travel bags I brought, packed in ziplocs inside the travel bags, and left my computer and books at home just in case. I wiped down items like makeup with alcohol and let them dry before packing them in yet more ziplocs, all will inspecting items for eggs, bugs, and feces.

PCO investigated my things from mattress to furniture to suitcases and found no trace of bugs or eggs or feces. It seems we had one or two solo travelers due to what ended up being a massive infestation from downstairs neighbors having ignored the situation for at least months. The whole house has been treated starting with our apartment to keep the bugs from coming up to escape the bigger guns used downstairs.

I was fortunate to inherit a Pack Tite, and purchased Cimexa for use after our final treatment since PCO said it was ok. For delicate items, I may use Nuvan/hot shot strips in bins. It looks like I may only be doing the Cimexa after all, however, and saving the pack tite for travel/guests.

I still have a vague urge to light our whole house on fire but I realize this is a gross overreaction. I'm allowing myself the compromise of my seemingly trustworthy and knowledgable PCO and letting a lot of angst go, but keeping up with bagged clothes a little longer to satisfy my neuroses and fear.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Apr 28 2018 0:31:42
    #

Login to Send PM

So glad things are looking up!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,899 posts in 45,902 topics over 140 months by 20,218 of 21,024 members. Latest: pollydoll227, Yo987456, ilovefloral