The Dilemma of Choosing a PCO

(17 posts)
  1. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 23:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I know all the right questions to ask a PCO from the FAQs. I know all the warning signs of someone that doesn't know what they're doing. My problem, however, is the first step: getting a list of potentials to call. I live in CT and have done a google local search and called a few people but can't find anyone at the right level to get my infestation taken care of.

We need some sort of trusted PCO directory. I know the recommendation thing gets a little hairy with abusers and misinformation, but even just a list of names and phone numbers and then the individual bedbugger could form their own opinion.

I can't be the first person on here from CT...

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 7 2008 0:13:20
    #

Login to Send PM

LastMeal,

When there is no referral, the best thing is to dig through mentions in the press and such. And of course the web.

Check out the credits at the end of this fact sheet: http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?Q=403914&A=2815

Yale Pest helped write it. If you go to their website, they have listed Dr. Austin Frishman as "providing regular training and support" -- I'm trying to think of what would be a comparable analogy but it's late and I hope you get the picture or google for more.

Stern Environmental also apparently works in Connecticut to judge from their website.

Needless to say, I don't know anything about Yale Pest and I am not affiliated with them and I am not recommending them! Ditto for Stern--except that I know that there have been people here who have used them or consulted them and you can search and read for yourself.

Good luck!

3. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 0:17:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nomo, these leads look like exactly what I'm looking for.

4. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 18:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to expand a bit a couple of obvious things for others who may be reading and who have to do this kind of investigation to find a PCO.

It's worth noting that even a 'superstar' company may have less than stellar technicians. And it's ALL about the technicians who actually come to your home, their patience and thoroughness and professionalism. But you at least have the hope that the protocol is solid and that you can work with the company to correct any problems that arise.

And there are small companies unremarked by the press which may be better than the larger companies.

And sometimes fame is undeserved or presumably earned for non-bedbug work. One person here is being treated by a recognized company in their state and yet they are way uninformed about bedbugs.

5. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 19:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, LM, I forgot to mention that Stern has this new service, Cryonite, which they are heavily promoting and may offer to you. But, while there have been many discussions here about the merits, we don't know of anyone who has had their home treated with Cryonite, so before you ask, no we don't know of any reviews or information other than the discussions here in the forums and in the blog.

Best...

6. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 14:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-

I had Stern come to my house on January 30th and they did a very thorough job with the cryonite, they treated all the beds and nightstands and they laid down some residual chemicals along all the baseboards. Before they began the treatment they also did a very thorough vacuuming (that option cost extra but my house is pretty big and with all the bagging/shelf clearing I didn't have time). Prior to leaving they encased all the mattresses and boxsprings with casings. They came back one week later on Feb. 6th for a follow-up treatment. This time they treated the master bedroom (no one sleeps in the other bedrooms but an occasional guest which we have not had recently), my home office and the family room which we do a lot of hanging out in.

I did not have one bite during that week between the 1st treatment and the 2nd. But weirdly since the 2nd visit on Feb. 6th we've been getting bitten. On Feb. 7th I had two small bites on my ankle and then yesterday Feb 8th I had 4 very small bites on my stomach. Several days after their 1st treatment I felt confident enough to take the vaseline off the bed posts. Upon being bitten again, I promptly reapplied the vaseline and called Stern. I called 1st thing in the morning on Friday and they were there by the afternoon. They stripped all the slipcovers off the furniture and stripped the bed in the master and retreated with Cryonite as well as the rug under the bed, the baseboards around the main sleeping area and the nightstands. They were very responisive which makes me feel like we will be able to lick it ultimately but as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on cryonite. I will continue to post to let people know how I ultimately make out with it. If we continue to get bites I will ask Stern to put down more chemicals. Whatever it takes.

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 16:33:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When you ask for more chemical could you ask for replies to some of the threads on cryonite?

Interestingt o note though that both systems were used.

David

8. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 18:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry David...I don't understand your question. Please rephrase.

9. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 18:36:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I tagged this discussion cryonite so that you can find the other relevant posts. There is also a cryonite post in the blog.

10. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 24 2008 20:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

St. Barths Bites,

I'm still waiting to hear how the Cryonite went...hope all's well.

11. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 25 2008 9:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Cryonite...hmmm...lately I've been referring to it as "Cry-at-Night". To me jury is still out on Cryonite. PCO has been here 4 times. After the 1st 3 visits I would un-isolate my bed (take off risers and vaseline)and then get bit within one-two nights. I had two dogs (Radar and Jada) come through the house with Carl over the weekend. Both dogs found the same 2 hot spots. Stern came out that very same day to re-treat several of the rooms with Cryonite and specifically the 2 hot-spots with Phantom at my request. I must say I am happy with Stern Environmental's response time and complete honoring of their 2 month guarantee to re-treat when needed. I feel that they are on my team and very responsive. I don't know if they should be re-treating the entire house or not at this point. They did a big whole house treatment on Jan. 30th and a small focused follow-up on Feb 6th. I had them back on Feb 8th for another limited follow-up after getting bites immediately after their follow-up and then the 4th treatment a few days ago. Wilson, the tech doing the work, is shocked and amazed and claims that he very, very rarely has to do 4 treatments. Not sure how that is possible after reading the many posts on this website but if he licked in this past 4th treatment he will be my new Best Friend Forever.

12. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 25 2008 22:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

StBarths,

Thanks for the Cryonite update. Do you know what chemical they used for that initial visit? I'm also curious to see if you have any luck with Phantom.

I find it interesting that you got both Radar and Jada at the same time. Any particular reason? I had Jada visit my place, but I was convinced that she missed a couple of spots.

Stern's customer service sounds stellar. As for the 2-month guarantee, does this mean they'll come right away as many times as needed within that time frame?

13. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 9:24:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Needtosleep and St.Bart's,
    I have tried Phantom and in my opinion it's useless against bb's.It takes too long to kill them and there are studies saying it may increase egg production and this fits with what I saw.The studies I mention say 20 days to kill,that's a lot of eggs being laid in that time period.Supposedly (the reason I chose it) it will have a domino effect in the harborages,I doubt it.Nothing I saw led me to believe this is true.I have since switched products,with much more success than I saw with Phantom.It was a worth a try,but I don't it didn't pan out as far as I'm concerned.My advice would be don't bother with it and stick to the tried and true bb labeled choices.In case you're wondering I did 3 treatments with Phantom to give it a fair chance at 2 week intervals.

14. LastMeal

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 11:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

What did you switch to? Is it working?

15. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 11:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Need to Sleep: I had Radar sniff around the house for 45 minutes and he hit on 2 spots. He went back out to the car and Jada came in and sniffed around quite a bit as well. She hit the same 2 spots as Radar. I used 2 dogs solely for the added sense of confidence. With respect to Stern, they provide 2 treatments (one week apart. I am guessing that their reason for 1 week vs. 2 weeks for re-treat is the assumption that Cryonite kills the eggs so there should be no new nymphs hatching). The "package" (my term...not theirs) I purchased included Cryonite and pesticide and 2 month guarantee. They have been very, very responsive and accommodating in coming back to re-treat when we got new bites.

16. evie11

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 7 2008 13:00:09
    #

Login to Send PM

St. BarthsBites, hows it going? Stern is coming by tomorrow to treat with Cryonite, I have had two other companies with no luck, I've been goign through this for approx. 2 years on and off and I'm still going through this nightmare! Worst part, my daughter 7yrs old) is the ONLY being affected ... I am so frustrated. I really hope you had success with Stern , please let me know what happend and if you finally got results, i see you posted two months ago, so I'm hoping you or someone sees this and tells me what happend . if anyone has had success with cryonite, please write to me, at vanysmom@yahoo.com! --evie11

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 7 2008 21:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

evie,
    St.Barths has written about the rest of his/her course of treatment. Click the word "member" under a person's name to see threads they've contributed to. If the threads were properly tagged, you can also click "Cryonite" at top right to see other threads on this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325