Testing the Waters Now (DIY)

(12 posts)
  1. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2017 17:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

First, I want to say how immensely this board has helped me. The respect I have for the experts, the courage to the ones fighting this on all levels (DIY or PCO). I will pop in every once in awhile, hopefully to just check on some that I know are still treating in some way, and not because of any reinfestation!

Anyway, my ordeal began in September, we are about 90 percent sure of the source, but really a moot point now. When you get them, you get them. I did not know the nature of bedbugs as much as I thought. We were ones who made a major mistake. Upon finding them in the bedroom (bed skirt and top head and side of mattress when I went to strip the sheets, pulling back the mattress cover- we threw out our mattress and boxsprings-yikes!

So on a budget of facing to treat and replace these items, we had no option but to research and do DIY, which is where I found this wonderful forum, thankfully before any further major mistakes were made, ie foggers. I lurked around the forums for awhile reading everything, before I even joined.

Yes, as others, I lost tons of sleep, fretted, cried, overwhelmed over money, decluttering. My marriage seriously took a toll, as my husband was very passive about helping, as I was just so distraught that with each day that passed, I knew more eggs would be laid, more bugs. He finally jumped on board when I was packing up my 2 jumbo size bags of clothing and was willing to leave everything else behind. Nothing mattered at that point.

Finally, with he on board and my daughter, we purged and decluttered the entire house. I had been wanting a deep purge before the bbs came to live with us, and that is the only good that came from this ordeal. Years of clothes of 3 different sizes, the lose weight, present weight and the if I gain weight clothes tossed to the present weight. The adage of if it was not wore in a year, it goes. I personally could not bear the thought of even wanting to keep some of those and tossed them too.
    Rest was hot washed and dried, and I gave awesome dividends to anyone who has stock in ziploc bags. We are presently still living out of the bags-partly as I'm not calling this 100 percent clear yet, but has been about 7 weeks no signs fecal, nymphs, adults. Our water bill more than doubled.

Mind you, either way you go, this even being DIY isn't cheap, or wasn't for me. Partly our fault with the mattress and boxsprings fiasco.

Well during the wait time of ordering bags out the wahzoo, the insecticide (don't think I'm allowed to name it), pump sprayer, goggles, respirator mask, gloves, silica gel desiccant dust (the one that is mostly only readily available in the US only), bellow, small paint brushes, a dry vapor steamer (big purchase) well worth it, climb ups, encasements for mattress and boxsprings x3 for each bedroom, and of course, some alcohol, the type to help me first deal with it and also to not give a _ _ _ _ when things were tossed, I lost the attachment to them.

Sweeping consistently, laundry daily basis, multiple loads.

The dry vapor steamer was first used everywhere, baseboards, under baseboards best as could, the sofa- yes it came in to play, from our initial freak of throwing the other out, and yes they followed quite quickly to find us sleeping on the sofa and infested yet more rooms and furniture. I steamed the everything possible, but found good uses for it other than combating bbs, was good investment.
    Then did they spraying of insecticide around perimeter of rooms, inside closets, bathrooms, and only the underside of sofa, and back only where the seams met, I did not surface spray anything that would have skin contact. I did buy a residual spray that I used for the tufts and seams of the cushions, zippers, etc. Then allowed it to dry, and painstakingly bellowed the dust ever so lightly and used the small brush to get the best I could under baseboards, under sofa (areas that would not be disturbed or in contact with skin), around legs of furniture, around door jambs and in every wall voids of electrical boxes and light switches. I repeated this per manufacturer's label directions in 10 days on the insecticide, and reapplied the silica gel desiccant dust (steamed the sofa a second time too). The knockdown was quick, but the vigilance was still extremely high, and this does take a very mental and physical toll on one's body if you have things stored away). I repeated the process one more time after that again in 10 days except the steam. I was still sleep deprived as the constant checking, and waking up numerous times during the night, scanning my pillows, clothing, arms, legs, covers.

I'm finally in the stage that for past 2 weeks my body is finally losing this hypervigilance, and I sleep through the night, I don't scan pillows and clothing anymore throughout the night. Feels so good to get a good night's sleep. Linens are done once weekly, with a check of furniture.

I'm removing the interceptors and relying on passive monitors for anything active. Still a bit afraid to take it all out at once, clothes, etc. as I wouldn't know if I did it all at once and it did happen from which thing I overlooked did it come from. It still is a bit of a safety net, but if monitors remain clear, will start unbagging and hanging them up, and out of the bags.

Bit apprehensive knowing that my sprays are over, and wonder about the time period that is longer, just that nagging what if they come out of hiding now mode, but will keep telling myself, I've lived through an infestation, and if it does happen, at least I already have all the tools needed and an extremely tidy house, I could get to work immediately.

Now....back to trying to living my life pre-bb.

Thank you all for words of wisdom, your stories, rather if it was just to vent frustrations, or see how things are going on your experiences. I hope for all of our sakes, that this will only be a one time thing. I was fortunate that this was a single family dwelling. As stated, I will pop in time to time to see how my fellow fighters are doing.

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2017 18:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

So nice to read a DIY success story. Thanks for sharing. And best wishes into the post-bb chapter of your life.

By the way, what steamer did you get?

Account closed
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2017 22:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your success story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2017 22:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! Thanks for telling us.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2017 7:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Congrats and yes its hard work.

In fact none of my expensive ex-city working suits fit me anymore, my upper body has changed shape from years and years of mattress and bed lifting and for someone in their mid 40's I have more stamina and strength than those 20 years younger than me.

However, there is an immense feeling of satisfaction that comes from doing a "tough days work" which its nice to feel as you soak in the bath.

Hopefully your Passive Monitors will remain clear and having them in place means you never need to go through a massively disruptive treatment process again.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2017 12:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay! Keep us updated! I think you can tell which insecticide you used. That's helpful

7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2017 21:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for sharing your story. You are so kind to come back and check on the rest of us. I know you have provided reassurance and commiseration to me as I've gone through this hellish process. Strange to say this but I find the way everyone helps each other out here quite lovely. No matter the chaos going on in the rest of the world, this forum is full of people who help one another and I find that reassuring. Even if I can't sleep because of my fear of the blasted bugs.

8. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2017 9:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 1 day ago  » 
    So nice to read a DIY success story. Thanks for sharing. And best wishes into the post-bb chapter of your life.
    By the way, what steamer did you get?

Thanks Poiqm, I purchased the Vapamore Primo 100 , it's around $300.00. I found I can do my kitchen floors with it, and I have tiled flooring with grout that is a pain to clean in my bathrooms, so for me, I can continue using it for multiple uses.

The steam is hot, and you will feel like you are in a sauna using it. It was during the dead of winter, and I would have to step outside to cool off, and drink some water!

9. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2017 9:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 21 hours ago  » 
    Yay! Keep us updated! I think you can tell which insecticide you used. That's helpful

Thanks and I will keep updated! I used Temprid SC.

10. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2017 9:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    Congrats and yes its hard work.
    In fact none of my expensive ex-city working suits fit me anymore, my upper body has changed shape from years and years of mattress and bed lifting and for someone in their mid 40's I have more stamina and strength than those 20 years younger than me.
    However, there is an immense feeling of satisfaction that comes from doing a "tough days work" which its nice to feel as you soak in the bath.
    Hopefully your Passive Monitors will remain clear and having them in place means you never need to go through a massively disruptive treatment process again.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks David!

I'm mid 50s, so my get up and go, got up and went. No way could I sustain this type of work for a living!

I did find a use for one thing I was throwing out, I found an unopened pleated HEPA filter for my old vacuum I no longer had. I tossed it then thought....wait a minute, I could use these pleated folds and add to my collection of monitors. Don't want anything to go unchecked!

I so hope you are right, that they remain clear, thanks for the encouraging words.

11. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2017 9:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs for this site! No telling where I would have been without it.

Thank you Faye, I hope yours also remain clear, I truly hope the anxiety will dissipate for you.

Thanks Poiqum, Barely, and Ithought for the time to read my story and encouraging words, it means alot.

Hoping for everyone, that this too shall pass.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2017 16:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad we are here, Cleaningtodeath.

For others interested in steam, we have a FAQ on killing bed bugs with steam.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325