Tentatively declaring victory.

(4 posts)
  1. BugBrosHauntingMe

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 19 2019 20:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Tentatively declaring victory after over a month bite free. I went through multiple treatments (2 Heat, 1 Spray + multiple followups of my own, dog inspections). I think my whole ordeal could have been shortened significantly had I understood some things in the beginning. Lurking on this forum taught me so much, I really wish I had found this resource before I started my battle. Success stories gave me hope and kept me going so I am here to pay that back.

I will skip past the details of how they arrived basically: not totally sure how, yes confirmed professionally, I hate these things so much.

Ultimately my problem was solved with Heat (whole house treatment and repeated dryer treatment of all clothes, bags and linens), careful isolation of clothing/bags, Cimexa, Crossfire, and steam.

Things I did wrong:
    * I believed that a single heat treatment would solve the issue. It didn’t. I live in an apartment in an old house with plenty of cracks for bugs to hide in. I had two heat treats and that didn’t do it. Oh how I wanted it to fix everything….:)
    * I thought my PCO could handle it for me completely, in reality it is a partnership.
    * I treated my clothes in a dryer which was good and they were retreated during heat treatments, but I didn’t initially put them in ziplocks. I should have done this right away. I ended up having to do way more laundry than necessary. You can buy large ziplock bags and keep clothes in them inside your drawers, totally worth doing.
    * I used DE like a madwoman which was a big mistake. If you have access to Cimexa I would strongly suggest using that instead with the caveat that you must research proper application on their website. Over application of dusts only repels them and wastes your time/money and puts your health at risk.
    Things I wish I did differently:
    * Heat treatments are great but not full proof. It absolutely depends on your house, its contents, and who is treating it. I think the PCO I had was great but my house was too tricky. I wish that I had anticipated that it would not solve my problem alone and bagged my clothes carefully and either asked for a thorough follow up spray treatment of all cracks/crevices/ drawers/couch OR done this myself because in the end that is what was required for me.
    * I wish after asking for prep instructions from my PCO I double checked the websites for the products they were using to ensure my prep plan was thorough
    * My PCO treated my bed with crossfire, however I kept ClimbUp Interceptors on the feet after he did that, which I really should not have. Once my bed was weaponized I should have taken them off and let them come to their death, I only prolonged the experience by not removing them right away. These were totally useful in the beginning and helped me sleep, but once my bed was a death trap it was counter productive to keep them.
    Things I did right:
    * When I found the bugs I removed my mattress and thoroughly washed my bed frame with soapy water (I used Dr Bronner’s Sal Suds but you could use dish soap, Murphys, etc). I used a bucket and a wet rag. It kills them on contact. There’s no residual so this is only a step in an overall plan, but for areas where there is not a risk of damage or mold I would do this.
    * After two failed heat treatments (heat + cimexa behind outlet plates and crossfire on baseboards) . I asked for a thorough treatment of all cracks and crevices with crossfire. When I found there were still bugs I clarified what my PCO hadn’t hit, I then purchased Crossfire and Cimexa myself, carefully studied training videos and the instructions on the product labels and treated what had not been treated yet, in my case: inside of all drawers and furniture. This was the final nail in the coffin and I am finally free.
    Some other things:

* If you can afford it a good dry vapor steamer is a good investment. I went for the Vapamore but there are others out there. I treat my area rugs and items that couldn’t be treated with pesticide, the dryer, or cimexa with steam.
    * Bins can be very helpful but only if they are slick. If the outsides are textured or there are holes, the bugs can easily climb them and reinfect items. I found using bins to isolate my purse/backpack super helpful

There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and I really wish in my mad search for help I landed here first. I cannot express enough how amazing this blog is. Professional PCOs and experts are on here regularly giving their advice to very panicked and traumatized people on a daily basis for free. It is wonderful. This took over my life for a few months which was awful, but if you educate yourself you can beat them, and hopefully faster than I did! Keep your chin up, you can do it.

2. Somad

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 19 2019 20:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So encouraging. Good to hear a success story.

3. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 20 2019 6:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for sharing !!!! Story like yours gives me a hope !!! Happy for you !!!!

4. BugBrosHauntingMe

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jul 23 2019 17:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just cleared by a K9, gonna stay vigilant and likely treat cracks/crevices with Cimexa after the crossfire wears off, but it looks like we made it <3

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325