Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Terrible PCO Experience in NYC

(8 posts)
  1. dreamofsleep

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 9:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Our current PCO JB Pest Control LLC of Staten Island is turning out to be a nightmare. They're the ones contracted by our landlord. They failed to show up for their appointment today, after we spent so much time prepping the apartment, which means getting 4 roommates to prepare each bedroom and common space.

When called, they said they could come tomorrow, only at one time in the morning when none of us are available, but if not then, then not again for two weeks.

Not to mention the fact that when they did come the first time last week, all they did was spray puddles of insecticide around the baseboards. When I asked them what non-pesticide approaches they would use, they said they were only contracted to spray and that's all they would do. And then I asked why they weren't using an IPM approach, and they said they were...

Here's what JB Pest Control's bed bug strategy looks like. This is a mixture of DemonMax (Cypermethrin) and Exponent (Piperonyl butoxide) sprayed in puddles around our room:

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 9:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its such a shame to see poor quality work like this.

Please share the images with your landlord and explain that the reality of bedbugs is that a quality job done well means the issue does not last as long and therefore costs everyone less money in the long run.

Its not one of those jobs where shopping on price alone gets you the results you want. I see it all the time when someone tries to save $20 and ends up having to had a much more expensive treatment as a result and ends up spending three or four times the initial price to get the job done correctly.

You may also want to check the local laws and regulatory bodies to try to help prevent others getting the same service.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. dreamofsleep

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 9:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David for the sympathy and confirmation that insecticide shouldn't be applied like this....

We've been in constant touch with our landlord and the city, and the Department of Environment, and others - and haven't had any luck so far. The landlord doesn't care at all. They seem to be happy to meet the legal obligation to 'treat' the issue even if they don't solve it.

I've also filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, so the company should be getting those.

The frustrating part is that they're clearly completely untrained, have no knowledge of bed bugs and yet are operating with impunity.

And large real estate companies seem to contract them for buildings like ours - so consumer choice doesn't affect their business....

4. NY Bug Man

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 20:17:07
    #

Login to Send PM

This company could have trouble on their hands.

Demon max is not labeled for bed bugs. Since they're applying against what the label says, this is against the law and the applicator can get a fine.

I agree with David, its sad to see such careless nonsense. It gives us good guys a bad name. Good luck with everything else dreamofsleep. I hope sooner or later your bed bugs are gone.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 20:40:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dreams,

You need to contact the NYDEC Region Office regarding miss application of pesticides within your home. If it takes multiple calls to get results, so be it.

Good luck ! paul b.

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 20:46:05
    #

Login to Send PM

The crazy stuff they have you do to prep makes it "IPM".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 23:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Demon Max label (EPA 2012):
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/000100-01218-20120719.pdf

I see lots of pests listed there but not bed bugs.

MSDS:
    http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp6TF007.pdf

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 23:26:38
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 hours ago  » 
    Dear dreams,
    You need to contact the NYDEC Region Office regarding miss application of pesticides within your home. If it takes multiple calls to get results, so be it.
    Good luck ! paul b.

This is probably the same number you're calling, but just in case (and for others' reference), The NY DEC says,

Enforcement:
    Please call the Pesticide contact number in your Regional Office that serves your county to file a complaint concerning the misapplication of a pesticide.

and

Your NYC regional office is:

Region 2
    1 Hunter's Point Plaza
    47-40 21st Street
    Long Island City, NY 11101-5407
    Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island

and these are the numbers for complaints about:

Pesticides (718) 482-4994 (phone) (718) 482-4066 (fax)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970