Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Synthetic bed bug pheromones?

(3 posts)
  1. insecticidal

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 22 2011 1:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone managed to synthesize bed bug pheromones? If so, perhaps these could be used to make low/no maintenance traps & detection devices.

Okay, that's probably obvious. But taking a few steps further into fantasy land, a carnivorous plant specially engineered to eat bed bugs would be just the coolest thing. Since a venus fly trap could only handle the odd stray bug or two, it would probably need to be a pitcher plant or something of that sort. In fact, because most pheromones are short-lived, perhaps a plant is the most viable option for a pheromone-based trap.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 22 2011 4:05:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Eric Siljander and co recently identified the components of the aggregation pheromone and have applied for a patent for use of synthetic pheromones for bedbugs in traps. So, it probably won't be too long before you see this kind of thing on the market.

I like the idea of bug-eating plants. Unfortunately I suspect genetically engineered plants that produce bedbug aggregation pheromones is probably not something we are likely to see in our lifetime ; )

3. insecticidal

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 24 2011 7:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a post about that. Did his patent also cover use of heat? If so, how is that novel?

About the only novel thing I can think of doing with a heat-based trap is using a bright IR light and a specially designed reflector to concentrate more energy at larger distances, in order to increase the area of effectiveness.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081