Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

The Balance between Caution and Paranoia

(3 posts)
  1. manue

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 8 2018 16:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

This is more a rant than a question, although I am interested in hearing how others deal with the fear of BB on a more ongoing basis.

My partner and I travel a lot both for work and for pleasure. We had a BB incident in 2012 that turned out to be quite minor in retrospect, even though I lost sleep for over two weeks and read through all the information I could find here (thanks for the wealth of information). At the time, he came back from a work function unsuspecting and covered in bites. We promptly got a professional treatment and had no other issues.

Since then I've been cautious when travelling. I inspect the bed (honestly, I do it rather quickly, I don't take it apart), I don't leave suitcases on beds, I wash clothes promptly when I return, and I inspect my suitcases and my skin closely. I know that I react strongly to BB bites (all bites really), so at least an infestation can't really sneak up on me.

Fast forward to last week, we were in South America and it seems that things were going fine until we went to the beach. I think that there were bugs in the sand. I came back with a dozen of really itchy bites, which set my paranoia in motion. I washed everything from the trip, vacuumed my suitcase when I finally brought it in after a week in a sealed bag. I'm still itchy and can't tell if I'm getting new bites or if it's still the same old ones lingering. I just took apart my mattress and bed frame, and inspected / vacuumed every nook and cranny. No sign of bugs. I'm ordering a passive monitor and a flea treatment for my cat, and I will monitor my bed closely. All in all, I'm annoyed that I might have let my guard down and that I won't sleep well for the next few days.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 9 2018 9:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The beach, especially at dusk can get you eaten up by little fellows that we refer to as "no-see-ums" here in Florida.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. Pattycake

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 9 2018 14:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I had bites while on a trip to Florida. Everyone there said they were sand flea bites. They did take a very long time to go away. Hope that’s all that’s “bugging you”.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,182 posts in 46,249 topics over 140 months by 20,387 of 21,218 members. Latest: dontpanic, Koroifox, plzgodnoz