Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Terrified to travel now!

(8 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2008 12:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Alright, I think that we are starting to get this mess under control after 2 and a half months. We are still living out of plastic and I will call the dog to sniff again next week, just to be safe. No bites for about a week though.

Now I have to travel for work and I am terrified. What should I do? Just bring ziplocs and a duffle and try to deal. I really don't want this to hinder my life! Thanks for input:)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2008 22:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the FAQs on travel. And keep in mind you may be in more danger of spreading them right now than bringing them home again, so take precautions against both!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2008 4:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the FAQs, but it seems you've come up with most of an answer already. Keep all your things sealed in (double?) Ziplocs while traveling and then dry, dry, wash, dry, wash, torch your duffel before entry into home. (joking, but you get the idea...)

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2008 7:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Travelling is something that we are still need to do, there is no getting away from the fact that although Bed Bugs are a nasty problem to deal with they cant run our lives. The best thing you can do is travel sensibly and be vigilant for the problem. My top travel tips are:

Prepare and plan in advance

1 I always seal my luggage for transport via airports, if your bags are isolated contact with other infected items will not result in transmission into or onto the bags.

2 Check all hotel rooms or beds that you plan on sleeping on. If you do this when your bags are not close to the bed if you find anything then your bags will not be affected and you can move rooms with no worries.

Although I recognise the logic of ziploc bagging everything on the inside of the bags I prefer to take a higher view and seal the bag rather than the contents. I have found that hard cases are better for this than duffle type bags or bags with piping down the sides where they can find a nice comfortable home.

I don’t spray the bags with repellents or spray them down when I get home because I feel that a physical barrier is the best solution.

The best thing is that these simple solutions will cost less than a dollar per trip to implement.

David

5. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2008 2:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

You've kind of answered this before, but I just want to be clear.

When traveling, do you take your hard-sided suitcase as is and consider that "sealed?" Or do you put an additional barrier around it?

Thanks,
    FoF

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2008 3:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi fightorflight,

The short answer to that is it depends where I am traveling. The best way to use this method is to seal always.

On the occasions I have not sealed I have not found bed bugs on the bag when I inspected but that is not to say the bag alone will suffice.

I hope that clarifies things.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2008 12:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a hard suitcase.It can be soaked , no fabric or liner...

I will carry a xxlarge ziplock bag in my purse and put it in when i arrive to or from.

Go to the tub and Kleen or evn used Murphy's ooil soap sterizle it as soon as i get home.
    All contents in another bag inside the suitcase...

What about just keeping your suitcase in the tub or on the bathroom counter..Not on the carpet or any of that.

I think Carpets will be a thing of the past. Icky, when you think about it anyway

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2008 16:40:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Prayforamiricle,

I agree with the physical barrier and really like the suggestion of keeping the suitcase in the bath while at a hotel. If you keep things out of the way of the bed bugs then they are less likely to travel home with you.

I would love to do a study into the possibility and probability of transmitting an infestation in this way but it is not really a very ethical study to perform.

I don't think the idea of no carpets is going to catch on. Having encountered multi year infestations in properties with carpets, wooden floors (painted and unpainted), vinyl flooring and laminate flooring I have to say it makes very little difference having carpet or not. Each type of flooring has it's pro's and con's and they all have different options when treating properties.

I think I would also miss that end of the day toe curl in the carpet. Sorry carpets for room 101 does not get my vote.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur