Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Terrified, anxious, panic attacks

(6 posts)
  1. Terrifiedfighter

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 1:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just had our first treatment from terminex. I found a live bug in my daughter's box springs, which I know is probably normal. It is now encased.
    He just hasn't informed me on much. He will be coming once a month for 5 months to spray.
    In the meantime, I am terrified. I live in constant axiety. I don't want to sit down on my couch. Lay in my bed. I literally got an hour and a half of sleep last night. Left the lights on.
    I can't take the bites anymore. Painful and itchy. I have a job where I'm in physical contact with people daily so they can see the bites. I hate lieing to them.
    I feel so scared. And alone, even though I know I'm totally not alone.
    I feel stalked. I feel like prey....because I am.
    We've seen the most infestation in my 8 year olds bed. And it makes me absolutely sick. Leave my baby alone!
    I'm so completely overwhelmed.
    Her bites aren't bad.
    My fiance has none (or at least no reaction) I have had the bed bug rash and am constantly itchy. I feel like they are so small there is no possible way we will ever get rid of them.
    I could go on and on and I'm sorry for the long rambling rant, I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted and destroyed.

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 2:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Sorry to hear this. Most of us get really stressed but it does get better as the treatment starts to work. You've done the right thing calling in a PCO.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 0:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

You will get rid of bed bugs and it should get better after each treatment. Try not to panic. You're probably missing sleep. You will likely be bitten some before they're all killed off, but not sleeping or not sitting down won't prevent that.

If the anxiety/panic attacks are getting in the way, please see a doctor or mental health professional. Many here have attested to the fact that this kind of stress and anxiety can be managed with medication and/or cognitive behavioural (talk) therapy.

While your anxiety/panic symptoms may have been triggered by the bed bugs, these conditions are treatable all the same and keeping your head together is going to help you deal with bed bugs and keep your family safe and happy. If you have such treatment ongoing, a little extra mental health support right now may help.

You can get through this and many of us do understand.

Are you paying for the treatment? Can you tell us what was applied? Once monthly treatments are unusual, but it may help to know what they're doing. If you want to post that info. to a new thread, those who know more about pesticides (pros) are more likely to see it
    with a related subject title.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. LiterallyGoingCrazy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 15:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I know exactly how you're feeling. It's been about 5 months since I first started getting bitten by these nasty bugs. Out of the 5 people that live in this apartment, I am the only one that seemed to be getting bit. I have had up to 10 raised red blotches down my arm from being bitten by a bed bug (during the day, while typing on my keyboard) I don't understand how that is possible to get bit that many times without even seeing it happen.. I have had bite marks all over, most of which are now scars. I keep the lights on in my bedroom, all day long. I can't sleep at night because I am constantly on the lookout. I am so afraid that if I am asleep I won't feel them going into my ears. So I stay up at night. Watching movies that have a scene that shows somebody in bed, I find myself wondering, for a minute, how that must be to sleep all cozy in that bed without BEDBUGS... My mother bought me a mattress and box spring encasement about a week ago. After I vacuumed the room, mattress, and box spring I put them on, and haven't been bitten since. Mind you, I am constantly spraying down everything on my bed and around my bed with 91% alcohol still, I find myself up at night sitting here looking and waiting...

5. prayerfullybitten

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 17:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there - I'm new here (again), but can actually attest to what @NoBugsOnMe said. Years ago when I battled my infestation, it became the onset of stress hives, panic attacks and anxiety that I now get in other situations. For sure, it took a toll on my mental health, which is why my family is terrified I may have to battle bugs again. For years I wouldn't sleep in the dark, even and it prohibited me from traveling for work for another few years. Things did get better, I eventually had to get counseling, only to learn my obsession and phobia with bed bugs was a sign of other issues related to depression and anxiety. The experience made me aware of my mental health as I was just out of college. If not been perfect, but I'm now able to treat my anxiety and depression issues when I have them because I recognize the signs. If there was anything positive during that time, it was the awareness I got from seeking mental and emotional help. And lord knows, I'm much better these days because of it. Bed bugs was a catalyst that exposed issues so deep rooted I had no idea.

You'll get through this and you're gonna be fine. Nothing lasts forever, and you'll have the fortitude - oh my God, incredible fortitude to deal with so much more after this. The only thing in my life I experienced worse than bed bugs was losing my child. So yes, you have a right to be upset, but you can't stay focused on it. Please remember that.

6. BBRISES

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 21:45:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Terrifiedfighter,

If bites are too painful and itchy, you can try sansbug tent to get some sleep. It should protect you from bed bugs bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,214 posts in 50,140 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10