Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Thank you, experts, who give your time. I know I'm not the only one!

(14 posts)
  1. bbinbackpack

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 22:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Last month, I found a (fed) bed bug nymph crawling on the edge of my sheet as I was googling "why am I getting a rash at night?" (or something along those lines). I trapped it, I ID'd it, and I KILLED IT before I realized what I was doing. The next day, I visited with a family friend who had successfully thwarted bed begs in her infested complex. I know 80% of the advice she gave me was overkill (NOW), but at the time, I followed it. When I encased my mattress, I found another bed bug nymph on the boxspring, and I KILLED that SOB. Sorry no pic to ID.
    Since encasing the bed in the first part of August, I've found no other physical proof of bedbugs. I still have laundered everything. I bag my clothes into outfits for work and the gym and I STILL dry those pre-washed, pre-dryed clothes for at least 30 minutes on high before I put them on, and I don't sit or linger in my house after I'm dressed if I'm going out. I've relayed my fears to a few friends, my vet (I work too damn much, which makes my dogs the principal food source at home), and I've gone crazy on here.
    I think most of us have a natural "shudder" reaction when we hear someone say they think they have bedbugs. (In fact, my best friend and I have started calling them "Voldemorts" because it's more comfortable for us to use that term and she's better able to talk to me about my concerns, and it's easier for me to open up as well; in fact, along with Voldemort I've also compared myself to Dana Barrett in "Ghostbusters", where she KNOWS there's an alternate universe in her fridge, but no one will take her seriously.) The very few I've opened up to about my concerns have been nothing but supportive, proof I have amazing friends, and here I've found people who are willing to listen (but not entertain) and offer their expert help for free.
    Saturday, I caught a confirmed red velvet mite in my car. Later that day, as I was inspecting my bedding, I found debris brought in from my dogs. Among the grass bits and seed pods, I found tiny, shiny, black THINGS moving around. I trapped them in a climbup, but didn't have a camera capable of really capturing a close-up with the white background.
    I posted my best pics, and Lou responded to confirm my belief what I was looking at was NOT bed bugs, but the images weren't sharp enough for a definitive ID.
    On a whim, I called my local nature center after I'd found the red mite. The girl who answered the phone was supportive without being definitive, as I've found here and with my friends. She advised I bring the red blurb in this week for an ID.
    After finding the shiny black somethings, I left them in the climbup, put saran wrap around that, put THAT into a tupperware container and then put THAT into a plastic bag (neurotic, table for 1, please?) and then put the entire concoction in my fridge. I had also lint-rolled the bed and couch and found more of the somethings. Those lint roll sheets went into a bag and then the bag went into a bag and were also placed in the fridge.
    Monday I again called the nature center. I spoke with a different lady who was also amazing on the phone. She advised I come in and see ____________ (I won't say this person's name, given the outcome). I asked if I should make an appointment, what the charge was for the ID, etc. She told me no appointment necessary, happy to help, no charge, donation box available if I was happy. I pulled $100 out of savings before visiting the center. Yes, less than what most local companies charge to come out, but more than a single person with a mortgage, car loan, credit cards, and student loans has, but worth it for answers.
    I went to the nature center. The person I was told I needed was on a conference call. Meanwhile, three workers ID'd the red mite, but were baffled by the shiny black whatnots. One girl said "I can see one of them moving aggressively, definitely NOT happy to be stuck, but I have no clue what it could be."
    When ____ was off the phone, the same girl went to get him. Here's another amateur mistake I (apparently) made: I disclosed my fear of having seen a bed bug. The entomologist, revered by all, came out of his office. He had a jeweler's screw in his hand. He looked in the climbup for TWO SECONDS, looked at me, said "Nothing in there, it's dirt, you're being paranoid" and THEN tossed a DEAD BED BUG AT ME and said "Here's what bed bugs REALLY look like, maybe you should spend some money on an exterminator if you're concerned" and then walked away. The girl who commented on the emphatic legs didn't say a word. No one did. His word was law, and I had wasted everyone's time on dirt. One of the people I'd been talking to collected the bed bug (I will say it was in a plastic bag, I'm thankful for that) and said to me "I hope you got the answers you need."
    I re-bagged my samples and left the nature center in tears. This person did nothing but tickle my hyper-sensitive, freaked-out nerves. On my way to the parking lot, I saw him jumping into his car and peeling away.
    I don't know if he had a bad conference call. I don't know if I made him late for an important meeting, dinner, etc. What I DO know is, in my job, if I'd treated a panicked customer like that, I would have found myself in my supervisor's office facing a paid suspension. My employer lets us get away with MURDER towards each other, but make the public unhappy, it's hell to pay. I'm sure I'm not alone in that situation.
    The whatnots in the climbup are still moving. I've decided Friday (I am taking an out-of-state-trip, and yes, I'm taking all the precautions I can), I'll take these things to the local extension office and see if I can get a more friendly ID before leaving town.
    Thanks to this site, i know what they're NOT. Thanks to this site, I've been thinking more logically, keeping a "ticker" of days in green (no bites), yellow (suspicious activity) and red (BITES!) on my chalkboard wall. I've been documenting any yellow activity; no red at this point.
    Long story (I ramble) short, I just want to take a moment to say THANK YOU to all the entomologists, PCOs/PMPs, and experts that give their free time to us. Thank you for being blunt, but promising. Thank you for being assertive that what we are seeing in our panic is NOT bed bug related. Thank you for confirming our worst fears in a direct way when it IS bed bug related. Thank you for not telling us we're crazy. Thank you for looking at 10 pictures of book lice in a row and STILL taking the time to look at pic 11 because it might be something different.
    Thank you for GIVING. Thank you for having "bedside" manner and treating us seriously. Thank you for not sending us away with more questions than answers. THANK YOU for being YOU. THANK YOU.
    It's a rant of a post, but it's meant to have heart. I mean it. Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I might not be 100% in the clear in my mind, but with the help of this site, I feel like I'm still in the "A" range and understand how to form a personal game plan to get to that 100%.
    Thank you, nobugsonme for starting the site,, and thank you pros. You're more help than you could ever imagine. Put an "A+ " symbol somewhere you can see it daily for when you need a reminder. I know I'm not the only one who thanks you from the bottom of her cold, dark, possibly-bedbug-bitten heart.
    THANK YOU.

2. triangle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 23:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I completely agree. I came to this site for what now seems to have been a bb false alarm, but I've found myself sticking around. I'm kind of fascinated by how well this site manages to contain panic and paranoia using real information and extraordinarily patient experts.

Also, that's awful that the entomologist treated you like that. But that detail about the bug being in a ziploc... could have come earlier in the story. Heh.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2016 6:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bbinbackpack:
    Just glad to help but also teach. Person should be able to understand the ID and compare to bed bug pictures so differences/similarities can be understood. No reason for future panic.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 16 2016 23:06:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bbinbackpack,

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I am SO, SO sorry you had such an awful experience. I had some bad ones too back in the day, which is partly why I started the site.

Bedbugger.com wouldn't be here today without our many experts who've come and gone and in some cases stayed and stayed and stayed, and who are -- every last one of them-- very much appreciated.

I am glad you know you're not dealing with bed bugs and I hope you
    can find a friendly and knowledgeable extension office. We have a link to find them in the Bed Bug "Resources" tab at the top of the page, if you need it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bbinbackpack

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2016 23:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I just realized I forgot to post a follow-up, and that was wrong of me. I made myself not check the site every hour on the hour to read the forum, and after a while of reigning in other more-extreme-than-normal OCD behavior this incident has spurred in me, I got to a place where I didn't NEED to remind myself, and then I fell off the PTSD wagon back into my version of Normalsville.
    I dropped my bugs off at the extension office before heading out of state for a weekend that turned out to be blissfully exactly what I needed (after, of course, going over the rental with a fine-tooth comb): my best friend and I, a cabin rental, a hot tub, a random road trip that took us into two other states and down some beautiful back roads, grilled steak, whiskey and wine. Perfect.
    I came home rested and happy... and was "carpet crawling" 20 minutes later. I had laid out a few glue traps near the bed and couch before I left. They were flawless, and there was nothing in the climbups. This would be over a month since my first sighting and my whirlwind treatment mistakes.
    I went for a walk and I started doing the math in my head. I'm not a fan of numbers. But I forced myself to do it, and calculated from the date of the first sighting to that night. I realized how many of the little jerks would be in my house by then, even supposing I only had ONE male and ONE female that somehow survived the ArmageddonI reigned down and were reproducing. Absolutely impossible for me not to have physical evidence other than bites.
    When I got home, I was covered in mosquito bites that I documented (go figure; I spend a weekend away in places I'm never at that were both humid and woodsy, didn't get a single bite; I cross back into my state and the bugs all hear the dinner bell). I then calmly took a shower and calmly put myself in bed. I told myself I was either going to be fine from this day on because there was no longer anything in my bed to fear, or I was going to be fine from this day on because I would have a sighting and I would deal with it responsibly. I've been telling myself the first part every day since.
    I heard back from the extension office a couple days later. The lady I spoke with was friendly, and dynamic, and not at ALL like my ol' friend at the nature center. What I had in the samples wasn't dirt at all (GEE, REALLY??!??!!?) but young, TINY brown dog ticks. We talked about what I needed to do: keep the dogs religiously treated with flea/tick oral medication from the vet, establish a good vacuum routine, keep things tidy, keep the dog bedding washed weekly, etc.
    I still can't sleep without either the bedside light on or "Futurama" auto-playing on netflix. I don't know when that will change, but I know that I've been here before after a bad breakup, or a particularly stressful work week, etc. And I've been okay, every time, and even back to "normal", every time, on my time.
    My climbups have stayed empty other than the occasional piece of dog hair and debris, minus the black shiny spider beetle I posted not long ago. I don't see myself putting them away any time soon, but I'm okay with that.
    I still have a light dusting of DE down around my baseboards. I plan on making my newest project the room-by-room removal of the DE and caulking of the baseboards, doors, windows, etc. Maybe it's not necessary, but hey, it's economical on the energy bills they say, and if it makes me feel better... why not?
