Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Terminix success stories?? HELP did I waste my $$$$?

(10 posts)
  1. maggiehatesbbs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 14:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Haven't heard a single success story of Terminix using RAPID FREEZE. The PCO's seem well informed, but I'm still nervous since no one seems to think Terminix works. but we already have an expensive contract!!

We live in an apartment in a Philly row home. We cleaned, dried bagged all our clothes, vacuumed, then left our apartment for one month. During that month Terminix came out 3 times.

We returned 2 days ago, got climb ups and mattress covers, caulked EVERYWHERE and spread DE, and are constantly inspecting and drying worn clothes and bed stuff. No bites so far. Everything seems good but from my research it seems like the freezing doesn't kill them. Once my 90 day warranty is up should I expect the problem to come right back??

Also nervous to bring my 2 cats back in to the apartment since the poor babies got bit by the buggers on their cute lil heads

Anyone have a good experience with Terminix? Or any advice. Or any recommendations for good bed bug PCO in Philadelphia? Thanks!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 16:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe the rapid freezing technology is what's often discussed under the brand name Cryonite. I am not a pro but my impression is a lot of the objection stems from the technology being pushed as a one-shot treatment, which is not realistic.

Keep in mind it's a contact killer. It can kill bed bugs which are directly hit. It is not widely favored by pros around here, but that's not the same as saying you can't have success with it.

It will help if the technician is very thorough and they will probably need to repeat the process (maybe several times-- some posters here mention getting 3-4 treatments) in order to kill all bed bugs. I suspect it may help significantly on cutting down on this if they also use dusts and/or chemical sprays with a residual. Do they do this?

You may also want to implement a passive or interceptor monitor system if the PCO hasn't done so, so you can be alerted to the need for more treatments.

Please be careful with your own applications of diatomaceous earth. Most people new to it seem to over or misapply it, which can be hazardous to health and can even deter bed bugs from crossing it. Here's our DE and Cimexa FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 17:54:18
    #

Login to Send PM

The big companies sometimes have different treatment protocols. It may be based on which region of the country the franchise is located. We heard a few days ago from a poster regarding Orkin, and the fact they didn't recommend any type of monitoring system.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 16:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

maggiehatesbbs - 9 months ago  » 
    Haven't heard a single success story of Terminix using RAPID FREEZE. The PCO's seem well informed, but I'm still nervous since no one seems to think Terminix works. but we already have an expensive contract!!
    We live in an apartment in a Philly row home. We cleaned, dried bagged all our clothes, vacuumed, then left our apartment for one month. During that month Terminix came out 3 times.
    We returned 2 days ago, got climb ups and mattress covers, caulked EVERYWHERE and spread DE, and are constantly inspecting and drying worn clothes and bed stuff. No bites so far. Everything seems good but from my research it seems like the freezing doesn't kill them. Once my 90 day warranty is up should I expect the problem to come right back??
    Also nervous to bring my 2 cats back in to the apartment since the poor babies got bit by the buggers on their cute lil heads
    Anyone have a good experience with Terminix? Or any advice. Or any recommendations for good bed bug PCO in Philadelphia? Thanks!!

I was hoping you could provide an update! I just hired Terminix and they will do their first treatment next week. I want to also hear a success story!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 23:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Openmyeyes,

People have had success here with all kinds of treatments. As noted above, Cryonite isn't super popular. That doesn't mean it can't work.

Terminex, like some other large companies, tends to have service which varies from one branch to another. No one here telling you they had a good (or bad) experience is particularly relevant, unless maybe if they used the same Terminex office.

6. basementdweller

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 12:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Terminix wanted $2200 to treat my home with their "rapid freeze" technology. It was a one time treatment with a 30 day guarantee. I did a lot of reading and found it wasn't very effective and the reviews on my particular branch was so-so. I wasn't impressed so I declined and went with some else.

7. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 15:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 16 hours ago  » 
    Openmyeyes,
    People have had success here with all kinds of treatments. As noted above, Cryonite isn't super popular. That doesn't mean it can't work.
    Terminex, like some other large companies, tends to have service which varies from one branch to another. No one here telling you they had a good (or bad) experience is particularly relevant, unless maybe if they used the same Terminex office.

Yes, I definitely understand that. It would just be comforting to hear one right about now. The reviews of our local office are good, however I don't know if any of them were for bed bugs. I didn't even ask what chemical they are going to use. I am going to text the technician and ask him now.

8. Loosingmymind

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 18:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I am starting to wonder the same thing. Terminix sprayed a week ago today and I have found 2 4th-5th stage unfed in the floor and 2 nymphs on a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 22:10:58
    #

Login to Send PM

basementdweller - 1 month ago  » 
    Terminix wanted $2200 to treat my home with their "rapid freeze" technology. It was a one time treatment with a 30 day guarantee. I did a lot of reading and found it wasn't very effective and the reviews on my particular branch was so-so. I wasn't impressed so I declined and went with some else.

I am not an expert but based on what I've heard, if you are offered a single treatment with this technology, a.k.a. Cryonite, I would select another company. We have heard from people who needed multiple treatments of that kind.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 21 2016 22:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

OpenMyEyes - 1 month ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 16 hours ago  » 
    Openmyeyes,

Yes, I definitely understand that. It would just be comforting to hear one right about now. The reviews of our local office are good, however I don't know if any of them were for bed bugs. I didn't even ask what chemical they are going to use. I am going to text the technician and ask him now.

I understand.

Are you the person hiring them? If so, it sounds like it's not too late to shop around before you hire them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45