Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Swallow bug vs bedbug pic

(7 posts)
  1. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 11:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Just received some nice swallow bugs (Oeciacus). They look just like mini bedbugs.

I thought a comparative photo might be of interest to some of you:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5407460021_70e8067d89_b.jpg

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 15:02:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

I think we need to nominate you as photographer of the year if we have the BB Oscars this year. It should be called the Buggies.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 19:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

...wow...

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 19:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

The Buggies! OMG, when I was younger a friend and I rented a small boat and when we got tired and couldn't paddle anymore, the current kept pulling us over to these stone walls which to our horror were covered with these big black ugly bugs. Every time we'd get uncomfortably too close to those walls, we'd scream "BUGGIES" at the top of our lungs and furiously paddle to get out of there. David, thanks for the trip down memory lane! Hated bugs then and I still hate them!

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 22:18:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome shots again Richard. It would be nice to get a gallery of other Cimex species with Lectularius like this one.

Jim

6. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 5:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks folks,

That's not a bad idea Jim. I have C. hemipterus in culture and I think we have C. pipistrelli in alcohol, along with Afrocimex constrictus and Cacodmus villosus. Although the latter two are unlikely to be a problem for most people, unless they spend their weekends crawling around in bat caves in Kenya!

If I have any spare time this weekend, I'll dig out the specimens and takes some shots.

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 6:21:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's more info on swallow bugs:

Swallow bug (Oeciacus vicarius). The swallow bug is a parasite of cliff swallows and, less commonly, barn swallows. Problems with human bites occur in homes where swallows attached and maintained nests during the previous summer. Swallow bug bites of humans tend to occur in late winter and spring, when the swallow bugs emerge from winter dormancy in anticipation of the return of their swallow hosts. The insects are largely dormant during the period between the time nests are abandoned in summer and just prior to the return of swallows the following spring.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,483 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk