The David Cain Approach

(11 posts)
  1. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 2:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Two apologies: first I'm sorry if I'm re-hashing things I could discover on my own, I feel add I'd I have already sought and come up empty.
    Second, for those who disagree with the David Cain approach, sorry, but the other things I've tried aren't working.

Calamity_Jane - 1 day ago  » 
    So I'm tempted to take the encasement off and buy a steamer and some passive monitors. I've actually spent a lot of time online looking for the protocol that David Cain uses, do I need to buy his book? I mean what I have gotten so far is to leave the bed unisolated and steam the mattress/box spring. Beyond that I am looking for the nests and when I find them I'm unclear as to what to do.
    Perhaps this is not the right approach for some people but I have been doing chemical treatment, plus an isolated bed (until it tore), steam, DE, and heat treating personal items. Mr. Cain has said that in a hotel they can get rid of a minor infestation in under an hour. Where do i get the training to treat my house so that in a day or two I am breathing easier?

To add insult to injury, contrary to what some PCO's say, tonight I'm relatively sure I've found them in my car (fecal spots on the back seat, and dead bugs in my dome light cover). I've had it!

2. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 6:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. If theyre in your car chances are it's a bigger infestation. Unlikely though, more like where it came from.

Although I'm not familiar with the D Cain approach im sure some of the walkthroughs anyone here can link you to is just as good or better.

Torn bed - duct tape it and anywhere you think is tearing.

Treating a house isn't the hardest thing ever. Have a look at yt tutorials a few times. You'll get it. Just make sure to spread out the dust.

I don't know about treating a car though.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 7:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Meowgoesthecat - 1 hour ago  » 
    Okay. If theyre in your car chances are it's a bigger infestation. Unlikely though, more like where it came from.
    Although I'm not familiar with the D Cain approach im sure some of the walkthroughs anyone here can link you to is just as good or better.
    Treating a house isn't the hardest thing ever. Have a look at yt tutorials a few times. You'll get it. Just make sure to spread out the dust.

Stop giving advice. You came here because you couldn't make an ID, how can you possibly think you're helping by giving your opinion?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 10:32:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Calamity_Jane - 8 hours ago  » 
    Two apologies: first I'm sorry if I'm re-hashing things I could discover on my own, I feel add I'd I have already sought and come up empty.
    Second, for those who disagree with the David Cain approach, sorry, but the other things I've tried aren't working.

Calamity_Jane - 1 day ago  » 
    So I'm tempted to take the encasement off and buy a steamer and some passive monitors. I've actually spent a lot of time online looking for the protocol that David Cain uses, do I need to buy his book? I mean what I have gotten so far is to leave the bed unisolated and steam the mattress/box spring. Beyond that I am looking for the nests and when I find them I'm unclear as to what to do.
    Perhaps this is not the right approach for some people but I have been doing chemical treatment, plus an isolated bed (until it tore), steam, DE, and heat treating personal items. Mr. Cain has said that in a hotel they can get rid of a minor infestation in under an hour. Where do i get the training to treat my house so that in a day or two I am breathing easier?

To add insult to injury, contrary to what some PCO's say, tonight I'm relatively sure I've found them in my car (fecal spots on the back seat, and dead bugs in my dome light cover). I've had it!

The dead bugs in dome light cover were removed and positively IDd as bed bugs? Or is this just a guess?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 10:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Meowgoesthecat - 4 hours ago  » 

I realize that you want to help, but you're not helping because you don't have the proper knowledge to offer advice.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 10:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Post a few images of what you've found, a dome light cover seems like an odd location.

7. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 11:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Lou and BigDummy I'm headed out to clean out my car and get a closer look. I haven't got my dome light off yet and I'm crossing my fingers it's just carpet beetles, but the fecal traces I've found don't resemble carpet beetles dung. I'll post photos later. For now just going clean car.

Meow, I believe this infestation came from our garage where we put some luggage in the rafters after a trip that involved an overnight stay in Los Angeles. They were placed in black garbage bags directly over a car seat which I installed sometime in early to mid July. I have to get them down to see. The bites started right around that time and I've positively ID'd BBs on my bed before wrapping.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 14:16:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Calamity_Jane - 1 day ago »

When you find a harborage, you can remove bed bugs and detritus with a vacuum. (Make sure you use the panty hose trick or otherwise decon the vacuum).

One thing is, I don't think David's team _only_ steams the mattress and box.

I can't speak for what his team does, but they likely treat the bed frame, and sofas, other furniture and likely even baseboards and other hiding spaces.

Just because David's teams can clear an infestation in one visit (which I suspect is either longer than an hour or involves a lot more than one worker), doesn't mean you can. Remember they are working with much more experience.

That said, others here have cleared infestations with just steam and DE. (If you aren't yet using DE, consider Cimexa, which is available in North America, if you're there.)

Our steam FAQ may be helpful:
    http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/pest-control/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

And the DE FAQ also:
    http://Bedbugger.com/faqde/

Bed bugs can get into cars and I don't think any expert here has said it never happens. They have said it's unusual. If you've given rides to people who were walking around with bed bugs on them (which is very unusual, but pastors and social workers are examples of people I've known who've done this), or you placed infested items in the car, it could happen.

It's certainly possible but it is not the most hospitable place, and they're not likely to want to live there as they would in a home. Empty cars parked in the sun in summer get quite hot. Not hot enough to treat things you own in black bags (as some think), but hot enough to probably make a bed bug want to leave.

Lou and BigDummy are giving good advice on the car so I will leave that to them. Remember you can steam the car seats and floor coverings.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 19:23:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Also-- this video from longtime forum user EffeCi (Franco Casini) demonstrates steaming using the Cimex Eradicator (the steamer he and David Cain use). This gives an idea of his technique and what sort of places he steams-- and even with a less fancy steamer, a lot of this is going to be the same. Don't worry-- you don't need to know Italian to follow it.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

10. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2016 1:14:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 
    Also-- this video from longtime forum user EffeCi (Franco Casini) demonstrates steaming using the Cimex Eradicator (the steamer he and David Cain use). This gives an idea of his technique and what sort of places he steams-- and even with a less fancy steamer, a lot of this is going to be the same. Don't worry-- you don't need to know Italian to follow it.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

Ha ha ha, but it would be fun to practice Italian. I want one of those machines, just not ready to shell out for one. Believe me, if I thought I could master the Vain technique, I'd totally go for a franchise and buy one of those steamers. In the meantime, today I vacuumed my caresume and tomorrow I'm going to shampoo the entire interior, trunk too. I was already planning to do this and GeekOnTheHill's website confirmed that this is a valid strategy. I believe it has been hit enough to kill a few bus in the car, hence, whatever is dead in the dome light, which I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks so much for weighing in. Patience and persistence seem to be the virtues du jour. I guess I'm developing both.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2016 2:12:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- persistence is a biggie.

I want one of those machines too! A lot of us miss Franco around here -- he is a real hoot.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982