    I still haven't invited anyone over to the house other than my mom and the closest friends I told about my situation. Overkill? Perhaps. But with my crazy 50-60 hour work weeks, it's easy to tell people I'd rather go out for some fresh air and catch up over dinner or meet a group for bowling. And they all seem okay with that, too.
    I've still kept my chalk tally board: green strikes for fine days with no activity, yellow for weird activity, red for definite BB-related activity. No red marks since I started tracking. I had a yellow mark 8 days ago, but that was also after having all the windows open in the house several weeks with the start of fall, and the two spots I woke up to were gone before lunch and nothing like my first bites. I only ticked the yellow to make sure a pattern didn't emerge that would indicate a BB feeding pattern. Prior to that yellow mark was 25 green marks, and smooth sailing ever since.
    Funnily enough, my friend with the backpack suddenly tried to re-enter my life. I've let him know in no uncertain terms that a friend wouldn't pick a fight over a movie, ghost for three months plus, and then call out of the blue like nothing happened unless they fell into a coma the night of said fight, or weren't really a friend worth having to begin with. I've still never point blank accused or suggested him of being HOW this happened, but here's what I know with certainty: it hasn't continued. I'd like to keep it that way.
    I kind of like being able to sit peacefully in my home, and feel safe and secure again. Sure, the couch is now always going to be about 3-6 inches away from the wall, but who cares? It's a big room. Better view of the television from here.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 0:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the follow-up-- I am going to move this to success stories!

You will get back to normal. I slept with the light on for a while. It will get better.

7. bbinbackpack

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2016 22:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

As always, thank you for all the kind words and reassurances. It's so good to have this site and the amazing people who visit it and contribute.

8. Conwny

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 0:25:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bbinbackpack, can I just say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. You write like I do when I'm not neurotically listing my latest worries on this forum. I'm happy you have a success story to share, and ditto on the appreciation for this site. I will be forever grateful for everyone here. I've even made some long distance friends thanks to this forum. Who woulda thunk?

9. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 13:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting about the dog ticks. I have had 2 on me this year. I had not considered a pregnant female tick or walking by a tick nest and more than one jumping on me

10. itchynurse2016

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 8:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

This site has been invaluable to me! It is a wealth of information. It has kept me sane to know that others are going through the same thing. Especially when friends and family are either afraid to be near me from fear of catching bed bugs, or think I'm paranoid.

11. plsnobugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 29 2016 8:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I would second the thank you. I would hire one of them if I could!

12. Goingcrazy98

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 11:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm new but scared......found bb a week ago my pco says I'm at 1.5 on a scale from 1 to ten but this has made me crazy I've lost sleep I look at everything now......do these ever go away???? I cancelled thanksgiving worried what people will think am I crazy???? He says it's isolated to my room but I'm not convinced how do I relax??? Is that possible???

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 0:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Goingcrazy98 - 13 hours ago  » 
    I'm new but scared......found bb a week ago my pco says I'm at 1.5 on a scale from 1 to ten but this has made me crazy I've lost sleep I look at everything now......do these ever go away???? I cancelled thanksgiving worried what people will think am I crazy???? He says it's isolated to my room but I'm not convinced how do I relax??? Is that possible???

Goingcrazy98,
    Please start a new thread to discuss your situation. If you aren't sure how to do that, this should help: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-use-the-forums

14. Goingcrazy98

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 9:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago  » 

Goingcrazy98 - 13 hours ago  » 

Goingcrazy98,
    Please start a new thread to discuss your situation. If you aren't sure how to do that, this should help: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-use-the-forums

Thank you!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie