The clothes!!!

(11 posts)
  1. Thistooshallpass

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2013 21:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

How did everyone live out of garbage bags for weeks??? We are a family of 4 and I can't find anything! My living room looks like a garbage dump.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2013 21:15:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Are they clear garbage bags? I've read of people using clear contractor bags. Ziplocs are more expensive so I mostly use those for traveling.

Moms may have some better ideas.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. cazzap06

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2013 21:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you - It is just me here and I threw out most of my clothes which probably wasn't necessary but it felt better to do it...

Got rid of 3 more bags of clothes today so am living with the bare minimum

I use the orange bags I get for recycling or have just started using some clear ones but it is easier because I have less

If you keep it to the bare minimum it might help but sometimes because I have DE absolutely everywhere I haven't ALWAYS bagged my dirty clothes , just the clean ones

Its all so strange now because I have been living like this for so long now I can't even imagine what it is like NOT to live like this and it might take me a while to stop the habit even when its all clear for a while

Plastic is my new best friend and I think I now hate cardboard and wood for life! lol xx

4. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2013 22:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I know how you feel.... family of 5 in Canada we don't have the xxl ziplocks so i resorted to investing in the cheap suction bags they have at Walmart. I first sorted the clothes, then put stuff they could live without in garbage bags and put them in the far bedroom . In each pack there were several sizes. One for socks, undies then shirts and shorts, then jeans and sweats shirts. they had 5 of each . It became a bit bulky so i would suction them and pile them lol . They unzipped in morning i rezipped ans suctioned. Now all clothes are back in rooms except for my sons, im still leary of his room. Now i have all these bags im suctioning my linen after washing and storing it , everyone gets one set of sheets .
    The clear bags made my life 100 percent better, when my little one asked for the purple tshirt i could see it without taking everything apart . i needed one set for each kid.

5. Louise

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 0:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

arianacassie - 1 hour ago  » 
    in Canada we don't have the xxl ziplocks so i resorted to investing in the cheap suction bags they have at Walmart. .

I'm in Canada and I've seen (and purchased) the XXL ziplock bags (and other large sizes).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/StorageOrganization/ContainersBinsTotes/PRDOVR~0530261P/Ziploc+Extra-Extra-Large+Heavy-Duty+Storage+Bags,+3-Pk.jsp?locale=en

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ziploc-big-bags-xxl-double-zipper/821925

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ziploc-big-bags-4-x-large-bags/10025674

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 1:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to say. When I travel, I found some white kitchen bags...clear would be better and I put everything...top, pants, underwear socks for one day...write Monday and tie with a cable tie.

7. RWhit

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 7:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I did the giant ziplock route. Living out of bags sucks. I did it for about 5 weeks, and the unpacking everything sucks just as bad!

What TAOT said is awesome advice. You could do that for you and your children. It's a good way to stay organized too.

Good news I guess is they are re-usable. I use them for storage now. I also keep some in my car to put clothing purchases in until I get home to wash them. So many uses for them.

8. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 8:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Louise - 8 hours ago  » 

in Canada we don't have the xxl ziplocks so i resorted to investing in the cheap suction bags they have at Walmart. .

I'm in Canada and I've seen (and purchased) the XXL ziplock bags (and other large sizes).
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/StorageOrganization/ContainersBinsTotes/PRDOVR~0530261P/Ziploc+Extra-Extra-Large+Heavy-Duty+Storage+Bags,+3-Pk.jsp?locale=en
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ziploc-big-bags-xxl-double-zipper/821925
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ziploc-big-bags-4-x-large-bags/10025674

Lucky me, i have 4 walmarts within 20 min of me and none have it have checked them all. The home depot never thought of to be honest , and the local canadian tire didnt have them either, but im happy with the suction ones because the size can be reduced so its not as bulky and then can be reused after for storage of winter/summer clothes when not in use (at roughly the same cost as the xxl bags)

9. Louise

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 10:17:57
    #

Login to Send PM

< Lucky me, i have 4 walmarts within 20 min of me and none have it have checked them all.

No kidding? Well, that's annoying. Perhaps Ziplock needs to pick up the pace on their production of these things.

I'm glad you found something that works well for you.

(Edited to add for future readers of this thread: You could always order the bags online. I suspect the warehouses of these stores will be much better stocked than an individual store.)

10. Thistooshallpass

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 10:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the ideas. I am going to "re-sort" this weekend to try and make it easier. Luckily we have a pretty mild case of bb so I'm thinking 4-5 weeks until I can put them away. Even then I may put the XL ziplocks IN the drawers!

11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 10:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I use large ziplocs that I buy on Amazon for my unmentionables, and use that for a days worth of clothes when flying vs driving.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs