Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Tenant responsibility in LA, CA?

(4 posts)
  1. itchymess

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 2:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I wasn't sure I had bed bugs a few weeks ago, and then after telling my landlord he sent an exterminator out who did not do a thorough inspection, deemed it bedbugs, sprayed/treated only my bedroom, and then told me he didn't see any signs of bed bugs so maybe I didn't have them after all and it was some sort of allergic reaction or other bug. Now, a week since he came (and being bite-free), my roommate got bites and has the telltale sign of the brown smudges in her bed too. Our landlord is basically saying we need to move out or stop complaining to him.

I know each state/city's laws are different, but this seems wrong. Does anyone know if it's the landlord's responsibility to pay for an exterminator to keep up a habitable environment in Los Angeles? Also, the tenants that lived here before us just told us their son started getting bites a few weeks before they moved out. We have only been living here a month, so thinking it's from them.

Thanks!

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 6:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Itchymess...

A quick google revealed these two opinions about who is responsible for bb treatment and what to do in LA from purported licensed attorneys in California.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/who-responsible-for-getting-rid-of-bed-bugs--the-c-89326.html

Another way to find legal information and to get dependable legal information is to call the bar association in L.A. Here's the link: http://www.lacba.org/showpage.cfm?pageid=1718

Hope this helped.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 14:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The Housing Rights Center also offers

...telephone and in-person counseling to both tenants and landlords regarding their respective rights and responsibilities under California law and local city ordinances. In addition to answering basic housing questions, Counselors commonly cite specific civil codes that pertain to the client’s matter and/or provide sample letters that discuss a particular issue.

I would recommend getting in touch with them via the link above if you want to discuss your rights.

12/2012 update: see more recent LA tenant info here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 14:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in LA County, not the city of Los Angeles, but the organization I was told to contact was Fair Housing, which is my local incarnation of a tenants rights organization.

If you get any conclusive answers, I'd be super grateful if you could let us know when you know so that I'll have updated information to pass on to other Angelino/as.

Hang in there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,803 posts in 45,878 topics over 139 months by 20,203 of 21,008 members. Latest: tryingtoidenti, ieve2002, scarz12